Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The cavalier show scene

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The cavalier show scene

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    I've followed this saga from start to finish.
    The substantive issue is not whether or not cavaliers were stuck in cages or kept in cages at that (or any other show).The substantive issue was whether or not any cavaliers were cooked in their cages,or medically compromised in any way.
    There are no reports of any animal requiring veterinary assistance and the person who initiated the debate on another forum even stated that no dogs were in distress.

Yes Bet,obviously people were well aware of the risks to dogs in hot weather and have taken the necessary steps to look after their dog's comfort.
    I can appreciate the fact that some people have reservations as to whether it's right or not to show dogs at all,but there's a world of difference between abandoning a dog in a hot car and taking your dog to a show in an air conditioned car and keeping it in under direct supervision a crate with a cool mat or heat reflective crate cover.
    Also there is no ethical issue in having a dog in a crate,either at a show or at home as long as it used appropriately to keep a dog safe,comfortable and secure.
    Sins

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

The Only way to know if a Cavalier or a Dog was Over Heating at the East of England Championship Show, is to have taken their Temperature , so for the Cavaliers who were Reported to have been shut in Cages at that Show, how can it be said that they were not Over Heating if their Temperature had not been taken.

Was this done. If not ,it can't be said that those Cavaliers were not Over Heating.

Also it has just been said on another Cavalier Forum by a Researcher into the Cavalier SM Problem, and has allowed her Statement to be Quoted

That she is Happy to say that we consider Cavaliers are Bracycephalic .

They have the Classic Problems of a Brachycephalic ,although not as extreme as a Pug

If Published Papers are looked at ,they all talk about the Cavaliers as being Brachycephalic.

So ,when there is Hot Weather ,remember and take Particular of Cavaliers , since they are at risk because they are considered to be a Brachycephalic by the Experts.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

The Only way to know if a Cavalier or a Dog was Over Heating at the East of England Championship Show, is to have taken their Temperature , so for the Cavaliers who were Reported to have been shut in Cages at that Show, how can it be said that they were not Over Heating if their Temperature had not been taken.

Was this done. If not ,it can't be said that those Cavaliers were not Over Heating.

Also it has just been said on another Cavalier Forum by a Researcher into the Cavalier SM Problem, and has allowed her Statement to be Quoted

That she is Happy to say that we consider Cavaliers are Bracycephalic .

They have the Classic Problems of a Brachycephalic ,although not as extreme as a Pug

If Published Papers are looked at ,they all talk about the Cavaliers as being Brachycephalic.

So ,when there is Hot Weather ,remember and take Particular of Cavaliers , since they are at risk because they are considered to be a Brachycephalic by the Experts.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

SINS ,

Just read your Post and have to make this Comment,if you go to Show with a Cavalier and have to have the Cavalier
    in a Cage with Cool Mat or a Heat Reflector Crate Cover, then the Cavalier Owner must be having concerns about the Hot Weather , so why is it a Must for the Owner to be Attending that particular Show, why not stay at Home with their Cavaliers.

What is so urgent that they have to attend Shows with their Cavaliers ,when the Cavalier Breed is said by the Experts to be considered a Brachycephalic Breed ,and it is known that this Type of Breed can be at risk in Hot Weather.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

SINS ,

Just read your Post and have to make this Comment,if you go to Show with a Cavalier and have to have the Cavalier
    in a Cage with Cool Mat or a Heat Reflector Crate Cover, then the Cavalier Owner must be having concerns about the Hot Weather , so why is it a Must for the Owner to be Attending that particular Show, why not stay at Home with their Cavaliers.

What is so urgent that they have to attend Shows with their Cavaliers ,when the Cavalier Breed is said by the Experts to be considered a Brachycephalic Breed ,and it is known that this Type of Breed can be at risk in Hot Weather.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

I had not realized that when I Posted about Cavaliers being a Brachycephalic Breed ,some Cavalier Breeders would be having the Vapours!!

I did not know it was such Touchy Subject for some of them .

I was trying to get across to Owners of Cavaliers how their Cavaliers could be affected by the Hot Weather because they are this Type of Breed.

As was said on another Cavalier Forum, by a Cavalier Researcher into SM, that there is some Contention about Cavaliers being a Brachycephalic Breed ,but to look at Published Papers, they all talk about CKCS being Brachycephalic.

I have checked again as to what was actually said.These are the exact words.

I have just been looking at Published Papers on the Internet , at least 30, and that is what is agreed, .

