• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shape of Cavaliers

Bet

I have just been looking at Photos of Cavaliers on another Site, what Long Backs they they have now-days and Shorter Legs from what the Cavaliers had in the Past.

This must be type of Cavalier that is wanted now for winning in the Show Scene, but they just don't look like Cavaliers any-more.

Just a Thought, could it be possible that this Type of Cavalier Back be linked to their SM Problem.

Bet

Shape of cavaliers

I have just been looking at Photos of Cavaliers on another Site, what Long Backs they they have now-days and Shorter Legs from what the Cavaliers had in the Past.

This must be type of Cavalier that is wanted now for winning in the Show Scene, but they just don't look like Cavaliers any-more.

Just a Thought, could it be possible that this Type of Cavalier Back be linked to their SM Problem.

Bet

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

I think it will be alright to mention this on this Thread

This is from another Cavalier Forum

At a Recent Show ,two Cavalier Exhibitors had remarked on how Long the Cavaliers appear to be getting ,and this was followed up by a Long Established Cavalier Breeder saying the same thing.

It was also said that some Cavalier Judges are now saying the same thing.

I just don't know ,but mention was made that of the fact that the Length of the Cavalier Rib Cage has Extended along with the Spine, and as a consequence,the Wideness of the of the Ribs has now become more narrow, giving too many Cavaliers Slab Sides,could there be a Link with the Cavalier SM problem now that this is happening.

Mention was also mentioned on this Forum about the Shortness of some Cavaliers Legs.

Bet

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

I think it will be alright to mention this on this Thread

This is from another Cavalier Forum

At a Recent Show ,two Cavalier Exhibitors had remarked on how Long the Cavaliers appear to be getting ,and this was followed up by a Long Established Cavalier Breeder saying the same thing.

It was also said that some Cavalier Judges are now saying the same thing.

I just don't know ,but mention was made that of the fact that the Length of the Cavalier Rib Cage has Extended along with the Spine, and as a consequence,the Wideness of the of the Ribs has now become more narrow, giving too many Cavaliers Slab Sides,could there be a Link with the Cavalier SM problem now that this is happening.

Mention was also mentioned on this Forum about the Shortness of some Cavaliers Legs.

Bet

Where can I read of such discussion? Esther

Shape of cavaliers

Where can I read of such discussion? Esther

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Can I mention the Cavalier Chat Forum where this discussion is going on.

Could I add to what I have been Posting about this.

If the Cavalier Rib Cage is getting Narrower, then the Cavaliers' Hearts possibly could be not getting enough room to function properly.

Is this maybe the reason because of the Alteration to the Cavaliers Rib Cage becoming Narrower, that there is no Difference to be seen in their Heart Murmur Figures from 18 years ago,as was said at the UK CKCS CLUB AGM last year.

Can I also add ,that so many Cavaliers' Heads now are Smaller than they were 20-30 years ago,if now as has been quoted, Cavaliers having Short Stocky Little Legs,then Cavaliers must be getting Smaller in Size.

Are Many Cavalier Breeders now giving the Cavaliers a different Look to what they were in years gone past.?

Could this all be tied up with the Two Serious Health Problems afflicting the Cavalier Breed, SM and MVD.

I don't know, but if the Shape of Cavaliers is being Altered ,then there ,I would think Damage being caused to their Well Being.

Bet.

Shape of cavaliers

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Can I mention the Cavalier Chat Forum where this discussion is going on.

Could I add to what I have been Posting about this.

If the Cavalier Rib Cage is getting Narrower, then the Cavaliers' Hearts possibly could be not getting enough room to function properly.

Is this maybe the reason because of the Alteration to the Cavaliers Rib Cage becoming Narrower, that there is no Difference to be seen in their Heart Murmur Figures from 18 years ago,as was said at the UK CKCS CLUB AGM last year.

Can I also add ,that so many Cavaliers' Heads now are Smaller than they were 20-30 years ago,if now as has been quoted, Cavaliers having Short Stocky Little Legs,then Cavaliers must be getting Smaller in Size.

Are Many Cavalier Breeders now giving the Cavaliers a different Look to what they were in years gone past.?

Could this all be tied up with the Two Serious Health Problems afflicting the Cavalier Breed, SM and MVD.

I don't know, but if the Shape of Cavaliers is being Altered ,then there ,I would think Damage being caused to their Well Being.

Bet.

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Now that there are dicussions about this taking place, could I mention that a Number of years ago when I was collecting Pedigrees of Cavaliers who were suffering from Heart Trouble, I started to wonder if Cavaliers with Bigger Rib Cages, had less chance of having a Heart Problem than those Cavaliers who had Smaller or Narrower Rib Cages, and began to check this out, .

It was suprising to find out how often Cavaliers with Big Rib Cages ,had no sign of Heart Trouble.

Has any-body got any thoughts about this?

Bet

Well my little Iver has a very wide rib cage and so did his mum and grandparents.. All of them are hart clear!!

Our Tula is much more slender and so was her parents and they are also heart clear!! But after reading this thread I'm starting to think that Tula may end up with heart problems. :eek:

But at the moment they are both young, healthy and happy :)

Summer.

Hi Summer,
The thread on another forum is simply a discussion about the cosmetic points which appeal to different kinds of cavalier exhibitors/judges.More about how to breed a well balanced cavalier of correct size and proportions for the showring.
I don't believe any of the issues raised would have any relationship with matters of health such as syringomyelia or MVD.
Hopefully you'll have many years of good health and enjoyment with your cavaliers.
Sins

Shape of cavaliers

Hi Summer,
The thread on another forum is simply a discussion about the cosmetic points which appeal to different kinds of cavalier exhibitors/judges.More about how to breed a well balanced cavalier of correct size and proportions for the showring.
I don't believe any of the issues raised would have any relationship with matters of health such as syringomyelia or MVD.
Hopefully you'll have many years of good health and enjoyment with your cavaliers.
Sins

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Maybe this is a discussion about a Well Balanced Cavalier on another Cavalier Forum,but has the Alteration of their Shape for Long Backs and Short ,Stubby Legs, been Researched into asto whether this could be involved in the Cavaliers' Health Problems.

