• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The cavalier show scene

Bet

I had put put this Post on another Thread ,but I feel so strongly about it ,I have started this new Thread.

I was shocked to read about what had happened at the East of England Championship Show yesterday , this is from another Cavalier Forum ,the exact words are.

The Heat at the East of England Show yesterday was Unbearable.

The Post said that He or She was Disgusted to see so many Cavalier Exibitors Standing around the Ring with their Cavaliers in CAGES with the SUN beating down Relentlessly when there was Benching inside Buildings which were very cool . A further Comment was that those Folk do not Deserve to Own Dogs ,let alone Show them.

There were a Number of Warnings ,yet those Folk still Stood there while their Cavaliers slowly Cooked inside their Cages.

This Post finished by saying

SHAME ON YOU!!!

Now to my thoughts about this Shameful Treatment of those Cavaliers.

I wonder if the Cavaliers did not have a Heart Problem yesterday ,will they now have one to-day as a Result of this Shameful Treatment that they had to Endure from those Irresponsible Cavalier Glory Seekers having no thought for their Cavaliers ,only for themselves wanting to win a Piece of Card Board

We now know who can call them-selves True Lovers of Cavaliers , it is us who would never have Subjected our Cherished Cavaliers to have caused them any Suffering in that Heat.

It is not only those Cavaliers who were stuck in Cages out-side in the Heat , but also the Cavaliers who were being Shown who would be Standing around as well Suffering from the Heat .

What are those Cavalier Owners Priorities ,to consider the Welfare of their Cavaliers, or for their own Egos ,to win Pieces of Card-Board at Shows.

Has the time now come for the Well -Being of Cavaliers , and other Dogs at Shows,if the Temperature reaches a certain level out-side, then they have to be Shown in an Air Conditioned Building.

If this can't be done then the Show has to be Cancelled.

I do hope the RSPCA will some-thing about what happened yesterday.

Bet.

Last week we went to the Robin Hood show in Southend where they have plants and food for sale plus dog agility, in that heat! :eek: I wasn't sure I should have taken Poppy (out of the question taking Dylan on a hot day) just to walk around but I knew we were not going for long and there was a breeze that day and plenty of shade.

Last edited:
Molly and Dougall are supposed to be performing some basic obedience stuff at
a fun show next Sunday. I have agreed to go on the condition the weather is not hot and they are feeling ok!

Yesterday was so hot, dogs should not have been outdoors at all! Shame on people who subjected these poor dogs to this hot weather or maybe these people are just plain stupid!

When it comes to exhibiting in extreme weather,it's always a difficult decision to travel,whether it's winter snow and treacherous roads or searing summer heat.Happily the vast majority of shows in the British Isles pass off in moderate condtions.
I can appreciate the anger felt by the exhibitor who raised the issue about the dogs who were crated by the ringside,especially if the organisers provided suitable cool shelter for the dogs.
It's perfectly valid to raise and debate the issue,but if a dog was being subjected to a significant risk of injury or death caused by high temperatures,commonsense should dictate that you'd diplomatically approach the people in charge of the dogs and either offer to help move them or suggest that they be moved to a cooler location.
Nipping a problem in the bud is always preferable to allowing an issue to escalate.
If I were a puppyboiler I'd prefer to have this pointed out to me on the spot and get over it ...rather than discover I was a puppyboiler several days later,having read it on a forum?
Sins

Ok, Just to put people's minds at rest......
The original poster has clarified that he did not say that there were dogs in distress.
Many others who were there have verified that no cavalier was ill treated or had to endure suffering from heat stress.
Sins

Ok, Just to put people's minds at rest......
The original poster has clarified that he did not say that there were dogs in distress.
Many others who were there have verified that no cavalier was ill treated or had to endure suffering from heat stress.
Sins

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

What has been reported about the East of England Championship Show is the UGLY SIDE of Cavalier Showing.

Having Cavaliers subjected to be in Cages or standing around in about 90 degrees waiting to be Shown,but as has been said , those Cavaliers did'nt show any signs of Distress.