Those Cavalier Breeders who seem to think that this word should not be being used about our Cavaliers, maybe should have another think, and realize that Cavalier Owners will now know to give special attention to Cavaliers in Hot Weather.

That not all Breeds of Dogs are Bracycephalic , but the Experts talk about Cavaliers being this Type of Breed.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE.

I had not realized that when I Posted about Cavaliers being a Brachycephalic Breed ,some Cavalier Breeders would be having the Vapours!!

I did not know it was such Touchy Subject for some of them .

I was trying to get across to Owners of Cavaliers how their Cavaliers could be affected by the Hot Weather because they are this Type of Breed.

As was said on another Cavalier Forum, by a Cavalier Researcher into SM, that there is some Contention about Cavaliers being a Brachycephalic Breed ,but to look at Published Papers, they all talk about CKCS being Brachycephalic.

I have checked again as to what was actually said.These are the exact words.

I have just been looking at Published Papers on the Internet , at least 30, and that is what is agreed, .

Those Cavalier Breeders who seem to think that this word should not be being used about our Cavaliers, maybe should have another think, and realize that Cavalier Owners will now know to give special attention to Cavaliers in Hot Weather.

That not all Breeds of Dogs are Bracycephalic , but the Experts talk about Cavaliers being this Type of Breed.

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I am getting a Wee bit Fed up being called a Liar by some in the Cavalier World because I have mentioned that the Cavalier Breed is a Brachcepalic Breed,

Hopefully this comment which was made at a Conference at the Royal Veterinary College ,November 11 2006 ,attended by Neurologists and Researchers discussing SM in Cavaliers, where it was Stated that the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is a Brachcepalic Breed of Dog.

The only reason why I have brought this to the attention of this List ,is because this Type of Dog can have difficulties in Hot Weather when their Breathing can be Impared

This all started because at the East of England Championship Show a couple of week's ago ,there were Cavaliers stuck in Cages at the Ring Side in the Extreme Heat and it was said on another Cavalier List ,he was annoyed at seeing what was happening that he even took Photos about it.

Now there is a deal of talk about those Cavaliers not being in Distress ,all I can ask was the Temperatures of those Cavaliers taken to find out if they were Over-Heating,if this was not done ,then no-body can say whether they were Distressed or not.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I read this post and I don't know why I could not say the term BRACHYCEPHALIC BREED. I completely agree with it because I read about it on Cavalier Health and also I would like to point out that there are restrictions about Cavaliers along with Pugs because they are BRACHYCEPHALIC and can become overheated. If you want to fly during the summer months, this is one of the breeds that is restricted from flying underneath. I don't know who would do that but if they were not considered part of this category then why are they grouped with the others? I don't know what to make of the response of my post. I am extremely careful about the amount of time I allow Ella to be outside. I actually have a cool vest http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...srccode=NXCDC6 for Ella to wear. I will submit a post under the shop-o-holic section. I have explained the dangers and even wrote a newsletter to a group in Charlotte about dogs over heating. I will put what I wrote on a blog post.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I read this post and I don't know why I could not say the term BRACHYCEPHALIC BREED. I completely agree with it because I read about it on Cavalier Health and also I would like to point out that there are restrictions about Cavaliers along with Pugs because they are BRACHYCEPHALIC and can become overheated. If you want to fly during the summer months, this is one of the breeds that is restricted from flying underneath. I don't know who would do that but if they were not considered part of this category then why are they grouped with the others? I don't know what to make of the response of my post. I am extremely careful about the amount of time I allow Ella to be outside. I actually have a cool vest http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/it...srccode=NXCDC6 for Ella to wear. I will submit a post under the shop-o-holic section. I have explained the dangers and even wrote a newsletter to a group in Charlotte about dogs over heating. I will put what I wrote on a blog post.
    THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

If I could be allowed to return to the subject of Heat Stress to Dogs ,Steve Dean ,who writes a Veterinary Column every week in the Dog World,has this week written about the effects of Heat Stress to Dogs.

Because Cavaliers are a BRACYCEPHALIC Breed of DOG, this is how Heat Stress will affect them.

He explains the Seriousness of the Risk to Dogs from Heat Stress.

Dogs maintain a Body Temperature at or close to 101degrees Farnheit, this optimum temperature may differ between Individual Dogs by +/-One per Cent ,but outside this Range Abnormality can be assumed.

The most serious condition for a Dog is a Hot Humid Environment,Humidity plays a Disatrous Role.