If the Cavaliers' Shape is being Altered, then maybe some-thing is happening to their Spine.

I do not know, but then no-body else can say that they know whether this is happening or not.

Is this Trend for Cavaliers to have Long Backs and Short Stubby Legs, involved with Winning in the Cavalier Show Scene ?

Surely not, since they do not look like Cavaliers any more.

Bet

Shape of cavaliers

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Maybe this is a discussion about a Well Balanced Cavalier on another Cavalier Forum,but has the Alteration of their Shape for Long Backs and Short ,Stubby Legs, been Researched into asto whether this could be involved in the Cavaliers' Health Problems.

If the Cavaliers' Shape is being Altered, then maybe some-thing is happening to their Spine.

I do not know, but then no-body else can say that they know whether this is happening or not.

Is this Trend for Cavaliers to have Long Backs and Short Stubby Legs, involved with Winning in the Cavalier Show Scene ?

Surely not, since they do not look like Cavaliers any more.

Bet

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

This question will sure Ruffle a Lot of Feathers.!!!!!

Has the Show Scene been responsible for some of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed.

The aim of the Cavalier Show Goers seems to be to want a Show Quality Cavalier, this statement has been mentioned on other Cavalier Forums.

What we Cavalier Pet Owners want ,is the Chance of having a Cavalier who will be our 4 Legged Friend who will have a Healthy ,Long Life.

Many Cavalier Breeders seem to want to Breed Cavaliers who have chance of Winning in the Show Ring.

Is this another Fashion Trend that is happening to Cavaliers at the Moment to be able to Win in the Show Ring ,to have Long Backs and Short Legs.

Does any Cavalier Breeder know what a Strain those Long Cavalier Backs could be putting on the Cavaliers' Spine.

I would'nt think so.

Long Backs can put Undue Pressure on the Spine.

Will this Craze for the Longer Backs in Cavaliers' now maybe cause another Health Problem for Cavaliers.

Time will tell .

Bet

Shape of cavaliers

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

This question will sure Ruffle a Lot of Feathers.!!!!!

Has the Show Scene been responsible for some of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed.

The aim of the Cavalier Show Goers seems to be to want a Show Quality Cavalier, this statement has been mentioned on other Cavalier Forums.

What we Cavalier Pet Owners want ,is the Chance of having a Cavalier who will be our 4 Legged Friend who will have a Healthy ,Long Life.

Many Cavalier Breeders seem to want to Breed Cavaliers who have chance of Winning in the Show Ring.

Is this another Fashion Trend that is happening to Cavaliers at the Moment to be able to Win in the Show Ring ,to have Long Backs and Short Legs.

Does any Cavalier Breeder know what a Strain those Long Cavalier Backs could be putting on the Cavaliers' Spine.

I would'nt think so.

Long Backs can put Undue Pressure on the Spine.

Will this Craze for the Longer Backs in Cavaliers' now maybe cause another Health Problem for Cavaliers.

Time will tell .

Bet

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Sorry to go back to this again, but I have just been reading the Cavalier Breed Standard,and one thing that is mentioned is ,

That there should be no exaggerations which would be in any way Detrimental to the Health, Welfare or Soundness of this Breed.

I would think that the Long Backs that a number of Cavaliers now have from years ago, could this not be classed as an Exaggeration ,and could be giving a Health Problem , because of the Pressure that is being put on their Spine.

Bet

Shape of cavaliers

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Sorry to go back to this again, but I have just been reading the Cavalier Breed Standard,and one thing that is mentioned is ,

That there should be no exaggerations which would be in any way Detrimental to the Health, Welfare or Soundness of this Breed.

I would think that the Long Backs that a number of Cavaliers now have from years ago, could this not be classed as an Exaggeration ,and could be giving a Health Problem , because of the Pressure that is being put on their Spine.

Bet

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Could I mention this subject again,

Incase any-body is interested ,the Science Paper can be found at,

www.plosone.org/article/info:do%...al.pone.0011946

The Heading of the Paper is,

Human Induced Rotation and Reorganization of the Brain of Domestic Dogs.

The Paper mentions since Brachycephaly,has arisen from Generations of Highly Selective Breeding ,this Study suggests that the remarkable diversity in Domesticated Dogs' Shape and size appears to also have led to Human-induced Adaptations in the orginization of the Canine Brain.

Bet
Particular mention was given to the SM Problem in our Cavalier Breed in this Scientific Paper

Shape of cavaliers

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Could I mention this subject again,

Incase any-body is interested ,the Science Paper can be found at,

www.plosone.org/article/info:do%...al.pone.0011946

The Heading of the Paper is,

Human Induced Rotation and Reorganization of the Brain of Domestic Dogs.

The Paper mentions since Brachycephaly,has arisen from Generations of Highly Selective Breeding ,this Study suggests that the remarkable diversity in Domesticated Dogs' Shape and size appears to also have led to Human-induced Adaptations in the orginization of the Canine Brain.

Bet
Particular mention was given to the SM Problem in our Cavalier Breed in this Scientific Paper

SHAPE OF CAVALIERS

Just maybe I have been Vindicated after all in what I have been saying about some Cavaliers now having Long Backs.

A Prominant Cavalier Breeder has said that a Current Frightening Trend is the Tendency for some Cavaliers to be Long and Low.This completely spoils their out-line

Bet

Back