All I can say ,and Pigs Might Fly.!!!

Any body in their right minds would know for Cavaliers to out in Heat like this, would not be beneficial to Them.

I am talking from experience, we were at a Show at Kelso in Scotland, where it was warm ,and the Wet Weather Tent was used to take the Stress from the Cavaliers.

I will say again , any-body who has Love for their Cavaliers , and for sure it does not seem to be many Cavalier Owners who attend Shows in such Hot Conditions as Saturday,have any thought for their Cavaliers.

I am not getting into a Slanging Personal Match about this, I have always felt strongly about Cavaliers being Shown in very Hot Weather , so this is nothing new for me to be expressing my Disgust about the Cavalier Owners going to Shows in extreme Hot Weather.

The Cavaliers had no Choice , but the Cavalier Owners who are on Ego Trips, for once could have stayed at Home.

There was plenty of warnings being given about how Hot it had to be.

There should never have been any Cavaliers taken to the East of England Show on Saturday.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

What has been reported about the East of England Championship Show is the UGLY SIDE of Cavalier Showing.

Having Cavaliers subjected to be in Cages or standing around in about 90 degrees waiting to be Shown,but as has been said , those Cavaliers did'nt show any signs of Distress.

All I can say ,and Pigs Might Fly.!!!

Any body in their right minds would know for Cavaliers to out in Heat like this, would not be beneficial to Them.

I am talking from experience, we were at a Show at Kelso in Scotland, where it was warm ,and the Wet Weather Tent was used to take the Stress from the Cavaliers.

I will say again , any-body who has Love for their Cavaliers , and for sure it does not seem to be many Cavalier Owners who attend Shows in such Hot Conditions as Saturday,have any thought for their Cavaliers.

I am not getting into a Slanging Personal Match about this, I have always felt strongly about Cavaliers being Shown in very Hot Weather , so this is nothing new for me to be expressing my Disgust about the Cavalier Owners going to Shows in extreme Hot Weather.

The Cavaliers had no Choice , but the Cavalier Owners who are on Ego Trips, for once could have stayed at Home.

There was plenty of warnings being given about how Hot it had to be.

There should never have been any Cavaliers taken to the East of England Show on Saturday.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

As a Thought about the Distressing Happenings at the East of England Championship Show on Saturday ,when the Heat was around 90 Degrees and Cavaliers were being kept in Cages,is the simplest answer ,at any out-side Show ,when there is such a High Temperature ,a Member of the Show Committee goes to the Cavalier Ring, and if there are any Cavaliers in Cages, then the Cavalier Owners are Told to get the Cavaliers into the Cooler Conditions provided by the Show Committee.

Hope-fully though ,those Cavalier Owners who profess to Love their Cavaliers, and are concerned about their Cavaliers Wefare, just won't Subject their Cavaliers to Temperatures of 90 degrees ,how-ever much those Cavalier Owners want to Win their Piece of Card Board.

Bet

We went to a Rally Obedience Competition yesterday. We had to travel for about 2 ½ hours and when we left in the morning it was cloudy and cool. I did look at the weather online for the place we were going to and it said that it would stay cloudy and breezy all day. I must say if I would have known that it would get so hot I would not have gone. I am glad I left Ebony at my friend’s because of her heart murmur. I must say everybody at the trial was well prepared. A lot of dogs were wearing a cool coat and the dogs only came out of the shade for a few minutes when competing. The competitors bought their own shade in form of gazebos, tents, umbrellas and so on. I didn’t see any dog that was over heating. We gave Rosie & Harley a shower there and they loved it. Mind you our dogs didn’t have to look pretty.

Before accusing show people generally of being irresponsible, I would want to know how many Cavaliers entered were actually absent - in other words, how many responsible owners decided not to travel with their dogs (which means quite a financial loss with Ch show entries around £23 a class). This should be noted on the judge's report for each class, online and in the dog press - it will be interesting to see whether the absentee rate was higher than usual. It's not just a matter of keeping dogs cool at the show; air conditioning helps in a car while you're travelling, but what if there's an accident and you are stuck in slow-moving or immobile traffic for several hours? I know some show people who are simply not travelling any distance with their dogs.

