• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

very heavy shedding!!!!

KCB

Wondering if anyone can shed (excuse the pun) any light on the reason why Charlie is just shedding very heavily at the moment.

Just to give a little background to this I adopted Charlie and Lola in May. They are about 2 and 1. Had been left in a house with no food or water for about ten days. They were posted here on the rescue section as cavaliers in Cork. Two beautiful dogs and am delighted with them. Having some small problems with Charlie which I will ask about another time but at moment as I said he is shedding unbelievably.

So my question is what is causing this????

Thinking myself if it is hormones settling as he was neutered in April or is it caused by bad diet in previous home. He is on Burns now. Lola is shedding as normal if any sort of shedding by cavaliers is normal.

Thank you for all your advice and help in advance

It may not necessarily be a problem.You'd be amazed at how much they can shed at times.Daisy is a heavy shedder and since she was spayed her coat is not as easy to manage,so keep up the good diet and if you're in maxi Zoo,take a look at the furminators.They're a good investment and cheap at the moment.I think I paid €35? for the furminator and the dry shampoo together.If it persists maybe have him checked out again.
Sins

Excessive shedding can be a sign of stress, he has obviously been through alit, so this is normal, it should settle down once he settles in more. You cab get him groomed which would get rid of some excess, but I'd recommend talking to someone about helping to ease his stress levels...I've had the same problem with one of mine rescues, Dog Training Ireland has helped both me & Des, he still has a way to go, but it's amazing how he has improved & less shedding :-D hope this helps

Thanks Sins and Zoe Bowie did not even think of stress:bang: I have been giving him rescue remedy some days so this may help. He was not shedding much when he came but in the last week or two it has got worse hence why I was wondering about the hormones and the neuter.

Sins was in Maxi Zoo in Midleton on Saturday so might take another trip for the furminator. Thank you both.

DogtrainingIreland have a product in their online shop called Kalmaid. Tara recommended it for a very stressed foster cavalier I had last year.It's a natural product and can be useful just to settle them a little.
The furminator is wonderful.It's marvellous for preventing the balls of tumbleweed that swirl down the hallway:D
Sins

I don't know what color he is, but my blenheim sheds more than twice as much as my other three. Almost all of the furballs I have in the hallways and corners are white. When he is stressed it is so much worse, the white fur just flies - especially at the vet. No matter what color clothes I wear to the vet, I come home wearing white ones!

Back