Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terrified... Dougal very ill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Terrified... Dougal very ill

Am so upset. I know I haven't posted here in a while, but I had to do something while waiting for vet, and I know you lot will understand how scary this is.

Dougal is after eating a potentially fatal amount of dark cooking chocolate. I feel so guilty and so responsible, even though it's not really anybody's fault. The chocolate was kept in a bag at the back of a press behind lots of other things. Hubby was putting some groceries away in there when our daughter vomited quite suddenly all over me and I called him urgently to give me a hand. We were upstairs for about half an hour cleaning myself and herself up, and in the meantime the deed had been done. We didn't even notice straight away because the bag hadn't even been pulled out... it was behind a bag of flour which had been.

We only realised what had happened when dougal started vomiting chocolate and even then it took us a while to work out where he had gotten it. We rang vet's out of hour number and he said to just monitor him. We rang back when we realised it was a SUBSTANTIAL amount of dark chocolate and we are now waiting an hour until vet is available to see him.

Dougal has vomited at least 10 or 15 times so hopefully he has cleaned his stomach out. Drank two bowls of water and perked up in the past half hour so we are praying praying praying.

I don't know what I'd do if I lost him
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping my fingers crossed everything is OK with Dougal. Sending you
    Sarah

Mum of Rosie (tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Please god he will be ok. Its no ones fault. They get into everything and you cant watch them all the time especially when you have small kids etc.
    Emma
    2 lovely cavs Sam and Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know how worried you must be. Please let us know as soon as you know something. Accidents happen. They have happened to all of us....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... hubby has him at the vet at the moment. But the last time I spoke to the vet he told me they had no charcoal until morning so I'm not sure what they can do for him >:/
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i am so sorry you have to go through this, and ive got my fingers crossed that he will be ok. sadly it's one of those things, where there's a will there's a cavi and when it comes to their tums there can be no stopping them. keep us posted hun xx
    owned by bentley (tri) 'he makes me smile every day, even on those days when nothing else can'
    sullivan (lab) 'you have left a huge paw print on my heart and the pain is just a reminder that i loved and love you always'

Post Thanks / Like

I hope all turns out well, fingers crossed. It is just one of those things, and cavaliers are just greedy little dogs and he's just grabbed his chance.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks everyone for the thoughts. He's in the vets for the night. Vet was positive, the fact that he vomited so much etc. He said his tummy was spasming from all the vomiting, but he had no other symptoms. The fact that he drank lots of water and kept it down also good. He's on a drip and got a gastric bandage and some anti-spasming medication. I'm wishing away the next 9 hours til the vet opens again and I can hear how he got on overnight. Very sad my little man is away from us tonight. Best thing for him medically I'm sure, but hate that he's sick and won't have dora to cuddle up to and won't know why we left him there

Post Thanks / Like

Try not to worry too much. If he's vomited so much of it back up that'll help.
    perhaps a local pharmacy may have charcoal.I'm sure it can be found if it's essential.
    They're such scavengers aren't they?Sorry you have to be without him for the night but he's in the best place for him.
    You acted quickly though and he should be absolutely fine.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry you are going through this cecily.....Thinking of Dougal and sending hugs and kisses.

Will check for news in the morning.

It could happen to anyone of us, you acted quickly so I'm sure he will be fine xx
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)