Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy farm legislation passes- hooray, a great day for cavaliers!

Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant news, especially for our poor little Cavaliers.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mountains can be moved if people care enough.

Congratulations to all those involved.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Marie-Anne taken over by
    Hattie (Blenheim) Poppy (Blenheim) + Lucy (Shih-tzu)
    Louie, Joss, Peppa, Megan, Victoria all waiting patiently at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah!!!! Thanks Karlin

Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday was a great day for Cavaliers indeed!

Our Jack was a product of a puppy farm, and I really hope that these terrible places finally get what they deserve.....
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

Great news!!
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Such great news. I waited anxiously yesterday to hear if this legislation had passed given the controversy earlier last week about the stag hunting bill. Shame on those political parties who did not support this. I will give them a piece of my mind when they call to my door during next summers general election.
    Well done to everyone who helped get this legislation passed. I really hope that the conditions improve for our beloved cavaliers (and all other dogs too).
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I Met Minister Gormley at a party last night -- had never met him before so was nice to chat a bit -- and mentioned how so many here had followed this issue, written in support, and also expressed their dismay with some of the other parties on these animal welfare bills. He feels that correspondence really helped turn the tide on these bills, especially with Labour, who got a major backlash from a lot of people about opposing the stag hunt bill.

I said many of us really appreciated that the Greens stuck with their promise to bring in these bills as year after year in the past animal welfare was promised then ignored, and even in this vote seen as a "vanity issue" (as one politician said). That is when I got really incensed -- good animal welfare is the sign of a civilised society, not a peripheral issue. There are direct proven associations between how people treat animals and how they treat humans -- animal abuse tends to form the background initially of child abuse, murder, and other crimes. If you don't take a legislative stance on such abuses, and support a societal view that abuse and cruelty towards animals is wrong, then you lose one of the critical ways of shaping a better society more generally.

Again, if you appreciate that this legislation has gone through, please let the minister know. Contact details earlier in the thread or here.

Incidentally Fine Gael has vowed to REVERSE the stag hunt legislation -- which ONLY applies to a single national hunt that raises deer domestically, saws off the stag's horns, then drives it in a small cart and releases it to be pursued, defenseless, by hounds. This hunt has been filmed, with the hounds attacking the exhausted stag (which the hunt and its lobby claimed *never happens*), then hounds being beaten and kicked away by huntsmen (who wanted to be exempt from this dog welfare bill on the grounds that they care so well for their dogs!!) -- you can see some this film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4V9l4ChELo). A past poll showed that 75% of the people in the county involved opposed this carted stag hunt and found it disgraceful so the myth that rural ireland and significant numbers of voters ever supported it is baseless. Please give any Fine Gael rep you come across your opinions on their stance on this issue. Really: Fine Gael have an APPALLING stance on basic animal welfare issues. I'd never have thought this party would row in against animal welfare and they have lots my vote, ever, for this agreed party stance. If you are in Ireland, you might (politely but firmly) write, email or ring party leader Enda Kenny. All contact details are on the righthand column here.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com