Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anal Glands ----- Again

Post Thanks / Like

So far, this is a nuisance that Sophie has only experienced once.

Would any of us have ever though, in our wildest dreams years ago, that we would be talking about dog butts (a/k/a bums in the UK) on the internet? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Lol @ Waldor

Margaret - That's exactly how I do it.

As for feeding, I'll fully soak a few bits of kibble and then stir in a dry handful to help with transit lol

Good luck, Team Bella

x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I know you will not want to hear this Brian but the best thing I have ever done for my dogs is to give them raw food and bones. I can honestly say that approx 6 weeks after starting this diet the problem with the glands disappeared.
    They have chicken wings maybe 3 times a week and a lamb bone once a week, they have never looked back and I am sure would turn they nose up in disgust if offered anything else.

Nanette

PS have tried protexin did absolutely nothing.
    Hello Nanette

I will hear anything from a person of your standing , knowledge and experience with our Cavaliers and especially so as you fairy godmother to all four of them and could possibly be their future Mum so you have every right to guide me in the direction you think I should go as I fully appreciate our agreed arrangement so to me you are already part of their family for which they and I thank you.

I would love to give them more Raw but like most I am a coward but I want to try if its better for them as that is my sole concern .So Nanette may I ask how many wings you feed how often, and what else do you feed as I am nervous also about over feeding .
    I am getting another freezer next week just for the girls so will have a lot more space so I need help on going full raw with how much for each Cav and how often ,I am very methodical in feeding and carefully weigh everything to try and ensure I don't overfeed .
    And thanks to all for all the varied good replies to my post ,I am more than willing to read and learn if it benefits my girls ,my mind is always open to all suggestions.
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

I always used to feed mine chicken wings until one day I saw one disappear down Molly whole fortunately it came straight back up. I have heard of dogs getting blockages and having all sorts of problems if given wings whole. Nicki posted on the 30th April under Cavalier Health and Diet, a warning, a dog almost choked to death on one.

I now chop them up (raw) with sharp garden scissors for peace of mind, the benefits will be the same..........please be careful.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have just spent 20 minutes replying to your post Brian and got timed out

I will reply again when I have cooled down

http://www.landywoods.co.uk/ Dog food

http://www.raw4dogs.com/calculate.htm how much to give

Nanette
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    I now chop them up (raw) with sharp garden scissors for peace of mind, the benefits will be the same..........please be careful.

What about investing in a mincer?
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I am getting another freezer next week just for the girls
    Hello Brian,

I know you will do anything for your flower girls' comfort, and it has been a hot summer, but putting them in the freezer is probably going a bit too far.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Margaret C View Post
    Hello Brian,

I know you will do anything for your flower girls' comfort, and it has been a hot summer, but putting them in the freezer is probably going a bit too far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Margaret

Freezer ordered ,its frost free with a fast freeze facility so I hope they like it.

PS you did have me smiling with your comment this morning .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't forget that Cavaliers do also scoot for attention

It's normal for them to have a small amount of fluid in the anal glands - it is excreted with the poo to add the scent that dogs delight in smelling.

With the three youngsters, I have one with one gland which seems to block, the others are fine. I think sometimes the hole is a bit small and it doesn't always empty as well as it should.

With bones, yes there were two King Charles and a Cavalier all DIED choking on chicken wings in the last few years. So it does need very close supervision, or as Tania suggested, chopping them up first with garden pruners {I couldn't find any dishwasher safe ones though Tania? }

I have found mine to be ok with chicken backs {the bit left after you've removed the legs, breast etc; leaving some meat} These are not as easy to bolt down as the wings, they require more chewing. I split a chicken in half - a rabbit carcase into three. The pruners are brilliant for splitting carcasses too

Nanette, I struggled to find a mincer which would deal with chicken carcasses - it might be worth looking at the Britbarf list on Yahoo for further help, also for advice on mincers.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org