• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands ----- Again

Nicki, just wondering where you get your chicken and rabbit carcasses from? We haven't had much luck with local butchers, so have been getting the chicken carcasses from Natural Instinct, but I'd be interested to know of other suppliers. I'm sure the dogs would love a bunny carcass too!

Hi

Today they all had their Natural Instinct breakfast then this afternoon I have given them breast of lamb which I bought from one of the butchers in Birkenhead market, they kindly chopped and cut it all up into Cavalier size pieces for me. I then trimmed off some excess fat and gave them two pieces each which had some meat and fat on together with some breast bone and some apple and their multi vitamin tablet with a teaspoon of pro biotic goats yogurt, and having just got in after their last walk they have just had for supper one strawberry each and some chilled water melon and two whitebait .While out I popped into Sainsbury's and bought some chicken wings which I will chop up into manageable pieces and try them with some tomorrow . A question please as I know nothing about food or cooking do I leave the skin on or take it off :confused:
I will only feed them chicken or lamb with bone while I am with them to watch and ensure they are all O K and only intend to part feed them these foods as an occasional alternative until I am sure in my own mind they are all happy which I am think they all will be.
Thank you Nanette for your kind reply and links as I need all the help and guidance I can get from all our resident experts and please advise me if I am making any silly mistakes .:)

I found these on my internet wandering.

http://www.mobilepetsuppliesltd.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11

Back to your very first post, Brian - could cavaliers scoot simply because they like it? Oliver has scooted almost from the day we got him as a pup. His vet says his glands are tucked way up, but even when they're emptied he comes homes and scoots again. No break for my boy!! He does it on the carpet, on the floor, the grass, the wooden deck (ouch - I always worry about splinters!!), the flagstone walk - no place is safe from my boy's butt. Luckily, he has never had an infection and I've never seen anything come out. But maybe that's why Oz likes to lick the carpet so much!!

Hi

Yes I agree they do scoot because they like it and it scaratches their bums as they scoot so its a cavalier thing just for enjoyment and if they do so good on them .:)

If any one wants to feed rabbit then have found this company, not cheap

http://www.woldsway.co.uk/

Rabbit is very gentle on tummies, good for sensitivities.

I know it is a real concern feeding chicken wings whole, I tend to buy mine from Morrisons and they are large not so easy to go down in one.

Brian join the http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/ some members have been feeding raw/bones for many years and are so informative and helpful, they have a files section which you can go through and find much information and also post questions.

I know what ever you decide to do your beautiful girls are in safe hands.:lotsaluv:

Nanette

Hi

Yes I agree they do scoot because they like it and it scaratches their bums as they scoot so its a cavalier thing just for enjoyment and if they do so good on them .:)

Well perhaps instead of buying them a freezer you should employ a bum scratcher for the little darlings :jump:

We are in a very rural area so they actually shoot the rabbits around me and then drop them off...I had to learn to dress them myself :*gh: {especially hard as I'm vegetarian ;)} but it is worth it as they average 1kg in weight {meat and bones} after skinning and gutting.

Otherwise they just bin them :yikes which is a dreadful waste.

My Mother managed to buy rabbit at her local farmers' market in Norfolk - for £1.50 each which was cheap. I guess that they shoot them too and then sell them.

If you're in the countryside it's worth asking around - also if there is anyone locally who hunts with ferrets or birds of prey.

Chickens - I tend to buy whole chickens {hubby eats meat} and then cut them up. Although my local butcher sells chicken "backs" for £1.50 {the carcase and two wings} - but I leave more meat on mine.

Lamb ribs you can sometimes get free from meat wholesalers - also heart is cheap. We can also get ox "lights" which are lungs very cheap. They are not that nutritious though - but are great for drying in a low oven and feeding as a treat.

Obviously anything I buy raw I freeze for at least a week before feeding.

Chicken wings or thighs I leave the skin on {unless you have a Cavalier prone to weight gain or pancreatitis, then you need to remove as much skin as possible}. NEVER feed turkey skin, cooked or raw.

Heart is counted as a muscle meat, not offal.

We also feed raw tripe - which I buy from Pets at Home or a local independent pet shop, but it's expensive at 75 to 80p for 400g.

If you don't want to feed bones at all, you can use BioMineral http://www.luposan.de/en/biomineral.html which you can get from the Markus Muehle lady too.

We also use Markus Muehle dried food http://www.markus-muehle.de/en/naturnahfutter.htm which is one of the best dried foods I've found. You can obtain it direct from them, for £39 for a 15kg bag including delivery, which is very reasonable. I did the food grading system on it and it comes out as an A+.

Oliver has scooted almost from the day we got him as a pup.

I'm sorry but excessive scooting would worry me a bit - this does sound rather excessive :( and *may* not be anal gland problems.

Sometimes it is just attention seeking, but I think I would want to get it checked out - sadly many Syringomyelia affected dogs do scoot like this too. Obviously if it's the only symptom then chances are it is not the reason, but also not something to ignore...

