• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy farm legislation passes- hooray, a great day for cavaliers!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
At long last, and after several years of work (many here helped by making submissions and sending emails and letters fromIreland and abroad) the anti puppy farming legislation was FINALLY passed in the Irish parliament today:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0708/dogbreeding.html

Thanks to the Green Party and Minister John Gormley who finally brought into law a proposal begun about 7 years ago in Ireland under the previous government. Despite an attempt to label this a Green agenda issue only by some other parties, it was actually a cross party issue but took the Greens to make happen the promises of other parties from a disgracefully long time ago. This legislation was promised by Fianna Fáil Minister Dick Roche in *2006*!!!!

Many of us are celebrating today as finally, the police and dog wardens have legislation with real teeth to close down puppy farms and raise standards at the establishemnts of those who do breed.

Cavaliers are one of the most exploited breeds in Ireland. This is a GREAT day for dogs like Rosie, a recent Irish Cavalier Rescue dog from a puppy farm.

Puppy Farm Legislation Passes -Horray,a Great Day For Cavaliers

At long last, and after several years of work (many here helped by making submissions and sending emails and letters fromIreland and abroad) the anti puppy farming legislation was FINALLY passed in the Irish parliament today:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0708/dogbreeding.html

Thanks to the Green Party and Minister John Gormley who finally brought into law a proposal begun about 7 years ago in Ireland under the previous government. Despite an attempt to label this a Green agenda issue only by some other parties, it was actually a cross party issue but took the Greens to make happen the promises of other parties from a disgracefully long time ago. This legislation was promised by Minister Dick Roche in *2006*!!!!

Many of us aRe celebrating today as finally, the police and dog wardens have legislation with real teeth to close down puppy farms and raise standards at the establishemnts of those who do breed.

Cavaliers are one of the most exploited breeds in Ireland. This is a GREAT day for dogs like Rosie, a recent Irish Cavalier Rescue dog from a puppy farm.

Hopefully the same will soon happen on this side of the Irish Sea.

Well done to all of you who were involved in getting this Legislation Passed.

Bet.

Woo hoo!!! Great news. Pippa is also a product of a puppy. I will never know what her first two years of her life were like.

It really is a great day for all dogs (apart from the greyhounds!) but yes in particular a great day for Cavaliers...heres to an end of the thousands of dogs would have suffered if this bill hadn't been passed...big SHAME ON YOU to Sinn Fein & Fine Gael...you never did get my vote, but I definitely won't be supporting you EVER!!

Bonnie & Rosie are the lucky ones as is Pippa, I am sure there are a few more out there, god help the ones who didn't get out...think you maybe inundated with ex breeding dogs soon Karlin....all hands to the deck I think!

But it is a great day...well done to you Karlin for highlighting it all those years back, and a big thank you to everyone who bombarded their TDs to get them to vote correctly...I know I for one am humbled by your passion :thnku:

Fine Gael also have vowed to reverse the hunt legislation which just banned the cruel carted stag hunt done by only one solitary hunt club in Ireland. I intend to give them a piece of my mind every time I meet them on the doorstep and they have lost any vote of mine as well. Sinn Fein -- just pathetic as well.

I know from political contacts that the Greens bravely held very firm on both these bills and the amendments were minor. The greyhound issue should not matter -- critics were right that there would have been two sets of legislation dealing with greys and arguably it makes sense for it to be one place only. As there is already separate greyhound welfare legislation in existence it probably makes more sense for that to amended. My understanding is there's no intention to weaken any application to greyhounds.

For those who made their voices heard by contacting TDs etc -- this was really important and I am sure helped keep the bill on track.

This was a looooong, loooong journey to get this through, and hopefully this will change Ireland's status of being Europe's puppy farm capital.

Hi

What superb news from Ireland and it looks as though The Welsh Assembly are shortly going to act so lets all hope things start to move here in the UK ,but personally I think the tide is finally turning ,well done to all our people involved in the fight for the improvement of animal welfare .:):)

ArewenearlythereyetforCT.jpg

:*nana:Yesterday was a great day for Cavaliers indeed! :*nana:

Our Jack was a product of a puppy farm, and I really hope that these terrible places finally get what they deserve.....

Such great news. I waited anxiously yesterday to hear if this legislation had passed given the controversy earlier last week about the stag hunting bill. Shame on those political parties who did not support this. I will give them a piece of my mind when they call to my door during next summers general election.
Well done to everyone who helped get this legislation passed. I really hope that the conditions improve for our beloved cavaliers (and all other dogs too).

I Met Minister Gormley at a party last night -- had never met him before so was nice to chat a bit -- and mentioned how so many here had followed this issue, written in support, and also expressed their dismay with some of the other parties on these animal welfare bills. He feels that correspondence really helped turn the tide on these bills, especially with Labour, who got a major backlash from a lot of people about opposing the stag hunt bill.

I said many of us really appreciated that the Greens stuck with their promise to bring in these bills as year after year in the past animal welfare was promised then ignored, and even in this vote seen as a "vanity issue" (as one politician said). That is when I got really incensed -- good animal welfare is the sign of a civilised society, not a peripheral issue. There are direct proven associations between how people treat animals and how they treat humans -- animal abuse tends to form the background initially of child abuse, murder, and other crimes. If you don't take a legislative stance on such abuses, and support a societal view that abuse and cruelty towards animals is wrong, then you lose one of the critical ways of shaping a better society more generally.

Again, if you appreciate that this legislation has gone through, please let the minister know. Contact details earlier in the thread or here.

Incidentally Fine Gael has vowed to REVERSE the stag hunt legislation -- which ONLY applies to a single national hunt that raises deer domestically, saws off the stag's horns, then drives it in a small cart and releases it to be pursued, defenseless, by hounds. This hunt has been filmed, with the hounds attacking the exhausted stag (which the hunt and its lobby claimed *never happens*), then hounds being beaten and kicked away by huntsmen (who wanted to be exempt from this dog welfare bill on the grounds that they care so well for their dogs!!:mad:) -- you can see some this film here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4V9l4ChELo). A past poll showed that 75% of the people in the county involved opposed this carted stag hunt and found it disgraceful so the myth that rural ireland and significant numbers of voters ever supported it is baseless. Please give any Fine Gael rep you come across your opinions on their stance on this issue. Really: Fine Gael have an APPALLING stance on basic animal welfare issues. I'd never have thought this party would row in against animal welfare and they have lots my vote, ever, for this agreed party stance. If you are in Ireland, you might (politely but firmly) write, email or ring party leader Enda Kenny. All contact details are on the righthand column here.

Back