• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I have to make the most awful decision ever and I dont know what to do.

deborah

We have just had the most awful news, we brought out 10 year old CKC to the vet yesterday evening after noticing over the weekend that he is running into doors and bumping of things, he had gone off his food over the last few weeks and has lost weight.

We were told that his sight is totally gone in his right eye and very limited in the left. this really has only come on over the weekend, they kept him in to do bloods to see if it was kidney or liver failure but he bloods came back fine so they x rayed him and have found a tumor in his abdomen that is bleeding internally, but that this has nothing to do with him loosing his sight.

they said they can open him up to see how bad it is but because he is so weak that he may not make it through the operation but on the other hand he may come out fine and get stronger and better, that a blind dog isn't a dead dog.

but he also said that if the tumor is too big they may make a decision there and then to let him go to sleep.

I need to now make the decision on what to do put him through the operation or put him to sleep, they want to operate on him this evening.

I am all over the place and don't know what to do.

What a dreadful decision to have to face :(:(:(

I have sent you a PM - you are in our thoughts and I know others will be thinking the same but might not feel able to reply, so please don't think they are ignoring you.

This is something we would all dread having to face - give Cailum a gentle hug from us

Deborah, I am so sorry you are in this situation :hug: It's such a hard decision to have to make and such an emotional one. I was in a similar situation 4 years ago with my Rudee ; she was 12yrs and 9mths and she started to go downhill very fast. We were at the vets twice daily and everyone had a different opinion. I was up all night three nights running and in the end I looked at my precious girl and I knew in my heart that it was her time and I let her go peacefully but it took every ounce of strength and courage that I could muster.

Take your time and know that we are all here for you and praying for you and Cailum.

Oh Deborah my heart goes out to you.
I can’t give you any advice only you know what is right in the end. I will be thinking of you and praying for Cailum.

HI

Kindest thoughts and wishes from all us ,we know that whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and Cailum.

All our best wishes to you, and a big hug to Cailum from me and my girls.

brian

oh my, my heart goes out to you.
if it helps to know other people's opinions well i will give mine, if its no help feel free to ignore it.

i would give him every chance to make it. blind dogs can cope and i think if you don't give him the chance you might regret it.

hugs from me and wriggly licks from Peaches and please, let us know what happens

It is really so difficult. I wouldn't know what to do myself. You're in our prayers... let us know how things are.:hug:

What a terrible decision for you to have to make. Everyone on here will feel you're sorrow and all I can do is send hugs to you.:(
Like the others I feel that what ever decision you make will be the right one for you. He's your fellow and you know him best......good luck with what ever you decide

Mel

I'm so sorry, what an awful position to be in. I hope your doctors are able to give you some guidance in mkaing your decision. Whatever your decision, it's the right one for you.

So very sorry, what a difficult decision to have to make, only you know what the right decision will be, but we are thinking of you and and praying for little Cailum.:hug:

It's a hard question to answer but if I used my head and not my heart, I would try the operation and leave the vet to decide if it's better to let him go while under the anesthetic. It seems it's his only chance. The horrible thing is, you don't have much time to decide and come to terms with it. I'll say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry :hug:

It's a hard question to answer but if I used my head and not my heart, I would try the operation and leave the vet to decide if it's better to let him go while under the anesthetic. It seems it's his only chance. The horrible thing is, you don't have much time to decide and come to terms with it. I'll say a prayer for you. I'm so sorry :hug:

Deborah,

I am thinking like Pauline on Callum's problem, give him the chance, just remember Callum won't know what is going on.

Bet

Me too I know how you are feeling
---Aileen

On the other hand, I got an email from a friend today saying a cancer had been removed from her dog but a lot of muscle was taken with it and the dog was now limping. I hope the vet considers the outcome with regard to quality of life post-op.

I don't want to influence any decision here, just saying what's on my mind.

I'm so sorry about Callum and the decision you must make about the operation. Only you can make this hard decision and I know that whatever you decide will be the best for your Callum.

Sending hugs to you and Callum.

Heather R

Thank you all for the kind words, Cailum joined the doggy angels this evening around 6pm, he fell asleep in my arms and we brought him home and buried him under the swing in the back garden, I am so upset but I know I made the right decision for him. I couldn't let him suffer anymore.

Thank you all for the kind words, Cailum joined the doggy angels this evening around 6pm, he fell asleep in my arms and we brought him home and buried him under the swing in the back garden, I am so upset but I know I made the right decision for him. I couldn't let him suffer anymore.

Oh Deborah,

I feel such sadness and tears always come whenever someone tells us news of a precious baby flying to the angels. I cant imagine how you must be feeling but the fact that you feel you made the right decision will give you some peace in your heart I do hope.
My thoughts are with you and your family

:(

Back