• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal Glands ----- Again

Brian M

HI

I am coming to the conclusion that Cavaliers must enjoy scooting just for the sheer fun of it and possibly also to have a scratch along the way ,just like Tania's new superb cartoons.:)

I took Rosie on the Saturday before we went on hols to the vets to have her glands checked and expressed if needed ,and the amount that came out was minimal and of course a few days later there she was scooting again .:confused:

As they are all on Natural Instinct raw with added veg for bulk I have also included two more products to assist them all with firmer poops these are .

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/digestive-su...otexin-pro-fibre-for-dogs-cats-800g-pot-p-769

and

http://www.poochandmutt.com/mobilebones/?gclid=CImX2diL_6ICFepc4wodH2Mdeg

both products here both the Bionic Biotic and the Mobile Bones.

And have also purchased last week and have been trying .

http://www.enaturalremedies.co.uk/analglandz-treat-anal-glands-odor.htm

This is used with cotton wool swabs as a hot compress over the gland opening ,and even though I have watched my vets express them many times and viewed lots of diagrams as to where they are I am not sure I am placing the cotton wool swab over the glands. :confused: So does anybody know of a simple and easy way for me to find them as so far I don't know if I have and I don't think Rosie is very amused when I grab hold of her then lift her tail up with one hand and then start rooting around her bum with my other hand encased in a rubber glove .:yikes I would like to have the knowledge and confidence to express her glands if needed but initially I would be more than happy to know that I am putting this compress in the right place . :)

I know you will not want to hear this Brian but the best thing I have ever done for my dogs is to give them raw food and bones. I can honestly say that approx 6 weeks after starting this diet the problem with the glands disappeared.
They have chicken wings maybe 3 times a week and a lamb bone once a week, they have never looked back and I am sure would turn they nose up in disgust if offered anything else.

Nanette

PS have tried protexin did absolutely nothing.

HI
:yikes I would like to have the knowledge and confidence to express her glands if needed but initially I would be more than happy to know that I am putting this compress in the right place . :)

Since I have changed to Darlings Raw Food, the dreaded anal glands have improved significantly! I am not brave enough to have a go myself, I let my vet do it. I take them every four weeks to have a general check at the same time. Good Luck Brian :eek:

Going to have to agree with HollyDolly here! We had endless problems with our dogs (mainly Ozzy) before going onto raw. And I do think it's the bones that make the difference although I know you're not keen on feeding them... (We started with just the "mush" from Natural Instinct and gradually introduced more bones).

Also, just a thought but maybe they are getting too many veggies? That can have disasterous effects here! I know there is some veg in the Natural Instinct mix, so maybe by adding more, you're upsetting the balance?

I too would have liked to be able to carry out the job but I can only say that I have had a look and decided that I couldn't see anything but fur!!! a trip to the vet is just easier. Since Bella had the bad anal problem last year, I only have to look in the direction of her bottom :yikes and she promptly attaches her bottom to the ground and I can't shift her.

Everyone is talking about anal glands lol :)

I was wondering, I've read a few times on here about people feeding chicken wings...I always thought that chicken bones were a bad idea. Should I be giving my two these? What are the benefits/risks? Raw or cooked? I'm open to new ideas :)

Cheers....Teresa..x

The anal glands are located at 4 and 8 o'clock if you were looking at a clock face - either sides of their "hole".The glands are not visible from the outside.If you place your finger tips at the points mentioned above and apply a little pressure, you should be able to feel like two little grapes.If you arch the tail over the back a little more, the glands raise a little to help with locating.These are the anal glands.I find I need to do Scarlett's on a monthly basis, more as a precaution than anything and usually at bath time as the warmth of the water helps imo.

ETA - to remove, squeeze firmly but don't pinch and work up with each squeeze, like milking a cow.

Good luck and I advise doing it in somewhere "clean easy" like the bathroom :rolleyes:

x

Teresa - If you feed chicken wings (or any bones) they should always be fed raw. If they are cooked, they can be very dangerous. There are risks associated with feeding raw, so you may like to research it and make your own decision :) but our dogs are thriving on it, as are many other raw-fed dogs I know.

In Bella's case its getting the clock face off the ground :)

:badgrin: How true.

Use both arms to raise her up and then drape her over your bended knee to stop her sinking down again.
In theory you can then hold her still with one arm and grope her backside with the free hand.

Yes, I do know it is easier said than done.

I don't feed raw but I do add bran to their meal.

So far, this is a nuisance that Sophie has only experienced once.

Would any of us have ever though, in our wildest dreams years ago, that we would be talking about dog butts (a/k/a bums in the UK) on the internet? :biggrin: LOL

Lol @ Waldor

Margaret - That's exactly how I do it.

As for feeding, I'll fully soak a few bits of kibble and then stir in a dry handful to help with transit lol

Good luck, Team Bella

x

I know you will not want to hear this Brian but the best thing I have ever done for my dogs is to give them raw food and bones. I can honestly say that approx 6 weeks after starting this diet the problem with the glands disappeared.
They have chicken wings maybe 3 times a week and a lamb bone once a week, they have never looked back and I am sure would turn they nose up in disgust if offered anything else.

Nanette

PS have tried protexin did absolutely nothing.

Hello Nanette

I will hear anything from a person of your standing , knowledge and experience with our Cavaliers and especially so as you fairy godmother to all four of them and could possibly be their future Mum so you have every right to guide me in the direction you think I should go as I fully appreciate our agreed arrangement so to me you are already part of their family for which they and I thank you.:)

I would love to give them more Raw but like most I am a coward but I want to try if its better for them as that is my sole concern .So Nanette may I ask how many wings you feed how often, and what else do you feed as I am nervous also about over feeding .
I am getting another freezer next week just for the girls so will have a lot more space so I need help on going full raw with how much for each Cav and how often ,I am very methodical in feeding and carefully weigh everything to try and ensure I don't overfeed .
And thanks to all for all the varied good replies to my post ,I am more than willing to read and learn if it benefits my girls ,my mind is always open to all suggestions.

I always used to feed mine chicken wings until one day I saw one disappear down Molly whole :eek: fortunately it came straight back up. I have heard of dogs getting blockages and having all sorts of problems if given wings whole. Nicki posted on the 30th April under Cavalier Health and Diet, a warning, a dog almost choked to death on one.

I now chop them up (raw) with sharp garden scissors for peace of mind, the benefits will be the same..........please be careful.

Hello Margaret

Freezer ordered ,its frost free with a fast freeze facility so I hope they like it.:)

PS you did have me smiling with your comment this morning .:):)

Don't forget that Cavaliers do also scoot for attention :D

It's normal for them to have a small amount of fluid in the anal glands - it is excreted with the poo to add the scent that dogs delight in smelling.

With the three youngsters, I have one with one gland which seems to block, the others are fine. I think sometimes the hole is a bit small and it doesn't always empty as well as it should.

With bones, yes there were two King Charles and a Cavalier all DIED choking on chicken wings in the last few years. So it does need very close supervision, or as Tania suggested, chopping them up first with garden pruners {I couldn't find any dishwasher safe ones though Tania? :eek::D}

I have found mine to be ok with chicken backs {the bit left after you've removed the legs, breast etc; leaving some meat} These are not as easy to bolt down as the wings, they require more chewing. I split a chicken in half - a rabbit carcase into three. The pruners are brilliant for splitting carcasses too (y)

Nanette, I struggled to find a mincer which would deal with chicken carcasses - it might be worth looking at the Britbarf list on Yahoo for further help, also for advice on mincers.

Back