• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poppy. SM or wind.

*Pauline*

Way back when I had suspicions about Dylan having SM I thought his screaming once after a meal was an SM pain episode. I also wondered if it was because he ate too fast or because his bowl was on the floor and not raised.

I do think Poppy has CM or CM/SM but it's mild and she doesn't seem in any pain, just irritated with a little face rubbing when she first gets up and the odd scratch sometimes.

This morning the same happen with Poppy after a meal. I know people have been criticized in the past for filming their dogs in pain but I had my laptop on so just clicked for it to film her while this happened. Looks like I'm holding her tight or restraining her but I was just holding her gently.

POPPY.

Awh Pauline, whatever it is/was it is very sad to look at! Poor Poppy hope she is feeling better and doesn't have another episode!! I love the natural instincts in dogs to try comfort each other, the way Dylan jumped up to give her a lick when it first started...

I'm so sorry she seems to be so upset as that can only be very worrying for you. :flwr:

If that degree of yelping is indicating pain, then I would definitely be bringing her to be checked after something like that. To be honest I have never seen or heard of dogs getting extreme (to the point of repeatedly crying out) pain from indigestion -- if it was to do with digestion then I would think it would be a serious problem (like pancreatitis or severe gastroenteritis) to cause yelping and pain.

I'd get her in to have her checked for back/neck sensitivity etc and also discuss gastro issues but think you need to start working through possible causes. I don't think yelping out like that would ever indicate mild symptoms of anything.

Keep in mind many dogs have their worst SM symptoms in the morning -- Leo definitely does until the gabapentin kicks in.

I know Clare Rusbridge considers any kind of crying out to be a severe symptom regardless of whatever else the dog is doing. According to Dr Marino over a third of SM dogs he sees with clinical signs of SM do not scratch, so I don't think a lack of frequent scratching should be considered a sign of potentially mild SM. Many severe dogs do not scratch at all.

For now I'd raise bowls as a matter of course and make an initial appointment with your vet and show them the video. Hopefully you will find she is dealing with something other than SM but I would definitely consider that to be a serious sign of something that is very painful for her.

She seems fine now. Dylan has been cuddling her which he doesn't normally, it's always the other way round, but she's on her own asleep now. I expect/hope for an upset tummy later. I'd like to think that's what it is rather than anything else, we'll see.

She eats grass every day and never throws up. I've had her on 3 foods since I got her. First was what the foster mum gave which I think was RC puppy kibble, then Chappie, same as Dylan, now both are on RC kibble for Cavaliers. Same grass eating on all three.

I was going to go with a friend on one of the scanning days in Cambridge but I may have to go sooner and to the RVC.

In the hope that it is something less serious ,have you checked Poppies anal glands? A brewing abcess can be very painful. Hope Poppy continues to improve .

Pauline, I am so sorry that Poppy seems to be suffering such pain. I had turned the sound up so I could hear it and all my dogs jumped up and started barking, they were very upset. Poppy looks so much like Chaos and the sound of her crying was very similar to her when she has had a very bad episode of SM, I do so hope it is something else but would definitely get her checked as soon as you can. Chaos always used to suffer from terrible indigestion and that you could feel on her tummy when you rubbed it you could feel and hear her insides gurgling away, then she would not eat and would be pacing around, she never cried out in pain like that though. The worst time for her having a scratch is in the mornings before she gets her meds, the rest of the time she hardly does so any more and is now managing the walks without her pram.

Hi Pauline,
It was upsetting to watch your video as I feel it would be so unfair as you went through so much with Dylan. Please, please,please keep us in touch and if you want to chat then you have my number.
I have everything crossed that you wont be going down the SM road but if you do at least Poppy is in the best hands she could be as you cope so well with Dylan.
Please give her a gentle cuddle from me.

I did love the way Dylan was so concerned with her, jumping up to make sure his little sis was ok.

Mel:hug::hug:

So upsetting for you and Poppy. I hope things are not as bad as you suspect. It is worth checking anal glands as they can create a real problem. Dylan was obviously upset too. It shows how much he has bonded with her. Fingers crossed that things improve. :hug::hug:

Thanks everyone. It's good to have a chance to talk it over with you.

It was upsetting to watch your video as I feel it would be so unfair as you went through so much with Dylan.

Thanks Mel. I was fully prepared Poppy could have SM when I took her on. It's actually easier accepting it's a possibility than it was to wait, watch, wonder and worry the way I did with Dylan. I was hoping he'd never get ill whereas with Poppy, I expected it.

So sorry to read about Poppy, I watched the video and do hope Poppy will be fine and hoping it is not SM, Jasper started to bark when he heard the video and even little Ollie seemed distressed. I know it is a great worry with SM and you are dealing with it with Dylan but it is still very hard. I know it was a big decision for us to take on another Cavalier, had never heard of SM when I got Jasper 10 yrs ago, very aware of MVD though, keep us informed and thinking of you and little Poppy and Dylan.:hug:

Meg, the Blenheim bitch I had in the 1990s, was very nervous when I had her. A couple of times, when we went out to a Sunday BBQ with friends, she was too stressed to eat her supper when she came home and woke up in the night screaming (definitely screaming, not a gentle whimper!) - I assumed she was experiencing the stomach cramps that we get when very hungry. I quickly realised what was happening and made sure she ate something in the evening, even if it was just some scrambled egg, and the screaming stopped (she also gradually got more confident) - but yes, even simple gastric problems can produce blood-curdling screams! So worth checking this out with your vet.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back