• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leo: bad SM session yesterday

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm over in the UK with some of the dogs and Leo has been scratching a lot more than usual. Then, he fell off the bed yesterday and a coupleof hours later went into a screaming session several times, which was extremely distressing for all as well as terrible and frightening for him. He defecated all over himself and vomited several times. We got him to the local vets who were very good; he got a painkiller injection and rimadyl and tramadol. Very groggy all evening and still a bit this morning, but comfortable. I spoke to Clare Rusbridge on whether to bring him to London and opt for surgery and we went through the pros and cons.

For now we are going to get him stabilised and see how he does. If he has further problems then I will bring him across again for surgery or on our next journey over. He now has a grade 4 heart murmur (at only 6 :( ) that came on very quickly so I have that in mind as an element to consider too.

At least I am glad I had him here with me. Hopefully he will not have one of these again.:xfngr:

Karlin, sorry to hear about poor Leo, hope he is recovering and you too! It must be very distressing to see him go through something like that. Hope he doesn't suffer like that again :xfngr:

Oh no I'm so sorry Karlin. If I can help in anyway please let me know, I'll pm you my number. I'm in Essex about 45 minutes from London. Poor Leo and poor you, that must have been so frightening. :hug:

I'm so sorry Karlin. :(
:xfngr: that he feels better on the meds and you don't have to opt the surgery route.

It must be so distressing for you and poor Leo. I will be thinking of you. Please keep us updated on how your both doing.

Poor Leo and poor you :(

So sorry he is unwell, fingers crossed he will stablise and you won't have to make a descision on surgery.

That must of been terribly upsetting and worrying:(. Thank goodness you were there for him. Poor Leo, fingers crossed this is a one off..

I am able to offer help too if needed, transport from anywhere to Wimbledon or anything else you might need.

All healing thoughts for Leo, Karlin - that must have been so very distressing for all of you. Let's hope it was a one off and he will soon be feeling more settled again. It's just awful watching something like that happen.

Do let us know how he is getting on, won't you?

Flowerspoog.gif

I'm so relieved that he was with you when this happened. To imagine this happening if no one was with him just breaks me up. I can't imagine how difficult that was for you to witness. I know how I feel when one of mine is merely hurt, but to actually go through losing his bowels and vomitting, it must have been horrific. Know that we're all here for you and wishing the best for you and Leo. So glad you have so many great people to turn to for advice and I know Leo will get the best possible care.

I am able to offer help too if needed, transport from anywhere to Wimbledon or anything else you might need.

I can't offer transport but we have plenty of room here if you would rather not be sleeping in a hotel or want some company. It's quiet here.

Thanks so much for so many kind thoughts and offers of help. I really appreciate it (and so does Leo... :) ).

I am glad to say he is much better. Clare Rusbridge gave me some helpful treatment suggestions. I am going to try him on a new mix of medications and see how he does -- and weigh up the pros and cons of surgery. He is curled up now next to Jaspar on the bed while i write this and has had a nice quiet day -- mainly a long drive through the Devon countryside with us and two dog pals. I found him a little sheepskin pet rug for the back seat so he likes that. :)

The whole session was very upsetting all around and I hope I never hear that scream again. :( The vets here were so kind and helpful given that they had no history to work from except what I could tell them.

We have had a really lovely time here though overall, despite this concern, and I would highly recommend the village of Ilfracombe for dog lovers! The cottage we are in is dog friendly and there are dogs absolutely everywhere which makes for a lovely environment.

I'm so sorry Karlin. What terrible news, how frightening that whole experience must have been... thank goodness you were able to get help from where you were. Good Luck and sending positive healing vibes your way.:paw:

Glad to hear things have settled down a bit. Poor Leo must have been so frightened and you too. At least you were there to help him. Give the little boy a hug and kiss from me :hug:Enjoy the rest of your trip in a very beautiful part of world.

LEO: Bad SM SESSION Yesterday.

Glad to hear things have settled down a bit. Poor Leo must have been so frightened and you too. At least you were there to help him. Give the little boy a hug and kiss from me :hug:Enjoy the rest of your trip in a very beautiful part of world.

Thinking about You and Leo,hopefully this was a One-Off

Bet

Sorry to hear this Karlin, it must have been a very frightening experience for you and obviously also for Leo. :( How distressing for you, especially when you are away from home.

Hopefully the new combination of meds will work and he'll be stabilised. :xfngr:

Sorry to read about poor Leo, thank goodness you had taken him with you, and also, thank goodness he is feeling a bit better now. I hope the rest of your holiday goes better for you, and that Leo will be back to his usual self again.

Back