• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any recommendations for pet insurance

jasperpaw

Now that we have little Ollie I will have to start looking into insurance. Jasper is insured with Pet Plan and has been since a few months old. I don`t know if they give discount for two dogs, they are expensive, the premium went up a lot when he was 8 yrs old and it was when he was 9 that we started to claim for MVD, but I won`t be changing Jasper from them as we make regular claims for his MVD, they have never questioned any of his claims and he has a life time policy. I would be very grateful for any advice of pet insurance companies that are good and offer life time policies for a reasonable price.

We have Pet protect. My vet recommended them. They offer life long cover. When Leo was MRI's last year they paid it directly....I didnt have to pay then claim back.
They were very promt and even sent me a letter afterwards saying they hoped Leo was ok and feeling better, nice touch I thought.

Their prices are reasonable too.

My Jasper is with Petplan, they are good, I have claimed and have had no problems, Gabby is with Axa, it is basically the same as Petplan (cover for life) but is much cheaper, I pay £25.something for Jasper and his cover increases slightly each year, I pay £10.something for Gabby and it is actually cheaper then the previous year but I have never claimed on her. Petplans excess is £75.00 Axa's is £50.00 (I think). I would definately recommend looking into Axa :)

I found this thread interesting, albeit too late for Charlie, but I will keep it for the future...

When I rehomed Charlie 4 years ago, I was given 4 weeks free insurance with Pet Plan, already covered when I took him home. When the 4 weeks was almost up, I was asked if I wanted to renew, I think it was something like £400 odd for a for life policy?

Anyhow, as time has gone, I have renewed every year without fail. But my excess has never been £75??

Twice I have taken Charlie to the vet outside of his boosters and castration, 1 for a loose tooth and once when another dog attacked him and cut his ear. The emergency consultation and medication was still less than the excess I had to pay.

Sadly at this renewal I had no choice but to cancel. They have Charlies age as 8 at renewal date. £115 excess, £70 payout from theft/straying or death from injury (what I paid for him at Battersea) and £50.30 a month - £603.70 annual premium.
I said that I was entitled to treatment from the PDSA and would rather donate that money and pay for his treatment, it was just too expensive. They cancelled without any qualms. Unfortunately, Charlie was diagnosed by the PDSA with advanced MVD (see my thread) just 3 months on, so there is no going back and I cant say how the claim would have been with Pet Plan, but for future knowledge I would be keen to find out why my premium was so high in comparison to eg Jasper and Gabbys :?

I use Petplan, I have guaranteed life cover for Molly and Dougall, I can claim up to £8,000 per year per dog. The premium for this is £40.00 per month each. Dotty has the same cover £6,000 per year, £30.00 per month. £90.00 excess for each condition.
It might seem expensive but I exceeded the £8,000 with Molly last year and claimed around £6,000 on Dougall. Fingers crossed Dotty will stay ok.

Back