I've seen plenty of pet owners in the last few weeks dragging their poor dogs around town in the middle of the day, and I doubt if many of them think to carry water with them. Yesterday was a bit cooler than Saturday in the Midlands, so Oliver, Aled and I joined some others on the Pets as Therapy stand at the Dogs Trust Open Day - one of our best events for interesting new, much-needed volunteers; we worked very hard to keep our dogs comfortable, keeping them under the gazebo or in shade, giving them plenty of water, rotating which ones were 'on duty' at the front of the stand, and doing very little walking with them, and they all seemed to manage OK. But agility in that heat?!! Enough to give any breed a heart problem!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am surprised there wasn't some sort of covered area outside provided, or that anyone deciding to remain outside with dogs out in cages -- especially a short-nosed breed that can have problems breathing in high heat, and where heat is recognised to aggravate SM and MVD in the breed -- wouldn't have shade coverings for the crates, crate fans, etc.

I think only a vet would have been able to determine whether dogs were distressed -- having seen dogs play in the sun and end up with heat stroke -- as like kids they are not particularly able to make good decisions for themselves and of course, could make none at all if they were confined to a crate. (Are there no vet inspectors present at large dog shows?) If announcements were repeatedly made to please bring dogs inside to more appropriate and comfortable surroundings, then that suggests organisers did indeed have concerns about the welfare of dogs left in direct sun (which would be common sense for any dog owner) and indicates there were some people simply ignoring a pretty obvious welfare precaution. You;d hardly have left young children sitting in full sunlight wearing the equivalent of heavy winter coats.

But why did no one actually force people to move to a safer area for the dogs? Tannoy announcements were clearly ignored. Surely show monitors could have gone up and required people not do something as stupid as leave their dogs to roast in cages in direct sun? :sl*p:

I would completely agree Kate.
Of course there's an increased risk to dogs when the temperatures are so high,but what matters is how you manage the risk.
Any photos that I've seen clearly show dogs in crates covered against direct sunlight and/or under parasols.Even the ring appears to have been under a covered pavilion.
No photos proving anything to the contrary have emerged into the public domain,so we must bear in mind that in the absence of conclusive proof,noone can say for certainty that any animal's welfare was compromised.
Unless of course they were there and saw it first hand....
I was at that time watching rivers of driving rain sweep across my tarmac...:confused:
Sins

Before accusing show people generally of being irresponsible, I would want to know how many Cavaliers entered were actually absent - in other words, how many responsible owners decided not to travel with their dogs (which means quite a financial loss with Ch show entries around £23 a class). This should be noted on the judge's report for each class, online and in the dog press - it will be interesting to see whether the absentee rate was higher than usual. It's not just a matter of keeping dogs cool at the show; air conditioning helps in a car while you're travelling, but what if there's an accident and you are stuck in slow-moving or immobile traffic for several hours? I know some show people who are simply not travelling any distance with their dogs.

I've seen plenty of pet owners in the last few weeks dragging their poor dogs around town in the middle of the day, and I doubt if many of them think to carry water with them. Yesterday was a bit cooler than Saturday in the Midlands, so Oliver, Aled and I joined some others on the Pets as Therapy stand at the Dogs Trust Open Day - one of our best events for interesting new, much-needed volunteers; we worked very hard to keep our dogs comfortable, keeping them under the gazebo or in shade, giving them plenty of water, rotating which ones were 'on duty' at the front of the stand, and doing very little walking with them, and they all seemed to manage OK. But agility in that heat?!! Enough to give any breed a heart problem!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

The Cavalier Show Scene

When we went to Shows ,it's maybe different now-days, we had to send our Entrance Fee before the Show took place.

In the 30 or so years that we had our Pet Cavaliers, when it was very warm , and we do have it warm some-times in Scotland,it was a case of them doing their Toilet and then back into the House.

We never would subject them to 90 degrees .

