Thread: 2 dogs in one crate?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 dogs in one crate?

Is it possible to put two dogs in one crate? My cav have a 36" x 23" x 24" crate in our small living room and our second dog (a pug) is in a playpen in the kitchen. I was thinking that in the future when our pug is house broken I'll use only one crate since our current crate is roomy and big for one toy dog. But if this is not possible then I have to re-arrange the living room to make room for another crate. We only crate our cav when we leave the house to do some errands. The cav sleeps in his bed in our bedroom. The cav is free to roam the house during the day since I am home all day and can watch him by the way he knows how to ring the bell hanging on the door when he wants to go out. The same set-up will be made for the pug when he is housebroken or at least a year old.

Let me hear your thoughts about this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2 dogs in crate

i have a very large crate in my kitchen and my three dogs all female share it with no problems in the last three years

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Once they are happy together and as you say, the Pug is fully house trained, then I'm sure they will enjoy being crated together. My Cavaliers always like to cuddle up - and Cavaliers generally will cuddle up with other breeds or even other species such as cats or rabbits given the opportunity!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

My two boys share a crate whenever they are crated...which is rare, but when they are they don't mind at all
    Carrie - Mom to my boys, Miles (a Ruby born 4/15/07) and Truman (a B&T born 11/28/07) and my girls, cats Hailey and Kayla (born @ 4/15/04 - they were found as strays )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have two in one and three in another at nighttime or in the car. as Nicki says they tend to like to cuddle and form a pile. but you do want to be very sure they get along as you'd not want to risk a fight in a small space like a crate. I don't put potential argument starters in crates with multiple dogs ever (eg toys or treats).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

i have a big 48 inch crate that three of mine like to be in together. The fourth sometimes will join them. I just leave the door open all the time and they just go in whenever they want. However, like Karlin I never put high-value treats in there with them.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Since Chester (pug) is in a play pen in the kitchen, sometimes Brice (cavalier) would go there and cuddle up with Chester inside the pen or Chester would go to Brice's crate. So far no problems and I hope this will stay the same.

By the way thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences about my particular question.