Thread: Sedation with grade 4 murmur?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sedation with grade 4 murmur?

Had George and Chrissie at the vet last week and he said both need to get there teeth cleaned and George needs two extractions. He's a new vet and is aware of George's murmur but he seemed to think it was perfectly fine for him to be sedated and was quite blase about any risks. I'm a bit concerned about it. Can anyone advise me?? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

A while back I had a badly neglected and abused foster cavalier who needed to be neutered and treated for an eye ulcer.He was impossible to handle and would attack the vet when he tried to approach him.
    Anyway he had a grade 4 murmur,and firstly he was sedated using an oral sedative gel tossed to him in in a tiny piece of ham to calm him,then he had an injected sedative followed by full anaesthesia.There was no other way to do it,but he came through the lot in fine shape.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Given that poor gum and teeth health can further contribute to heart deterioration, getting this care is probably more important than leaving it. The issue also isn;t so much the murmur but where George stands in terms of congestive heart failure. A lot of grade 4 dogs are pretty active and have few to no symptoms.

If you are concerned however I would get a second opinion, perhaps from your regular vet, and also ask if they will do a blood panel to prescreen for anesthesia risk.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Karlin he's showing no symptoms so far (touch wood). Our last vet said he would only refer him to a cardiologist when he started to show symptoms. He's active, happy, no coughing, nothing that we can see. I've spoken to another vet who wants to see him to check him out. Is it true that cavs are prone to dental problems?

Post Thanks / Like

Misha has a grade 0-4 (cardiologist can't always hear it) murmur. He has a dental done every year and comes through well. I always have the cardiologist clear him before the dental.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MishathePooh View Post
    Misha has a grade 0-4 (cardiologist can't always hear it) murmur. He has a dental done every year and comes through well. I always have the cardiologist clear him before the dental.
    Hi there,

Just from experience, although every dog is different....

My little Charlie has a grade 5/6 murmor and Mitral Valve displasia. He has had 3 anaesthetics since Ive had him, 1 for an ECG and Xray, one for an MRI and the last for his Castration and 2nd ECG.

I too have been terified each time but he has bounced back so so well- much quicker than my other dog Ruby who isnt right for a good couple of days after sedation.

Have the blood work done before if you are worried and im sure they will be fine.
    Like Karlin said, teeth problems can make heart problems worse so it is best really to get it dealt with.

Good luck

Karen

Ruby - my stunning soul mate who defies the odds every day
    Charlie- my angel at heart and devil at play

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just had my 10 year old girl with a grade 4 murmur under for a dental on Monday. As Karlin said and my vet agreed, the gum and tooth disease can be much worse for the dog than the anesthesia. I was nervous as could be but when he really opened her mouth and was showing me the areas, I realized it had to be done. She is a rescue and clearly had no oral hygiene before I got her and he could literally move her teeth back and forth with just his finger, that is how bad a shape they were in.

I did ask for a day when his surgery load was light so he could devote a lot of time making sure she was okay. She was well monitored and he called me on speaker phone from the OR to reassure me all was going well. She did great, lost a few teeth but her teeth are in much better shape and I can now clean them regularly so they don't ever get that bad again.