I feel that there has been mention about being a Responsible Cavalier or Breeder, well I for sure know now who comes into this catogary, not the Cavalier Owners or Breeders who put their Cavaliers in Cages, in the direct Sun of 90 degrees

Bet

i think show people and dogs-sports peaople are a lot alike. some of them, at least.
if you see your dog mainly as a tool to obtain results, acceptance, and so on, you'll subject him to things like this.

we were supposed to be at a competition 2 weeks ago. it was very hot the day before before the weather forecast said 98degrees fahrenheit. so i cancelled. there was quite some grumbling about this!! from other dog-people!

i found that strange.

i think show people and dogs-sports peaople are a lot alike. some of them, at least.
if you see your dog mainly as a tool to obtain results, acceptance, and so on, you'll subject him to things like this.

we were supposed to be at a competition 2 weeks ago. it was very hot the day before before the weather forecast said 98degrees fahrenheit. so i cancelled. there was quite some grumbling about this!! from other dog-people!

i found that strange.

The Cavalier SHOW SCENE.

Been onto the Kennel Club about the Heat on Saturday and Cavaliers being stuck in Cages in the Blistering Heat.

I don't think ,if the Heat is ever as Hot as it was on Saturday at the East of England, this will ever be allowed to happen again for Cavaliers.

Bet

The Cavalier Show Scene

The Cavalier SHOW SCENE.

Been onto the Kennel Club about the Heat on Saturday and Cavaliers being stuck in Cages in the Blistering Heat.

I don't think ,if the Heat is ever as Hot as it was on Saturday at the East of England, this will ever be allowed to happen again for Cavaliers.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

A warning has just appeared on the UK CKCS CLUB Web Site, from the Kennel Club,I think it is Relevant as to what happened at the East Of England Championship Show on Saturday ,when the Temperature was in the 90's, and some Cavaliers were stuck in Cages in the Blistering Heat.

I know that the Kennel Club made mention about the Dangers of Dogs in Cars in Hot Weather, but they also mentioned about about Competors or Exhibitors not co-operating with Specific Requests made by the Show Orginizers.

I take this could apply to the Cavalier Exhibitors who were asked by the Show Committee because of the Extreme Heat, to put their Dogs in the Cool Building provided by the Show Committee ,.

This seemed to have been ignored by those Cavalier Exhibitors who had their Cavaliers in Cages ,in the 90 Degree Temperature.

The Kennel Club now say ,that under the Kennel Club Rule A42,if a warning is ignored , in the Hot Weather ,then the Exhibitor can be fined £300.

The Kennel Club finishes their Article by saying.

That it is a Pity that it is Necessary to Issue such a Threat ,but the Kennel Club will maintain ZERO TOLERANCE over such Breaches of the Regulations ,and Action will be taken as necesssary .

Those who choose to Ignore this have been Warned.

For the UK CKCS CLUB to have put this on their Web Site, must be taking this matter seriously as well.

Hope-fully no Cavalier will ever again have to be stuck in a Cage in Hot Weather.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

A warning has just appeared on the UK CKCS CLUB Web Site, from the Kennel Club,I think it is Relevant as to what happened at the East Of England Championship Show on Saturday ,when the Temperature was in the 90's, and some Cavaliers were stuck in Cages in the Blistering Heat.

I know that the Kennel Club made mention about the Dangers of Dogs in Cars in Hot Weather, but they also mentioned about about Competors or Exhibitors not co-operating with Specific Requests made by the Show Orginizers.

I take this could apply to the Cavalier Exhibitors who were asked by the Show Committee because of the Extreme Heat, to put their Dogs in the Cool Building provided by the Show Committee ,.

This seemed to have been ignored by those Cavalier Exhibitors who had their Cavaliers in Cages ,in the 90 Degree Temperature.

The Kennel Club now say ,that under the Kennel Club Rule A42,if a warning is ignored , in the Hot Weather ,then the Exhibitor can be fined £300.

The Kennel Club finishes their Article by saying.

