• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coughing & Sneezing...

PaddysMummy

My 8 month old cavvie has been sneezing quite a lot over the last few days, I wondered if dogs could get hay fever?

Yesterday he started coughing, only about half a dozen times but it was quite a hacking cough. Today he's been coughing some more but not as bad, he's still sneezing quite a lot.

He's totally fine in himself, eating his food (His kibble! For anybody that saw my other thread :)) his stools are normal, usual energy levels etc.

Is this something I should take him to the vets for? Or should I leave it a few more days and see how he is?

He hasn't had the vaccination for kennel cough btw.

Hi.....Molly woke me up last night with lots of sneezing she has never done this before but it lasted around 40 mins and t hen she went back to sleep...she seems fine this morning and not off her food and full of life.

lindylou

hi

yes dogs can get hay fever my rowley at the bridge suffered from hay fever in his younger day's his eyes realy suffered but as he got older he grow out of it. the vet gave him medication.

It's a bad summer for allergies in humans as pollen counts are very high due to good weather, so could be hay fever all right. I don't think you tend to get sneezing with kennel cough but someone else may have gone through this and know more.

It would be worth seeing your vet as constant sneezing combined with coughing could indicate she has something like a grass seed caught up in her sinuses and this could become infected or create more serious problems. It is always worth ringing your vet and talking to them about whether or not they think you should come in, whenever you see any unusual symptoms that can have any sort of medical cause. (y)

My little Crestie, Armani, is just getting over kennel cough which she caught from a rescue dog from the pound that I was fostering. She started with a really bad hacking cough, bringing up loads of white foamy stuff. Then she went on to have mad bouts of sneezing quite a bit as well as the coughing. She was on antibiotics from day 1 and is just about over it now. Before taking her to the vet I told them what I thought it was and arranged to wait outside in the car until they called me because it is so contageous, so if you do decide to take your dog to the vet I would let them know and keep him away from other dogs. Chaos and Imps were immunised against it last year and luckily, fingers crossed, are OK. Armani continued to eat normally the whole time by the way. Hope he gets better soon.

Back