• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bentley got mugged!!!!!

shell1805

................................ of his hair!!!!! i bit the bullett and took bentley to the groomers, 1st time ever in the whole 2 years we have had him. it was an independant groomers, with a sign outside sayin proffesional show standards. so they asked what i wanted and i said whatever they thought was best as i didnt know what to ask for. they said 'some feathering' etc and i said whatever they ususually do for cavi's..... 3 hours later i went to collect him, they asked me to pay before they got him, fair enough, but i wasn't ready for what they have done. my baby has a buzz cut all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( my jaw just fell open. a beagle has longer fur than him. in certain places he is nearly bald!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im sorry, im just so shocked and didnt know who else to talk to. i know it will grow back, but why would they thibk this is what i wanted!!!!!

xx

to go from this:

015.jpg

006-4.jpg

to this:
049-1.jpg

046-1.jpg

what were they thinking??????????????????

xx

You are experiencing the same thing many (if not most) Cavalier owners experience if they take their dogs to the groomers. I'm so sorry -- I know I'd be very upset! Lots of people have this happen even when they give very, very specific instructions. There have been lots of threads on here about that. So if it makes you feel any better, you are definitely not alone.

What little clipping I feel is necessary with Daisy (bottoms of feet and occasionally around her private parts) I do myself for fear of just what you experienced. I know myself and I definitely would not handle getting a beagle-looking cavalier back! I don't know what would come first -- the tears or the rage, but I would definitely have both! I picked this breed because of their lovely coat and because they did not need clipping, so if a groomer did that to Daisy, I'd lose it.

Again, I'm sorry they did that to Bentley. At least he'll be cooler, I guess.

OK, now I see the pictures in your 2nd post. I can't believe they even shaved his ears!!!!! (He's still very cute, though!)

Last edited:
:( they shaved inside his ears too! i am just gob smacked, i honestly didnt know what to do. the 1st thing i said was 'oh my dear god' and their response..... 'at least he is shiny'! i then just walked out the shop and broke down in my car. he was shivering like he was cold :( he just doesn't look like bentley anymore, i can see he looks cute but i think its cuteness where you feel sorry for him more than anything (i feel awful for saying that, but i cant help it!) x

You poor thing! You are making me want to cry, too! The good thing is that hair grows back, so this isn't permanent! I'm sure it will look less shocking over time, too, as you get used to it. Some people deliberately shave their Cavaliers like that in the summer. I rescued one from our local shelter who was shaved. She looked just like a miniature St. Bernard. Our departmental secretary adopted her and she shows me pictures of her all the time. Her hair has grown back and she is gorgeous now.

And yes he is still cute, and not pitiful cute, but just plain cute! That face and those big eyes are adorable. Don't beat yourself up (now whether you should beat the groomer up is another question... Just kidding!)

Oh poor you.......

Dont panic it will grow back. Leo had a cut like that once even his head...he looked like a US marine with his buzz cut:eek:

I explained I didnt want him cut that short and now they do a really good "trim"

I'm another one who has had your experience once in the past, but it made me realise that, like everything else, you have to do a bit of research and sleuthing around in order to find a good service. I went to someone who had 30 years experience, so assumed it would be OK, but it was not.

Only thing to do is "shop around" and find someone who knows how to use SCISSORS and perhaps those trimmers which allow you to leave some length of hair. So many groomers seem only to know how to use clippers these days.

Try not to worry too much - it will soon regrow and you must put it down to "experience" this time.
CuddlingpuppiesforMargaretC.jpg

Poor Bentley and poor you. It’s always the same story. It is hard to get a decent groomer these days. I think they just use the clippers because it’s quick and easy and not much skill is needed. Using Scissors takes time. I also had enough of groomers that’s why I do mine myself now.

that's shocking!!! poor Bentley!!

I would go back to the shop and ask for your money back!!

I usually have Barney clipped in the summer but the groomer I go to does exactly what I want. Round ears, no claws showing, no skirt but a little feathering on his legs, they check each time if there are any changes!!

This year I've kept his coat on and he's doing fine in the hot spells, just more fuss with his coat getting things like sticky buds out.

You are within your rights to a refund as the goods/service you expected are very lacking!!!!

It will grow back but he'll look a bit strange for a while!! I've never seen a Cav with shaved ears before...

Take care, Teresa...x

Poor Bentley :(
When we got Murphy he was in such a state we had to have him all over clipped(like Bentley is now) - and then his fur grew back wavy and curly and dry, so I keep his body clipped short and have a little skirt underneath, and still have his long furry ears,legs,paws and tail so he still looks like a cavalier but just very short fur on his body.

It is better to know how to groom yourself, I've got some hairdressing scissors that I use on Murphy and my groomer also taught me a few tricks, and Murphy is alot calmer and happier when I am grooming him.

But don't worry, Bentley's fur will grow back!! :) :)

Yup been there :eek: Same thing was done to Remus. He'd even been a couple times before. Good thing it was the middle of a hot summer.

Hair grew back a little curlier I think but didn't take him back to groomer for 2 years.

After searching long and hard & visiting many salons I found one. I took a picture of exactly what I wanted & she does a great job.

I know what the initial shock feels like but Bentley is still a cutey :luv:

Wow, I'd be raging mad if one of my dogs came back shaved...but maybe since you weren't very specific on what you wanted they just took it as you really didn't care how they groomed him??? Just a thought ;) I have never taken mine to the groomer and I don't think I ever would, soley based on all of the horror stories I've read here, with people leaving very specific instructions on "just a trim" and they come back with a Cocker cut or completely shaved. I'd flip out if that beautiful coat were gone! Unless there's a medical reason, of course...it just seems like most groomers don't listen to what their clients want...

At least it will grow back, and if this had to happen it's best that it happens in the summer, I guess...hopefully by the winter his coat will have grown in quite a bit :)

He's still beautiful :luv: but it will grow back.. No wonder they asked you to pay first. I would go back and ask for your money back. You must be covered under trades act. Check with trading standards.
Good groomers are like blue snow :(

I feel gutted for you. It is a real shock I'm sure and I really feel for you :hug: At least they left his tail.

yeah they've left his tail pauline but it looks ridiculous. he's all out proportion now bless him. ive calmed down quite alot today, thank you for all your kind words. 'baldy bentley' is very thankful as he was starting to get a complex :rolleyes: his coat was so beautiful, he had no wave and it was so soft, im so worried its going to come through like wire now :(

well, no point crying over shawn fur. at least my baby is healthy and if anything it shows how hard we have been working with his weight as his looking in good shape even if i do say so myself :cool:

thank you once again for listening to my rant. it wa just such a shock. bentey will never be going back to a groomers, i can do a better job myself!!

xx

I must be lucky, I recently took Ben to the local groomers for the first time and asked for a light trim to his feathering which was trailing on the ground. Her response to my request was "thank goodness someone knows not to scalp a Cavalier". She said most people ask for and expect a short cut (like what Bentley got) which often ruins the coat.
I was very happy with the result which as far as I am aware was done completely with scissors.

Poor Bentley. The good news is that it will grow back. I'm going to hug my groomer. She only does trimming of the feet and minimal trimming of the feathering close to the feet. She is a Certified Master Dog Groomer and knows what she is doing.

Back