I'm sorry but excessive scooting would worry me a bit - this does sound rather excessive :( and *may* not be anal gland problems.

Sometimes it is just attention seeking, but I think I would want to get it checked out - sadly many Syringomyelia affected dogs do scoot like this too. Obviously if it's the only symptom then chances are it is not the reason, but also not something to ignore...

I would have concerns if excessive. Bum scooting can certainly be a SM symptom.

Sometimes scooting can just be due to soreness. Soft bowel motions can dry on the anus and some dogs find that uncomfortable.
It may be worth smearing a dab of vaseline on the affected area for a few days & see if that eases the symptoms.

Def agree they wouldn't be scooting because they like it -- it is an odd behaviour with a cause, and something is going on to cause a dog to feel it needs to move in this very strange way. It is quite weird behaviour when you think about it for a four-legged animal, and many cavaliers do seem to do this all the time.

For some I have no doubt at all that it is definitely anal glands, as they will stop once they are expressed. For some it may indicate a response to pain. For some, itchiness -- but it isn't normal for them to always have this itchiness either. Small breeds can have very small anal gland openings so they can fill and clog more easily -- hence small breeds get impacted and infected anal glands far more than medium to large breeds, according to vets. Dogs do try to empty them by dragging themselves along -- which is NOT great on carpets etc as what gives dog poo its characteristic strong stink is the stinky fluid that comes out of anal glands (if you have ever had this burst out of your dog, you will not forget the smell!). What they are smearing is the anal gland fluid -- ugh. So not something I really like mine doing in the house. Scooting could I think also in some dogs be related to flea allergy which often causes dogs to bite at their hindquarters.

Scooting is known to be connected to SM -- and one of my SM dogs rubs her behind back and forth against furniture so there's definitely some sort of discomfort in their hindquarters for some with this condition. Keep in mind that there's a fairly high degree of CM (at least 90% of cavaliers) and by all accounts SM in the breed (now estimated from research at 35-70%, but there will be some research figures coming out shortly that really put 'levels of breed affectedness' in shocking perspective :eek:) and I think a lot of these odd and seemingly quaint behaviours are probably actually related to discomfort. One of the most common symptoms described by humans with Chiari Malformation and/or SM is skin-crawling sensations and shooting pain. One woman with SM who also owns a cavalier with SM described her own discomfort as being like having rats running up and down the inside of her legs while biting them. Others have said the sensation is like having worms creeping beneath the skin. So unfortunately I have my own suspicions that the face rubbing and scooting that in many dogs (and many other breeds) is fairly innocuous or related only to anal glands is probably due to neurological discomfort -- probably fairly mild in most dogs who do this but almost certainly connected in some way to the fact that most have skulls slightly too small for their brains (the malformation) and so many also eventually develop syrinxes.

Hi

Since Saturday they have all been on 100 % raw and its all gone down no problem ,as I said prior I will feed over the next two weeks 50 % my preparation and 50 % Natural Instinct and keep an eye on their health and their poops and naturally any scooting

4831393883_172e0329b9_b.jpg

I think I have missed out the goats yogurt and the two sardines which went in later ,so we have lamb breast ,chicken wing ,apple,banana ,salmon oil ,shredded wheat one only ,cottage cheese ,bionic bionic ,one vitamin tablet,pinch of garlic powder and some N I tripe

4831391351_5a271500cd_b.jpg

Can I come for tea Brian?:rotfl:

Are you giving all that in one meal?
My two would only get for example:- small piece of lamb for breakfast then chicken wing for tea. Then next day maybe Heart for breakfast and tripe for tea. Lamb is very fattening so would restrict intake.

One of my previous dogs had trouble with anal glands and she developed excema round her bottom which also caused her to scoot, problem cured with anti-inflammotry cream.

Nanette

Last edited:
I keep saying , , , if there is truly such a thing as reincarnation, I want to come back as one of Brian's Flower Power girls. :D

With Sophie, I rotate her meats every four days (which is a 2-lb pkge of her Oma's Pride). I learned to do that from reading some of the raw/home-prepared food forums. I won't mix the meats, as the constant daily exposure to the same protein source could lead to food allergies and she has enough of that already with non-meat items. Her meat sources are chicken, beef, turkey, lamb.

Your girls are very lucky dogs and they must love you to bits!

Hi Nanette and Waldor

I am OK now with my raw supply of chicken and lamb but what part of a turkey do I look for at the butchers and the same with beef which part .:confused: I have acquired a prof big meat cleaver and a big chopping block and Nanette am looking at that meat mincer/grinder I did read on one of the raw forums that one should freeze chicken for a week before using ,is that right ,and somebody wrote vegs grown above ground equal soft poohs but below ground ,root I presume mean firmer ones but to exclude potato,any thoughts on that.
Hi Waldor I would certainly like to rotate their meat source but I just need that bit more guidance and knowledge and to source my supply ,somehow I don't really fancy feeding Bugs Bunny .:(

Back