When a Dogs Temperature rises above 104 Degrees, vigorous Panting will be evident,their Veins will Dilate reducing Blood Pressure, and Lungs will be starved of Oxygen,then finally the Brain and Heart will fail,and the Dog Dies.

Surely when Cavaliers are at a greater Risk in Hot Humid Days, why put them under more Stress by taking them to Shows.

Just leave them at Home, they don't know about what Winning at Shows means, only their Owners.!

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

If I could be allowed to return to the subject of Heat Stress to Dogs ,Steve Dean ,who writes a Veterinary Column every week in the Dog World,has this week written about the effects of Heat Stress to Dogs.

Because Cavaliers are a BRACYCEPHALIC Breed of DOG, this is how Heat Stress will affect them.

He explains the Seriousness of the Risk to Dogs from Heat Stress.

Dogs maintain a Body Temperature at or close to 101degrees Farnheit, this optimum temperature may differ between Individual Dogs by +/-One per Cent ,but outside this Range Abnormality can be assumed.

The most serious condition for a Dog is a Hot Humid Environment,Humidity plays a Disatrous Role.

When a Dogs Temperature rises above 104 Degrees, vigorous Panting will be evident,their Veins will Dilate reducing Blood Pressure, and Lungs will be starved of Oxygen,then finally the Brain and Heart will fail,and the Dog Dies.

Surely when Cavaliers are at a greater Risk in Hot Humid Days, why put them under more Stress by taking them to Shows.

Just leave them at Home, they don't know about what Winning at Shows means, only their Owners.!

Bet
    The DOG SHOW SCENE

I have just left this Post on this Thread.

I have read an interesting Article about the Biggest Problem regarding the Show Scene and some Dog Breeders .

Here are a few comments made in it .

Genetic Disease continues to inspire a range of negative Human behaviour ,wrapping the subject in a Shroud of Secrecy and Denial

The Intimidation to enforce Silence ,the Fear of speaking out ,and Inabitity to Face Facts .

The Article mentions that these are the biggest Problems that Breeders face in the attempt to control Genetic Disease in Pure-Bred Dogs .

The Breeders who put Winning above all other Goals,their belief is ,it does'nt matter as long the Dog Wins .

Their Dogs must Win ,as must their Dogs' Off-springs,and woe betide any-one who stands in their way as they pursue Greater Breed and Personal Glory

This Ego-driven behaviour affects Genetic Disease Control.

If a Genetic problem is not apparent, they will ignore it .

If another person knows about the problem ,,any means will be used to quieten that Person , such as Bully -Tactics and Rumor Mongering.

For us who have to suffer from these Bullies ,is to refuse to be Bullied ,unfortunately they have their Hangers-On who Harass us.

We just have to remember when this is happening , think about a Heart Broken Kiddie who has just been told that his Beloved ,and I will mention Cavalier here,has to be Put to Sleep because of a Devastating Disease , SM and MVD come to mind.

This Article also mentions the Ostrich Syndrome ,this is where many Breeders will find Excuses and Justifications for not doing Health Screening Tests .

The Fear of Genetic Diseases can lead to Group behaviour ,some-times the Followers of a Big name wish to curry Favour ,Health Survey Results will be suppressed and even Genetic Health Programs Stifled.

Some of us in the Cavalier World are having a Rough time of it at the moment in trying to give our beloved Cavalier Breed the chance of a Healthier,Longer Life,but when we look back at all the nastyness we have to endure at this time in our Lives ,we will know it has all been Worth While.

Bet.

We just have to
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Bet;366048]The DOG SHOW SCENE

I have read an interesting Article about the Biggest Problem regarding the Show Scene and some Dog Breeders .

Genetic Disease continues to inspire a range of negative Human behaviour ,wrapping the subject in a Shroud of Secrecy and Denial

The Intimidation to enforce Silence ,the Fear of speaking out ,and Inabitity to Face Facts .

The Article mentions that these are the biggest Problems that Breeders face in the attempt to control Genetic Disease in Pure-Bred Dogs .

The Breeders who put Winning above all other Goals,their belief is ,it does'nt matter as long the Dog Wins .

Their Dogs must Win ,as must their Dogs' Off-springs,and woe betide any-one who stands in their way as they pursue Greater Breed and Personal Glory

If another person knows about the problem ,,any means will be used to quieten that Person , such as Bully -Tactics and Rumor Mongering.

For us who have to suffer from these Bullies ,is to refuse to be Bullied ,unfortunately they have their Hangers-On who Harass us.

