• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jasper has a little friend

jasperpaw

We welcomed into our home a little friend for Jasper, he is a 8 week old blenheim and his name is Ollie. It was a difficult decision if we should bring another dog into our home as Jasper is now 10 yrs old and after much thought we felt that the time was right. Ollie is a delight a really sweet little puppy, very lively and full of mischief, he is eating really well and settled in very well, he seems to sense that Jasper is not sure as he will go to him and either stand a little distance away or lay in front of him. Jasper most of the time walks off and jumps on his chair, but occasionally they have both laid on the floor together - but at a little distance, I have been keeping a close eye on both. We bought a crate for Ollie which will help a great deal. If anyone has any advice I would be most grateful, we have never had two dogs together before. I have taken some photos and will post them with my son`s help when he is about.

Congratulations!!

Hopefully in time as Ollie grows up they will become good friends. It's quite hard for a 10 year old to adjust to a bouncy baby puppy - but it sounds like Ollie is respecting Jasper so that is good.

I think the main thing is to give Jasper plenty of time away from Ollie - a crate or exercise pen is a good idea.

Thank you everyone, and yes Nicki we have tried to carry on with the same routine as before and still let him know we love him very much, we felt that a puppy would not be such a threat as an older dog, the quick movements make Jasper jump a bit. I must admit I had forget how lively and bouncy they can be and all the strange hiding places Ollie seems to go and being very small we can`t find him. Although we also had Jasper at 8 weeks, Ollie looks so small.

When I got my Megan (now aged 11) she was only 5 months old and my old B/T was 8 years and had always been an only dog. :d*g:

It took much longer than I was expecting for Louie to actually acknowledge Megan's existence (about 6 months if I'm honest) but thereafter they became bosom pals. So be prepared to give it quite a bit of time.

Good luck and do let us know how they are getting on

...little friend...

We too will be in a similar position as on Saturday we will be bringing home Bessie who is 8 weeks, to Monty who is 3 and lost his lifetime companion some 6 weeks ago. He has been devastated being alone and still howls at times during the night. We do hope Bessie will give him the companionship he craves. He is a large Cavalier of Golden hue with a white blaze down his front. He doesnt look like a Cavalier until you really study hom. He is far too big.
Bessie is a tri colour and will be a more normal size. probably more like the Blenheim we had previously. It is going to be interesting but I am glad I am not the only one who has to ask younger members of the family to help with photos.

When I got my Megan (now aged 11) she was only 5 months old and my old B/T was 8 years and had always been an only dog. :d*g:

It took much longer than I was expecting for Louie to actually acknowledge Megan's existence (about 6 months if I'm honest) but thereafter they became bosom pals. So be prepared to give it quite a bit of time.

Good luck and do let us know how they are getting on

It was a very difficult decision for us to get another dog, in some ways it felt a bit selfish to put Jasper through this after being the only dog for so long, they seem to get on better outside rather than in, but Jasper is still very scared of Ollie. My son has put some photos of Ollie and Jasper on my album, he could`nt work out how to put them into a thread. He has settled in very well, eating really well and trying to take Jasper`s food as well, he is very lively. We took him to the vets for a check up and inoculation last night and all is well.

Welcome to Baby Ollie.:)

I'm sure that Jasper will soon get use to having a little friend around and will eventually enjoy having another cavalier to keep him company.

:) I'm sure they will work each other out - Barney is eight now and we've only had Cassie for four months. She's now six months old.

To begin with I think Barney wondered when she was leaving but now they get on great. He calms her a little and she livens him up - much less lazing, snoring on the sofa for him now.

A few times a week he chases her around like a mad thing it's sooo funny!! The rest of the time they busy around the house happily. He has too much patience with her sometimes and she gets away with too much!!

The first time he really played with her I was so pleased it brought a tear to my eye. Like you a lot of thought went into getting another dog and I was worried at first about leaving them together etc but all is good now....Give them time they both need to learn where eachothers boundaries are :))

Ollie's first day at home - xx home sweet home xx

attachment.php

We too will be in a similar position as on Saturday we will be bringing home Bessie who is 8 weeks, to Monty who is 3 and lost his lifetime companion some 6 weeks ago. He has been devastated being alone and still howls at times during the night. We do hope Bessie will give him the companionship he craves. He is a large Cavalier of Golden hue with a white blaze down his front. He doesnt look like a Cavalier until you really study hom. He is far too big.
Bessie is a tri colour and will be a more normal size. probably more like the Blenheim we had previously. It is going to be interesting but I am glad I am not the only one who has to ask younger members of the family to help with photos.

Congratulations Fanny, I hope you have as much fun as we are with your new pup, so sorry to read that you have lost your last dog. My daughter finally posted photos for me, but she had a struggle, she is more into facebook and ebay.

Congratulations on your new arrival Pam.
I was on holidays when you got him so missed this post He's so gorgeous,obviously comes from a very good looking family:D.
Sins

Thank you everyone, yes Sins it looks like we are now related,and we hope to take him down to meet his Dad next month, apparently he is from a naughty family.:D We have now had Ollie for just over a month and it feels like he has always been with us, he is very lively, eats really well, has been to a Puppy Party last week and went to his first Puppy Training last Friday, he loves everyone and is not frightened of any other dogs which is lovely for us to see as Jasper as a pup was never fussed about other dogs, only his few little friends, but perferred people. Jasper is gradaully getting used to his little friend and they do seem to get on better together outside. It`s been quite hard work, but all good fun.:)

Back