Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a Cavalier King James?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, thanks Bet, the information you have given is fascinating.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

never heard of a king james spaniel the black and tan colour is king charles. probably just confusion

as for SM , in lady lytons book toy dogs and their ancestors (1911 ) it is mentioned that older dogs sometime develop a habit of scratching without obvious reason

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default What's a CAVALIER KING JAMES?

Quote Originally Posted by AT View Post
    never heard of a king james spaniel the black and tan colour is king charles. probably just confusion

as for SM , in lady lytons book toy dogs and their ancestors (1911 ) it is mentioned that older dogs sometime develop a habit of scratching without obvious reason
    WHAT'S A CAVALIER KING JAMES?

Unfortunately there is more than just Scratching for the Symptoms of SM.

Until I am proved wrong, I still say that the Recreation of the Cavaliers Heads from the Larger Type of Head from 30-40years to the Smaller ,Deeper Stop ,Shorter Muzzle Type of Head in many of to-days Cavaliers ,is some-how involved with their SM Problem.

Could this be causing less space available for the Cavalier Brains?

If we only knew ,with evidence to prove it ,that Cavaliers were suffering from SM 50-60 years ago, but this can never be proved, not like the MVD Problem in our Breed.

The only thing I can say is ,I have a Cavalier Pedigree ,of a Cavalier MRI Scanned ,no CM or SM, and the Pedigree can be traced back to the Cross between the Cavalier and Cocker Spaniel in the 1950's.

I know that it can't be said that Cavaliers with a Larger Type of Head could be free of SM, since SM by all accounts is now so wide-spread, that even those Cavaliers probably will have the SM Gene.

Why Oh Why did not many of the Cavalier Breeders who were determined to cover up this Horrible Disease,listen to the warning given years ago about it, and MRI Scan their Cavalier Breeding Stock then .

They should not be kidding themselves , those who buried their Heads in the Sand about the SM Problem ,SM has now like MVD got a grip on our Cavalier Breed and it's no use saying the Cavaliers are a Healthy Breed.

Bet.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd not heard of a King James either - think someone is making things up

Brian, solid Black Cavaliiers do occasionally occur - it's never been a recognised colour though. There was one on the board a while back.

Black and White was once a recognised colour but it was found that the pigment wasn't good and it was discontinued - they do occasionally still occur {Like Cathy's Micah }

You can sometimes see faint colouring where the tan should be.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org