• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tiny for her age

Molly76

I am back with yet another question....Molly is coming up to five months and I was thinking she was very small for her age and she has not grown much in the last 2-3 weeks....I met a neighbour who has a kc pup the same age and he was so much bigger you would think there was 2-3 months in age difference his coat was alos much longer, Molly still has her short puppy hair.Is it ok that she is so little?:lpy:

There can be a lot of variation in size. If your puppy seems to have stopped growing you might want to check for intestinal parasites, or nutritional problems. Coat length can vary tremendously also, it's possible your girl just doesn't have a very long coat genetically, although nutrition could effect this.

I have just changed to James Wellbeloved dry food so maybe that will aid her, she has been treated for the other so I think I can safely rule that one out......maybe she is just going to be small like myself! :)

She is full of energy so I take that as a good sign....already sits at the door waiting for a walk in the evening.:l*v:

Thanks for the advice

My girl is tiny too! Shes aprox 7-8 months now (she's a rescue so I dont know exactly!) & she weighs 4.4kgs - almost half Sparky's weight! She dosnt have a long coat like Sparky does either, there seems to be an awfull lot of variation in Cavaliers!

I wouldn't worry too much, my girl is tiny too. She's 10lbs and 15 months. She's been thoroughly checked out by 3 different vets throughout her life including a cardiologist and optometrist and is completely healthy. Very active, strong, healthy heart, no problems. She has always just been on the petite side.

She looks so funny in her nice new soft puppia harness...it looks so big on her little body bless her. She is so much small then my mums dog but she will still take her on in play no bother to her looks funny....She is doing so well with the training which is great as I heard they are hard to train..tho she is such a little diva already that she wont go out to do her business when it is raining!

I don’t know who told you that Cavaliers are hard to train. I know they can be stubborn and have their little funny behaviours but I think they are one of the easiest breed to train they are very clever and pick up things really quick. I never had any problems with my three in either house training or obedience training. The closer the bond between you and your dog the better the training.

It as someone who who just doesnt bother to train their kc! :|I find it so rewarding and Molly loves it as well her tail never stops wagging even when she is really focused...a well mannered dog is a pleasure.

I weighed Molly tonight and see is 2.5 kilo shw will be 5 months 8 July. She was 1 kilo at 10 weeks so at least shw has gained a small bit....I weighted her in the baking scales she fit in the bowl just about;)

As others have said, Cavaliers seem to vary in size and coat.In my experience I've often found that males seem "stockier" even at a young age.Scarlett is often mistaken for being a few months younger than she is as I would describe her as petite, also.Though I find it confusing because she weights 14lbs but to look at you wouldn't think.She's fine health wise, of course.I'm wondering if it could be muscle tone?

Providing Molly is healthy, I think the variation just shows how they can be just like us.

as they say muscel weighs greater then fat!!! The breeder (who is an awful breeder I found out after I got Molly) is known to produce small pups so I guess Molly will be petit just like her owner.....alot of people think she is one of those lil handbag dolls you see all the celebs with :) I am killed explaining she is a baby.

We are going to vet thursday for a check up anyhow just to put my mind at ease....I am an awful worry wort.

just home from the vet. Molly is far to small for her age so I have to up her feeding plan and bring her back in 4 weeks....still not sure why she scratching so much so will have to keep an eye on that. So fingers crosses she will grow a little and be ok:xfngr:

Skippy is maybe 18-19 pounds and just turned 1 year old recently. Most of the comments I've been getting is that he's much bigger/lankier than other cavs, though I've always thought he was average-sized.

We got wii fit plus, its handy and you can weight dogs and babies on it!!

Charlie is 9kg and Sam is 13kg, they have completely different builds. Sam on paper is overweight but its all muscle, they have an hour run a day or longer, its all off lead so they are very fit.

Back