• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Terrified... Dougal very ill

I know sins, that's the scary thing! The bag was pushed right in so I was just saying to Billy if he hadn't gotten sick, he could have died last night suddenly and we would never have known why. We've just been checking our presses and the lovely green & blacks organic cocoa we have would be highly toxic also. That's moving up to a high press! We're just starting to babyproof so we'll look at doggieproofing also. To be fair they can't actually open the presses, we just need to be more vigilant about keeping them closed, even when emergency calls!

Talk about death-by-chocolate...

Glad to hear that Dougal seems to have come through his choco-trauma relatively unscathed apart from, I imagine, a very sore tummy. :hug::hug:. The trouble is they never learn. What a good job he was so sick.

Years ago my first ever cavvie - Lady ate my son's Easter Eggs - about 6 in total - was not even sick, just drank a lot of water and had no other ill effects. At that time we didn't realise that chocolate could be fatal:shock:.

One Xmas when we were away, my son was looking after Cinders and she ate a giant bar of toberlerone - luckily it was the white chocolate and she vomited most of it back up. But we were having major panic attacks in Malaga airport :eek:

So gad he is ok:)

He sounds like Pippin, if we turn our backs he's in the presses and is so small he often gets closed in there because no one notices him go in.

We keep anything he can get at out of his reach, with the result my large presses on the bottom are half empty, while the smaller top one's are crammed!

We are expecting our first granchild in dec, but we won't have to baby proof as the house is not so much dog proof, but super Pippin proof:badgrin: We learned our lesson after we had to pull him by the hind legs out of a large bag of JWB when he sneaked in under the stairs:eek:

I am so happy this ended well for him, but, I couldn't help but smile at the image of him licking what he threw up....so pleased he lived to tell the tale:-D

Glad the little man is doing ok. That was a close thing and a lesson for all on this forum. Cavaliers are so naughty ;)

Glad that he is ok, Toby once ate a full tray of milk chocolate in a few seconds flat with no ill effects, I took him to the vet who just said as it was milk chocolate he would be ok and also said that there was nothing could be done if it was dark chocolate, no mention of charcoal or anything else. Not exactly reassuring.

Just came back to check Dougal is ok.....glad to hear he's ok...

You gotta love them:bang:

Thank God he is fine! I followed your thread during the day at work, just hoping and wishing for good news. :hug:

Rang the vet there and he not only survived the night,

I misread this, missed out the word "only" and was in tears :eek: What a relief he's ok. I'm so sorry I didn't see this thread till now.

I've heard the same thing happen with a dog and raisins. We can't trust our dogs not to hunt out these things, best to put on the top shelf out of reach, but I have a story for you.

My son, at the age of three, got a chair and climbed up to get some Ventolin syrup for his sister. She was only 2 and he fed her half a large bottle. With a heart rate of 150 beats a minute that you could hear from a distance and blood pressure of 30, she spent 3 days in hospital on a drip after having her stomach emptied. Wish I'd locked that medicine in a cabinet.

Oh my god Pauline! Thanks for that. Saw a nice medicine cabinet in Ikea that comes with a lock so I think we'll be purchasing that!! At the moment the calpol etc is all in a high shelf, but I can totally imagine a 2 or 3 year old being able to find a way to get at it. You really have to think of all the things you don't think they'd be able to do, don't you!

Anyway Dougal has been in flying form since. Tummy a bit tender still I think, and dora flat out refuses to leave his side but all good. :) Thanks everyone for the support.

So glad to hear that Dougal is doing better. Monty is my "problem" eater. He has eaten chocolate that was in my daughter's room twice. I have hydrogen peroxide on hand now just in case. It causes them to vomit.
J.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this Cecily - thank goodness Dougal is ok, what a dreadful scare :(:(

These things do happen - it's hard to make sure everything is locked away all the time.

I am catching this late but wanted to say how relieved I am for you that Dougal is okay!!
:hug:

So glad to hear Mr. Man is doing okay Cecily!! These guys can be such boogers!! Glad he got most of it out of him! I didn't know you had a baby - congratulations!! :) That's great to hear - what a lucky baby! :)

So glad he's OK -- you are so lucky he threw most of it up! I tried to post when I was in Donegal last week, using my iPhone for the laptop modem but it doesn't seem to have gone up so the (very weak) connetion must have dropped. :rolleyes: Have been thinking of you and Dougal and very happy all has ended well. :pi*no:

Back