• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 dogs in one crate?

raleej337

Is it possible to put two dogs in one crate? My cav have a 36" x 23" x 24" crate in our small living room and our second dog (a pug) is in a playpen in the kitchen. I was thinking that in the future when our pug is house broken I'll use only one crate since our current crate is roomy and big for one toy dog. But if this is not possible then I have to re-arrange the living room to make room for another crate. We only crate our cav when we leave the house to do some errands. The cav sleeps in his bed in our bedroom. The cav is free to roam the house during the day since I am home all day and can watch him by the way he knows how to ring the bell hanging on the door when he wants to go out. The same set-up will be made for the pug when he is housebroken or at least a year old.

Let me hear your thoughts about this.

2 dogs in crate

i have a very large crate in my kitchen and my three dogs all female share it with no problems in the last three years :p

Once they are happy together and as you say, the Pug is fully house trained, then I'm sure they will enjoy being crated together. My Cavaliers always like to cuddle up - and Cavaliers generally will cuddle up with other breeds or even other species such as cats or rabbits given the opportunity!

My two boys share a crate whenever they are crated...which is rare, but when they are they don't mind at all :D

I have two in one and three in another at nighttime or in the car. :) as Nicki says they tend to like to cuddle and form a pile. :lol: but you do want to be very sure they get along as you'd not want to risk a fight in a small space like a crate. I don't put potential argument starters in crates with multiple dogs ever (eg toys or treats).

i have a big 48 inch crate that three of mine like to be in together. The fourth sometimes will join them. I just leave the door open all the time and they just go in whenever they want. However, like Karlin I never put high-value treats in there with them.

Since Chester (pug) is in a play pen in the kitchen, sometimes Brice (cavalier) would go there and cuddle up with Chester inside the pen or Chester would go to Brice's crate. So far no problems and I hope this will stay the same.

By the way thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences about my particular question.

Back