Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anal Glands ----- Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Anal Glands ----- Again

HI

I am coming to the conclusion that Cavaliers must enjoy scooting just for the sheer fun of it and possibly also to have a scratch along the way ,just like Tania's new superb cartoons.

I took Rosie on the Saturday before we went on hols to the vets to have her glands checked and expressed if needed ,and the amount that came out was minimal and of course a few days later there she was scooting again .

As they are all on Natural Instinct raw with added veg for bulk I have also included two more products to assist them all with firmer poops these are .

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-sup...800g-pot-p-769

and

http://www.poochandmutt.com/mobilebo...Fepc4wodH2Mdeg

both products here both the Bionic Biotic and the Mobile Bones.

And have also purchased last week and have been trying .

http://www.enaturalremedies.co.uk/an...lands-odor.htm

This is used with cotton wool swabs as a hot compress over the gland opening ,and even though I have watched my vets express them many times and viewed lots of diagrams as to where they are I am not sure I am placing the cotton wool swab over the glands. So does anybody know of a simple and easy way for me to find them as so far I don't know if I have and I don't think Rosie is very amused when I grab hold of her then lift her tail up with one hand and then start rooting around her bum with my other hand encased in a rubber glove . I would like to have the knowledge and confidence to express her glands if needed but initially I would be more than happy to know that I am putting this compress in the right place .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know you will not want to hear this Brian but the best thing I have ever done for my dogs is to give them raw food and bones. I can honestly say that approx 6 weeks after starting this diet the problem with the glands disappeared.
    They have chicken wings maybe 3 times a week and a lamb bone once a week, they have never looked back and I am sure would turn they nose up in disgust if offered anything else.

Nanette

PS have tried protexin did absolutely nothing.
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    HI
    I would like to have the knowledge and confidence to express her glands if needed but initially I would be more than happy to know that I am putting this compress in the right place .
    Since I have changed to Darlings Raw Food, the dreaded anal glands have improved significantly! I am not brave enough to have a go myself, I let my vet do it. I take them every four weeks to have a general check at the same time. Good Luck Brian
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Going to have to agree with HollyDolly here! We had endless problems with our dogs (mainly Ozzy) before going onto raw. And I do think it's the bones that make the difference although I know you're not keen on feeding them... (We started with just the "mush" from Natural Instinct and gradually introduced more bones).

Also, just a thought but maybe they are getting too many veggies? That can have disasterous effects here! I know there is some veg in the Natural Instinct mix, so maybe by adding more, you're upsetting the balance?
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

I too would have liked to be able to carry out the job but I can only say that I have had a look and decided that I couldn't see anything but fur!!! a trip to the vet is just easier. Since Bella had the bad anal problem last year, I only have to look in the direction of her bottom and she promptly attaches her bottom to the ground and I can't shift her.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is talking about anal glands lol

I was wondering, I've read a few times on here about people feeding chicken wings...I always thought that chicken bones were a bad idea. Should I be giving my two these? What are the benefits/risks? Raw or cooked? I'm open to new ideas

Cheers....Teresa..x

Post Thanks / Like

The anal glands are located at 4 and 8 o'clock if you were looking at a clock face - either sides of their "hole".The glands are not visible from the outside.If you place your finger tips at the points mentioned above and apply a little pressure, you should be able to feel like two little grapes.If you arch the tail over the back a little more, the glands raise a little to help with locating.These are the anal glands.I find I need to do Scarlett's on a monthly basis, more as a precaution than anything and usually at bath time as the warmth of the water helps imo.

ETA - to remove, squeeze firmly but don't pinch and work up with each squeeze, like milking a cow.

Good luck and I advise doing it in somewhere "clean easy" like the bathroom

x

Post Thanks / Like

Teresa - If you feed chicken wings (or any bones) they should always be fed raw. If they are cooked, they can be very dangerous. There are risks associated with feeding raw, so you may like to research it and make your own decision but our dogs are thriving on it, as are many other raw-fed dogs I know.
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

In Bella's case its getting the clock face off the ground

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by team bella View Post
    In Bella's case its getting the clock face off the ground
    How true.

Use both arms to raise her up and then drape her over your bended knee to stop her sinking down again.
    In theory you can then hold her still with one arm and grope her backside with the free hand.

Yes, I do know it is easier said than done.

I don't feed raw but I do add bran to their meal.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi