Thread: Some advice from all the cooking geniuses out there

Post Thanks / Like

Default Some advice from all the cooking geniuses out there

I need some advice from all the cooking geniuses out there.
    I have been looking for some natural food colouring that I can use on my dog treats for my cream cheese icing. I have come across 100 % Beetroot Powder and also 100 %Strawberry Powder. There is absolutely nothing else in that powder just Beetroot or Strawberry. My Question is beetroot save to eat for dogs. I know Strawberry would be ok; my dilemma is that the Strawberry is 3 times more expensive. I have never heard anything in regards of Beetroot or seen it on any list as unsafe for dogs. I would like to know other peoples opinion or knowledge of this.
    This is what it is
    100% Sweet Beetroot Powder

Beetroot is an excellent natural red colouring. It also adds that distinct beetroot sweetness to cooking. Contains no artificial ingredients or preservatives
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, beetroot should be fine, I've not seen it in any lists of foods that are bad for dogs. This website even suggests that it has some health benefits!
    Beetroot and carrot made up as a soup can be given daily as part of the dog's diet as beetroot is recognised as a beneficial food for the liver
    (http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...ives/27?p=3008)
    Owned by Kizzy - ex-breeding blenheim CKCS (cross?!), Zara -mini schnauzer, Ozzy - golden retriever and Bella - ex-breeding Westie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kizzys Mum View Post
    As far as I know, beetroot should be fine, I've not seen it in any lists of foods that are bad for dogs. This website even suggests that it has some health benefits! (http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...es/27?p=3008-)
    Thank you very much. The website looks good.
    Sabby
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My understanding was not to give too much beetroot but I suspect that the amounts you would use for an icing would be very small and therefore unlikely to cause problems.

I have never seen it on any lists of forbidden foods.

Just found this - beetroot chips for dogs!! {German site}

http://www.olewo.de/selectyourlangua...rootchips.html

beetroot is recognised as a beneficial food for the liver. It appears to assist dogs with liver problems due to copper toxicosis {a condition particularly affecting Bedlington Terriers}

So looks like it would be fine to use...
    Last edited by Nicki; 24th July 2010 at 03:25 PM.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    My understanding was not to give too much beetroot but I suspect that the amounts you would use for an icing would be very small and therefore unlikely to cause problems.

I have never seen it on any lists of forbidden foods.

Just found this - beetroot chips for dogs!! {German site}

http://www.olewo.de/selectyourlangua...rootchips.html

beetroot is recognised as a beneficial food for the liver. It appears to assist dogs with liver problems due to copper toxicosis {a condition particularly affecting Bedlington Terriers}

So looks like it would be fine to use...

Thanks Nicki

The amount I use would be very small.
    Sabby