• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whoops! I did it again

Quinny74

Yes, another Cav will be joining our brood today. I thought I would stop at 8 but I'm adopting an 8 month old Blenheim boy off a couple who don't seem the nicest people in the world.
The want to "get rid as soon as possible" as they don't have time for him, his legs are too long and he doesn't look "Cavaliery" enough for them.
The wife and I thought long and hard about it but at least with us he will be loved for who he is and not judged on how he looks. He's only 8 months FFS he hasn't even finished growing or filling out!! Some people make me sick.

I will keep you all updated

HI

And well done to you two ,so your seven becomes eight ,I don't think I will get beyond my four .Good Luck and congratulations.:)

Thanks for the kind words Brian. Actually he makes it number 9 as I haven't updated my signature since we adopted our Charlie a couple of months ago:)

OMG well you are very brave!! You certainly have a full house there :D

I had 7 for a few months - fostering a couple in addtion to our own brood...it was hard work but they are all so lovely and such individual personalities.

I hope this wee man settles in well - it may just be that his coat hasn't come in yet which can make them look a bit leggy - or often they have been neutered early and this can cause them to get tall as the sex hormones are linked with the growth hormones.

What a shame that his looks are more important to them than his personality though :yikes:(:( Surely if you've had a god since puppyhood you would be in love with him for who he is...

People make me angry.
My Harley is so much taller then any Cavalier I have seen, someone even ask me if he is a Cavalier when he was a pup. But you should see him fly at agility and flyball.
Like Nicki said you are brave but well done. Hope he brings you much joy. Has he got a name? And lots of photos please.

Well done on taking another dog, such a shame that the owners thought more on his looks than the actual dog, some people are just unbelievable :(
I'm still trying to imagine a house with 8 cavaliers in it though, it must make life interesting :)
Can't wait to see photo's of them all.

Good on you Quin for taking on this little un.It's such a shame how some others think at times.

Another one here awaiting pics :)

Congrats

x

It is good that you have gotten him out of an unpleasant situation.

But to be honest: maybe he would be better placed now through a helpful and responsible rescue?

The world is full of thousands of dogs that need homes, but going into a home with many other dogs is not always a great solution or an improvement for the dog-- and honestly, usually is NOT -- especially in a situation where, as you say yourself, you both needed to think 'long and hard', which suggests that in your hearts, you already know this is a questionable solution for this particular dog and for all your others, who now must adjust and lose some more of your attention. Nine dogs means even if you allocate the entire working day to the dogs no given dog will get more than a few minutes every hour. Adding another dog into a huge gang can be quite stressful for all involved whether expressed or noticed on the surface or not -- people and especially, the dogs, who now must reposition every one of the other eight relationships -- and also who now get a much smaller fraction of individual attention that every dog needs daily :(. I think any time an addition requires a hard think, it is really a sign that maybe if all are really honest there would be an acknowledgement that a newcomer would be much happier as a single dog or in with another companion or two in a different home -- and really shouldn't be squeezed in because it was primarily felt the original home wasn't suitable. For many dogs, they will actually have had a better quality of life as a single dog in a home that didn't do a lot with them, than they would as just one amongst a massive pack where they just follow all the other dogs around most of the time and get just as little and very likely even less real, quality one on one daily interaction with their new situation. But think how loved and cared for such a dog would be in a new home that really wants its first dog or a companion for another dog. :)

I know you have added a number of new dogs now in relatively short order, so it might be a good moment to take time to honestly consider the impact for the dogs. :flwr: And also the financial impact if, as is likely with such a large group , you are (increasingly) faced with SM and MVD. MVD is a guarantee, SM is very likely to become symptomatic in at least one (given that I have three with SM symptoms in a group of 5, and 2 of 5 with advanced murmurs). Medications and vet visits quickly become very costly.

You would have no problems getting help to place this new one. (y) There are huge waiting lists via rescues and breed rescue in the UK. It might be worth thinking this through carefully on whether the best quality of life for this newcomer or your existing dogs is gained by having a ninth be one of a huge pack, or perhaps instead giving that dog a chance to be a much loved solo dog in another family where it would get 100% focus, and where you can rightfully feel you have done great work by helping a cavalier find a great new life. Rescue doesn't -- and I think shouldn't -- be seen to require taking in dog after dog into one's own home (and this truly can become damaging to the existing dogs and no benefit to the later arrivals). The generosity of spirit of rescue often comes in helping a needy dog move on to find a special place where it can be cherished alone or with a pal or two. :) There is no shortage of homes for needy cavaliers.

We have found a forever home for the little fellow. My in laws have always had cavs, they are both retired and have been looking for another cav for a few months. They came to see him and have fallen for him. He will be joining them in the morning and he couldn't be going to a better home. Really pleased and I can still see him on a regular basis.

All's well that ends well :)

Last edited:
Couldn't be happier. The in laws already have a 2 year old tri bitch called Milly who they adore. They have always had Cavs in pairs and as Milly is definitely my father in law's dog I think the mother in law was getting a bit jealous! :badgrin:
They had been looking for a while as they wanted to rehome an adolescent dog as they had with Milly rather than getting a puppy. Milly was quite a poorly dog when they got her as she was itching her face so much she would make it bleed. She cost them almost £1000 in vets bills before the vets discovered that she had thrush and allergies. The vets prescribed a daily Piriton and now she is as right as rain.
Milly loves coming over ours to play with our tribe but she's doesn't play when she is at home. She is a different dog when she comes over to our house. They are hoping that as Louie (his new name) is a bit younger and playful she will join in the fun with him as she does with ours.
I'll see if I can upload some picture of Louie and Milly together.

Back