• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Terrified... Dougal very ill

cecily

Am so upset. I know I haven't posted here in a while, but I had to do something while waiting for vet, and I know you lot will understand how scary this is.

Dougal is after eating a potentially fatal amount of dark cooking chocolate. I feel so guilty and so responsible, even though it's not really anybody's fault. The chocolate was kept in a bag at the back of a press behind lots of other things. Hubby was putting some groceries away in there when our daughter vomited quite suddenly all over me and I called him urgently to give me a hand. We were upstairs for about half an hour cleaning myself and herself up, and in the meantime the deed had been done. We didn't even notice straight away because the bag hadn't even been pulled out... it was behind a bag of flour which had been.

We only realised what had happened when dougal started vomiting chocolate and even then it took us a while to work out where he had gotten it. We rang vet's out of hour number and he said to just monitor him. We rang back when we realised it was a SUBSTANTIAL amount of dark chocolate and we are now waiting an hour until vet is available to see him.

Dougal has vomited at least 10 or 15 times so hopefully he has cleaned his stomach out. Drank two bowls of water and perked up in the past half hour so we are praying praying praying.

I don't know what I'd do if I lost him :( :( :(

Please god he will be ok. Its no ones fault. They get into everything and you cant watch them all the time especially when you have small kids etc.

Oh, I am so sorry you are having to go through this. I know how worried you must be. Please let us know as soon as you know something. Accidents happen. They have happened to all of us....

Thanks... hubby has him at the vet at the moment. But the last time I spoke to the vet he told me they had no charcoal until morning so I'm not sure what they can do for him >:/

:hug: i am so sorry you have to go through this, and ive got my fingers crossed that he will be ok. sadly it's one of those things, where there's a will there's a cavi and when it comes to their tums there can be no stopping them. keep us posted hun xx

I hope all turns out well, fingers crossed. It is just one of those things, and cavaliers are just greedy little dogs and he's just grabbed his chance. :hug:

thanks everyone for the thoughts. He's in the vets for the night. Vet was positive, the fact that he vomited so much etc. He said his tummy was spasming from all the vomiting, but he had no other symptoms. The fact that he drank lots of water and kept it down also good. He's on a drip and got a gastric bandage and some anti-spasming medication. I'm wishing away the next 9 hours til the vet opens again and I can hear how he got on overnight. Very sad my little man is away from us tonight. Best thing for him medically I'm sure, but hate that he's sick and won't have dora to cuddle up to and won't know why we left him there :(

Try not to worry too much. If he's vomited so much of it back up that'll help.
perhaps a local pharmacy may have charcoal.I'm sure it can be found if it's essential.
They're such scavengers aren't they?Sorry you have to be without him for the night but he's in the best place for him.
You acted quickly though and he should be absolutely fine.
Sins

So sorry you are going through this cecily.....Thinking of Dougal and sending hugs and kisses.

Will check for news in the morning.

It could happen to anyone of us, you acted quickly so I'm sure he will be fine xx

We're keeping Dougal in our thoughts and prayers. As others have said, it was a complete accident, it can happen so easily. Thank goodness he vomited it up quickly.

Dougal, you're a scoundrel!! I am glad to read that you up chucked most of your spoils, you little villian!!

Cecily, I'm sure he will be fine but I know how worried you are so I'm sending healing thoughts and big hugs to everyone :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Let us know how he is in the morning.

I am keeping all of you in my prayers and hope to hear some good news tomorrow! I am so sorry you are going through this.

I am sorry Dougal is ill, I hope he feels better soon. Sometimes these things happen, unfortunately it seems that a lot of the Cavaliers are greedy little monsters. Sending you are best wishes.

I am so sorry Dougal is I'll but the others are right, if he vomited so much up that's a good thing. Fingers crossed he is home to you today with his tail wagging. Penny was away from us last week for 2 nights, she was perfectly fine and it was us that stressed for her mostly because we can't be there with them when they are sick :( hoping to hear good news soon...my thiugts are with you all xx

What a worry for you. Accidents happen and like others have said the fact that he's vomitted so much is a good thing(y)

Trouble is he wont learn his lesson will he?
Leo ate tinsel one xmas and I couldnt work out what it was he had eaten until I siften through what he's brought up:yikes

Praying Dougal will be ok and sending hugs and best wishes to you

Mel X

Thanks for the messages everyone. Rang the vet there and he not only survived the night, but is in good form and the nurse had him out for a walk.

What a night! Had to camp on the sofa with dora because she wouldn't settle anywhere but the front room for some reason.

He's an incredible dog. He had at LEAST 500g of dark cooking chocolate. The absolute worst, and in a large quantity. His saving grace is that he's fairly quick to vomit if he eats too much rich food, thank goodness.
Looking forward to picking him up and having a nap.

Trouble is he wont learn his lesson will he?
Leo ate tinsel one xmas and I couldnt work out what it was he had eaten until I siften through what he's brought up:yikes

Had to laugh at this... learn his lesson??! Not a chance. In between getting sick he was licking the chocolate off his paws and doras mouth (she got some on her mouth when trying to investigate his vomit) :grnyuk: :grnyuk: Plus when we took the bag of chocolate out of the bin to check the percentage of cocoa he got real excited :rolleyes:

Glad Leo survived his tinsel episode :)

So is the chocoholic himself coming home?:rolleyes:.
500g is a serious amount of chocolate,Maybe it was just as well he ate so much of it that it actually made him sick.....had he eaten a lesser amount and kept it down you may never have even known...:?
I suppose now you have to wash two dogs:D
Sins

Back