We just have to remember when this is happening , think about a Heart Broken Kiddie who has just been told that his Beloved ,and I will mention Cavalier here,has to be Put to Sleep because of a Devastating Disease , SM and MVD come to mind.

This Article also mentions the Ostrich Syndrome ,this is where many Breeders will find Excuses and Justifications for not doing Health Screening Tests .

The Fear of Genetic Diseases can lead to Group behaviour ,some-times the Followers of a Big name wish to curry Favour ,Health Survey Results will be suppressed and even Genetic Health Programs Stifled.

Some of us in the Cavalier World are having a Rough time of it at the moment in trying to give our beloved Cavalier Breed the chance of a Healthier,Longer Life,but when we look back at all the nastyness we have to endure at this time in our Lives ,we will know it has all been Worth While.

Bet.

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I have just taken the PLUNGE !!!!

Posted my First Blog!

I felt that my Previous Post from the Article I mentioned, had a number of Comments that were so true, that I would put them in my First Blog.

I also included this on my Blog which is important as well.

That at the Moment there seems to be a Good Number of Cavalier Breeders who are with-holding Information about the Health Checks about their Cavalier Breeding Stock from the Researchers .

If this Information is not passed on ,how can the Researchers find the Answers to the SM and MVD Problems.

This could Link in with the Money to be being given to CKCS HEALTH FUND from the BLENHEIM SHOW and AUCTION.

This is Great , but surely it must run in Tandem with All the Cavalier Breeders ,not just a Few, to support the Cavalier Researchers, those Cavalier Breeders who seem at the moment to be Back-Word at coming Forward with Vital Health Information about their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

It's all very well giving Money to the CKCS HEALTH FUND ,but the Health Information about Cavaliers is as equally Important for the Researchers.

Bet.
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Bet;366136]
    The DOG SHOW SCENE

Bet.

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I have just taken the PLUNGE !!!!

Posted my First Blog!

I felt that my Previous Post from the Article I mentioned, had a number of Comments that were so true, that I would put them in my First Blog.

I also included this on my Blog which is important as well.

That at the Moment there seems to be a Good Number of Cavalier Breeders who are with-holding Information about the Health Checks about their Cavalier Breeding Stock from the Researchers .

If this Information is not passed on ,how can the Researchers find the Answers to the SM and MVD Problems.

This could Link in with the Money to be being given to CKCS HEALTH FUND from the BLENHEIM SHOW and AUCTION.

This is Great , but surely it must run in Tandem with All the Cavalier Breeders ,not just a Few, to support the Cavalier Researchers, those Cavalier Breeders who seem at the moment to be Back-Word at coming Forward with Vital Health Information about their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

It's all very well giving Money to the CKCS HEALTH FUND ,but the Health Information about Cavaliers is as equally Important for the Researchers.

Bet.

AS A PS to my Previous Post, I wonder if there has been Specific Detailed Account about what Research Money has been given to, from the CKCS HEALTH FUND.

Is there a Different Section for each Different Research and the Money equally Divided amongst all the Research Projects?

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Bet;366139]

AS A PS to my Previous Post, I wonder if there has been Specific Detailed Account about what Research Money has been given to, from the CKCS HEALTH FUND.

Is there a Different Section for each Different Research and the Money equally Divided amongst all the Research Projects?

Bet

THE CAVALIER SHOW SCENE

I have just come across this Article and thought it was worth Posting .

"In every Breed in this Shallow World of Exhibition ,there is always the "Breed Mafia".

Usually a Group of Elderly Woman (with the occasional male)that is steadfast in it's View ,even when wrong ,they are self Proclaimed Experts in nothing,who Chant ,we are the Breed ,there is nothing any-one can teach us about this Breed

Unfortunately all this does is creat Disharmony,Damages Dogs and Stagnates Gene Pools to such a Degree that Health Crisis are inevitable."

Can I mention the Cavalier Breed here , the Cavaliers are battling Two huge Health Problems at the moment, MVD and SM , this comment was mentioned in the PDE TV Program,that no-body could argue that enough is being done,as the PDE TV Program commented , every one of the Top Stud Dogs had been used Under-Age ,and they all had been used Out-Side the Breeding Guidelines.

I don't know but is this still happening?

What is also distressing to read is, in Posts all that seems to be required for the Show Scene, are Cavaliers with Free Flowing Movement ,not a mention of not Suffering from SM or MVD.

Surely in the Cavalier World ,the time has come to Stop Dimissing the Critics about the Health Problems in the Cavalier Breed and Engage in an Open Debate about the Cavaliers' Health Troubles.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)