• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rupert's Fund crosses the £5,000 mark

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Another major milestone! Rupert's Fund is now just over £5,175 -- that's more than $8,000, or €6,200!! :wggle:

Once again thanks so much to the many, many people, breeders and pet owners, who have given to this fund. It is making a major difference for the results and detailed information that can be produced by the genome scan project as it moves into its final stages.

Thanks to so many donors, of small to large amounts, 18 dogs have been scanned that would almost certainly never have been scanned and included in this final phase otherwise. Another 7 are funded and researchers are just waiting for a scanning day to get the next group in.

Let's keep climbing towards £10,000!! :rah:

Rupert's Fund crosses the £5,000 Mark

Another major milestone! Rupert's Fund is now just over £5,175 -- that's more than $8,000, or €6,200!! :wggle:

Once again thanks so much to the many, many people, breeders and pet owners, who have given to this fund. It is making a major difference for the results and detailed information that can be produced by the genome scan project as it moves into its final stages.

Thanks to so many donors, of small to large amounts, 18 dogs have been scanned that would almost certainly never have been scanned and included in this final phase otherwise. Another 7 are funded and researchers are just waiting for a scanning day to get the next group in.

Let's keep climbing towards £10,000!! :rah:

Karlin,

This is wonderful news

I have just read the Link you put on another Site, but I am a wee bit lost ,could you maybe ,if you've a spare minute explain it more to us .

Bet

It's too technical for me too -- but have had the researchers explain that they've narrowed the search for the responsible genes to a defined area, and also seem to have found an area of a gene that actually provides protection against developing SM in dogs that have CM. It seems to be only in cavaliers that do NOT have SM.

As another scientist has explained, if this turns out to be the case then the genome work will have been more successful than was even initially imagined as it would provide the possibility of breeding carefully to select for actual protection against SM, not just to reduce the severity of it. Unfortunately though the gene seems very rare so that introduces the need to greatly widen the gene pool in the search for such dogs, possibly bringing in dogs that are not the typical or usual show lines.

Rupert's Fund crosses the £5,000 Mark

It's too technical for me too -- but have had the researchers explain that they've narrowed the search for the responsible genes to a defined area, and also seem to have found an area of a gene that actually provides protection against developing SM in dogs that have CM. It seems to be only in cavaliers that do NOT have SM.

As another scientist has explained, if this turns out to be the case then the genome work will have been more successful than was even initially imagined as it would provide the possibility of breeding carefully to select for actual protection against SM, not just to reduce the severity of it. Unfortunately though the gene seems very rare so that introduces the need to greatly widen the gene pool in the search for such dogs, possibly bringing in dogs that are not the typical or usual show lines.

RUPERT'S FUND CROSSES THE £5,000 Mark

Karlin ,

Thanks for the Information.

Now I am thinking as I am Posting,could it be possible that the Older Cavaliers MRI Scanned as a result of the Funds collected for Rupert's Fund, have had quite a big hand in helping the Researchers to discover this Result.

The more you read about the Researchers discovery, the more exciting it is.

So does this mean ,that this Gene which seems to have been found in an Area in Dogs which provides Protection against developing SM in Dogs that have CM ,and will this Type of Gene which is Rare, not be found so often in Dogs from the usual Show Lines.

I probably am putting Two and Two To-gether and making 5!!!, but you will see where my mind is going.

So if those Cavaliers that are not Typical or from Usual Show Lines, have this Rare Gene, what a Giant Step forward this could be.

Bet

Back