Thread: Puppy farm legislation passes- hooray, a great day for cavaliers!

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Puppy farm legislation passes- hooray, a great day for cavaliers!

At long last, and after several years of work (many here helped by making submissions and sending emails and letters fromIreland and abroad) the anti puppy farming legislation was FINALLY passed in the Irish parliament today:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0708/dogbreeding.html

Thanks to the Green Party and Minister John Gormley who finally brought into law a proposal begun about 7 years ago in Ireland under the previous government. Despite an attempt to label this a Green agenda issue only by some other parties, it was actually a cross party issue but took the Greens to make happen the promises of other parties from a disgracefully long time ago. This legislation was promised by Fianna Fáil Minister Dick Roche in *2006*!!!!

Many of us are celebrating today as finally, the police and dog wardens have legislation with real teeth to close down puppy farms and raise standards at the establishemnts of those who do breed.

Cavaliers are one of the most exploited breeds in Ireland. This is a GREAT day for dogs like Rosie, a recent Irish Cavalier Rescue dog from a puppy farm.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Puppy Farm Legislation Passes -Horray,a Great Day For Cavaliers

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    At long last, and after several years of work (many here helped by making submissions and sending emails and letters fromIreland and abroad) the anti puppy farming legislation was FINALLY passed in the Irish parliament today:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0708/dogbreeding.html

Thanks to the Green Party and Minister John Gormley who finally brought into law a proposal begun about 7 years ago in Ireland under the previous government. Despite an attempt to label this a Green agenda issue only by some other parties, it was actually a cross party issue but took the Greens to make happen the promises of other parties from a disgracefully long time ago. This legislation was promised by Minister Dick Roche in *2006*!!!!

Many of us aRe celebrating today as finally, the police and dog wardens have legislation with real teeth to close down puppy farms and raise standards at the establishemnts of those who do breed.

Cavaliers are one of the most exploited breeds in Ireland. This is a GREAT day for dogs like Rosie, a recent Irish Cavalier Rescue dog from a puppy farm.
    Hopefully the same will soon happen on this side of the Irish Sea.

Well done to all of you who were involved in getting this Legislation Passed.

Bet.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Woo hoo!!! Great news. Pippa is also a product of a puppy. I will never know what her first two years of her life were like.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well done to all of you who fought this battle! CONGRATULATIONS!
    Charlotte & Christian
    Molly & Éowyn & Khaleesi

Post Thanks / Like

It really is a great day for all dogs (apart from the greyhounds!) but yes in particular a great day for Cavaliers...heres to an end of the thousands of dogs would have suffered if this bill hadn't been passed...big SHAME ON YOU to Sinn Fein & Fine Gael...you never did get my vote, but I definitely won't be supporting you EVER!!

Bonnie & Rosie are the lucky ones as is Pippa, I am sure there are a few more out there, god help the ones who didn't get out...think you maybe inundated with ex breeding dogs soon Karlin....all hands to the deck I think!

But it is a great day...well done to you Karlin for highlighting it all those years back, and a big thank you to everyone who bombarded their TDs to get them to vote correctly...I know I for one am humbled by your passion
    Lucille,

Des, Penny, Bonnie, Zoe & Georgia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fine Gael also have vowed to reverse the hunt legislation which just banned the cruel carted stag hunt done by only one solitary hunt club in Ireland. I intend to give them a piece of my mind every time I meet them on the doorstep and they have lost any vote of mine as well. Sinn Fein -- just pathetic as well.

I know from political contacts that the Greens bravely held very firm on both these bills and the amendments were minor. The greyhound issue should not matter -- critics were right that there would have been two sets of legislation dealing with greys and arguably it makes sense for it to be one place only. As there is already separate greyhound welfare legislation in existence it probably makes more sense for that to amended. My understanding is there's no intention to weaken any application to greyhounds.

For those who made their voices heard by contacting TDs etc -- this was really important and I am sure helped keep the bill on track.

This was a looooong, loooong journey to get this through, and hopefully this will change Ireland's status of being Europe's puppy farm capital.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

What superb news from Ireland and it looks as though The Welsh Assembly are shortly going to act so lets all hope things start to move here in the UK ,but personally I think the tide is finally turning ,well done to all our people involved in the fight for the improvement of animal welfare .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T