Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have to make the most awful decision ever and I dont know what to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have to make the most awful decision ever and I dont know what to do.

We have just had the most awful news, we brought out 10 year old CKC to the vet yesterday evening after noticing over the weekend that he is running into doors and bumping of things, he had gone off his food over the last few weeks and has lost weight.

We were told that his sight is totally gone in his right eye and very limited in the left. this really has only come on over the weekend, they kept him in to do bloods to see if it was kidney or liver failure but he bloods came back fine so they x rayed him and have found a tumor in his abdomen that is bleeding internally, but that this has nothing to do with him loosing his sight.

they said they can open him up to see how bad it is but because he is so weak that he may not make it through the operation but on the other hand he may come out fine and get stronger and better, that a blind dog isn't a dead dog.

but he also said that if the tumor is too big they may make a decision there and then to let him go to sleep.

I need to now make the decision on what to do put him through the operation or put him to sleep, they want to operate on him this evening.

I am all over the place and don't know what to do.
    Deborah & Cailum

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What a dreadful decision to have to face

I have sent you a PM - you are in our thoughts and I know others will be thinking the same but might not feel able to reply, so please don't think they are ignoring you.

This is something we would all dread having to face - give Cailum a gentle hug from us
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Deborah, I am so sorry you are in this situation It's such a hard decision to have to make and such an emotional one. I was in a similar situation 4 years ago with my Rudee ; she was 12yrs and 9mths and she started to go downhill very fast. We were at the vets twice daily and everyone had a different opinion. I was up all night three nights running and in the end I looked at my precious girl and I knew in my heart that it was her time and I let her go peacefully but it took every ounce of strength and courage that I could muster.

Take your time and know that we are all here for you and praying for you and Cailum.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Deborah my heart goes out to you.
    I canít give you any advice only you know what is right in the end. I will be thinking of you and praying for Cailum.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

HI

Kindest thoughts and wishes from all us ,we know that whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and Cailum.

All our best wishes to you, and a big hug to Cailum from me and my girls.

brian
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you Deborah. Be strong for Cailum.
    Willow, Bertie & Finn [Blenheim & Tri Cavs],Eden [German Shepherd], Casper [BF Amazon], 2 ex-Bat Hens, 4 Cockatiels & a Barraband in a pear tree

Post Thanks / Like

oh my, my heart goes out to you.
    if it helps to know other people's opinions well i will give mine, if its no help feel free to ignore it.

i would give him every chance to make it. blind dogs can cope and i think if you don't give him the chance you might regret it.

hugs from me and wriggly licks from Peaches and please, let us know what happens
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sorry you are in this awful position. My heart goes out to you.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

It is really so difficult. I wouldn't know what to do myself. You're in our prayers... let us know how things are.

Post Thanks / Like

What a terrible decision for you to have to make. Everyone on here will feel you're sorrow and all I can do is send hugs to you.
    Like the others I feel that what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. He's your fellow and you know him best......good luck with what ever you decide

Mel
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)