That it is a Pity that it is Necessary to Issue such a Threat ,but the Kennel Club will maintain ZERO TOLERANCE over such Breaches of the Regulations ,and Action will be taken as necesssary .

Those who choose to Ignore this have been Warned.

For the UK CKCS CLUB to have put this on their Web Site, must be taking this matter seriously as well.

Hope-fully no Cavalier will ever again have to be stuck in a Cage in Hot Weather.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

I notice that some remarks have been made by Cavalier Owners who attend Cavalier Shows in Extreme Heat, and say that they have Never seen a Cavalier Stressed by by Temperatures of around 90 Degrees.

My comment to that ,is Well those Cavalier Show Goers would say that Would'nt They. !!!!

Bet

The Cavalier Show Scene

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

I notice that some remarks have been made by Cavalier Owners who attend Cavalier Shows in Extreme Heat, and say that they have Never seen a Cavalier Stressed by by Temperatures of around 90 Degrees.

My comment to that ,is Well those Cavalier Show Goers would say that Would'nt They. !!!!

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

If I have made Cavalier Owners aware of the Dangers of Extreme Heat for their Cavaliers ,and my Thoughts can help the Suffering for Cavaliers in Hot Temperature Conditions, then I am Happy.

Because I know what our Cavaliers went through when there were High Temperatures especially if they had a Heart Problem,it was a Worrying Time.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

If I have made Cavalier Owners aware of the Dangers of Extreme Heat for their Cavaliers ,and my Thoughts can help the Suffering for Cavaliers in Hot Temperature Conditions, then I am Happy.

Because I know what our Cavaliers went through when there were High Temperatures especially if they had a Heart Problem,it was a Worrying Time.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I think you will all know how strongly I have felt about the Cavaliers being stuck in Cages in the 90 Degree Temperatures at the East Of England Show last week.

In this week's DOG WORLD ,the treament of Dogs at Shows in Hot Weather Conditions are the Headlines.

The Focus is on Folk who leave their Dogs in Cars.

As I mentioned in a Previous Post about contacting the Kennel Club saying that it had appeared on a Cavalier Forum that there were Cavaliers who were stuck in Cages in the Heat at the East of England Show last Saturday, I was told that they were aware about what had been Posted on that Forum ,and it had been noted, so I guess it won't just be Dogs in Cars who will be subjected to Scrutiny but hope-fully the Cavaliers if any are ever again left in Cages in Hot Weather .

Surely for Cavaliers ,when they are well known to be Susceptible to MVD , they should NOT be being Subjected to be being taken to Shows in Hot Weather.

Glad the Kennel Club is on my Side about this.

Bet

The CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I think you will all know how strongly I have felt about the Cavaliers being stuck in Cages in the 90 Degree Temperatures at the East Of England Show last week.

In this week's DOG WORLD ,the treament of Dogs at Shows in Hot Weather Conditions are the Headlines.

The Focus is on Folk who leave their Dogs in Cars.

As I mentioned in a Previous Post about contacting the Kennel Club saying that it had appeared on a Cavalier Forum that there were Cavaliers who were stuck in Cages in the Heat at the East of England Show last Saturday, I was told that they were aware about what had been Posted on that Forum ,and it had been noted, so I guess it won't just be Dogs in Cars who will be subjected to Scrutiny but hope-fully the Cavaliers if any are ever again left in Cages in Hot Weather .

Surely for Cavaliers ,when they are well known to be Susceptible to MVD , they should NOT be being Subjected to be being taken to Shows in Hot Weather.

Glad the Kennel Club is on my Side about this.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

This subject is now being discussed on the DOG WORLD Forum, where mention was made that Cavalier Exhibitors spend a Fortune on Cool Mats ,Cool Coats, Fans ,Heat Deflecting Cage Covers for their Cavaliers that they take to the Shows,.

So they must be concerned that the Hot Wearher could be having Risks for their Cavaliers.

If that is the case why do they take their Cavaliers to Shows in Hot Weather,

Why not just leave them at Home. !!!

Bet.

Back