Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: for all you multi cavi households x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shell,
    That was certainly an interesting experience! How did you find that breeder if you don't mind me asking?
    Firstly,the reason I got a second cavalier was that instinctively I felt it was the right time.I'd had a few fostered rescues so knew two would be perfectly manageable.I knew it would be extra work,but I've not regretted it for a second.
    Sometimes you can waste your time looking for a puppy and not knowing where to turn to get one from a reputable breeder.
    I think take your time and wait until the right pup comes along.
    There are a number of avenues you can follow to find a pup.
    If you go to the cavalier club website,you'll find a list of regional cavalier clubs,each one of those has a puppy register coordinator.If you speak to any of those and explain what you want,they'll do their best to put you in touch with a breeder who prioritises health.There are breeders out there who are currently planning litters from health tested parents/grandparents, or who may have litters.
    If you haven't spoken to Margaret C,then do! The advice on how to interpret health certs is invaluable.
    I hope you find the perfect companion for Bentley very soon,
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I should add that I'm not surprised at Bentley's reaction.It can be very stressful for a cavalier to be surrounded by strange dogs in a new environment.Don't let that put you off getting a companion for him.Once you gently introduce a new pup under controlled circumstances in your own home,it will be different.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Shell, I have recently joined the multi dog household five weeks ago, now having a l2 week old pup joining a l0 year old and know how difficult decision for you it will be. I second all that Sins has said, I did a lot of research as the cavalier scene is very different from when I got my dog l0 yrs ago and I know so much more now than all those years ago. I got in touch with a cavalier club regional puppy coordinator and also spoke to Margaret C and she was brilliant and gave me lots of advice. One thing that the breeder told me was not to bring my older dog with us as I said about bringing him to see the puppy - but she gave us advice on how to deal with the situation if we took the puppy home, I thought this a bit strange but Margaret gave me some advice on this. Hope it all works out well for you, our little Ollie has worked out well for us, it takes time, and we are still getting there as far as Jasper is concerned, it`s the bouncy and ear biting Jasper finds hard.
    Pam

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

sins, i found the breeder through a friend who mentioned that her family knew someone that breeds them (thats what makes this worse for me i think)

if im completely honest and now that i have calmed down, what else should i have expected? i didnt do any research on this woman and what did i expect to find?? no one can be that lucky, especially with how the cavi situation has got with so many 'breeders'!

ive got in contact with bentleys breeder (bentley came from our local pet shop, the owner i have known my whole life since i was little. when i got bentley he gave me all the breeders details and phone number incase i wanted a dog from her in the future and i could go direct to her. i was impressed with that )any way, i am now on a waiting list as she only has 2 litters a year and isn't breeding again till next year, once a pup is available for me she has said i can come and see where bentley grew up (it's going to be one of bentleys sister's pup!!!!)

any way, this is what i should have done in the 1st place, this has just shown me that rushing this process will only turn out badly!!!

x
    owned by bentley (tri) 'he makes me smile every day, even on those days when nothing else can'
    sullivan (lab) 'you have left a huge paw print on my heart and the pain is just a reminder that i loved and love you always'

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shell,
    Y'know, I'd have to advise being wary of buying a puppy from a breeder who has previously sold pups to a pet shop.
    Will the pups even be KC registered,because the Kennel Club Code of ethics states that members "Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers"..
    The Cavalier Club code of best practice also states that members should "Not sell stock to a third party or a pet shop or puppy dealer "...
    No matter how nice they seem or how pleased you were with Bentley,or how few litters they breed ..unless the stock that they are currently breeding from are KC registered and health tested for MVD and SM,then you are taking a leap into the unknown.
    There are also many other issues that can crop up in cavaliers that occur more frequently in pups who are bred from backyard enterprises.
    Don't just wait for this person to breed their next litter,please make contact with those who can point you towards reputable breeders .When you talk to any reputable breeder,you'll quickly see the difference between them and a BYB.
    A cavalier is a big investment,both emotionally and financially,you owe it to yourself and Bentley to get the best value for your money.
    Have you considered the possibility of a rescue cavalier?

Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

hi sins
    thank you for all your advice, bentley isn't kennel club registered but his parents, grandparents, and great grandparents are. however she never registers her litters. now i have my own views about the kc that i am not going to go into, they are my own, but thank you so much about all your advice.

ive had a few days thought, and have been home ill so spent lots and lots of time with my little man and to be honest im back on the fence about getting hima friend. im goin to see when the time is right etc, calm down from the initial 'oooo i want a puppy' and think with my head and a little with my heart lol
    owned by bentley (tri) 'he makes me smile every day, even on those days when nothing else can'
    sullivan (lab) 'you have left a huge paw print on my heart and the pain is just a reminder that i loved and love you always'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    thought i would thow my tuppence!

We had Cava about 6 months and i decided i wanted a pal for her. We went back to our breeder and he had a litter that was ready to go in a few weeks. So i waited till they were ready to go before going to see the, and i did all my thinking in this time about costs, training, extra work etc etc.

The day we went to see the pups we brought Cava with us, there were 6 pups ( 3 were already booked ) so we only had 3 to chose from. We got to see them running around and interact with their mother. One pup kept approaching Cava, sniffing her and licking her face. That was our minds made up and we took Spud home, he picked us really.

Cava was very excited to see the other pups and just wanted to play with them, Im so sad your dog got upset when he was introduced to the dogs maybe it was ,as you said there were so many of them and he just got frightened.

Spud & Cava initally were wary of each other ( for like 2 days ) but when cava got into bed beside him i knew that was it. They are inseperable and cry when they cant even SEE the other one!

Yes there is extra work with cleaning them, costs etc but to be honest nothing compares to Cava having her little pal to snuggle up with and play with. The only person thats left out sometimes is me!

Best of luck with your search and you will find the right companion for Bentley.
    Clare
    owned by Cava a Tri Color, age 1 & Spud a Blenheim, age 8 months

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I decided to get another Cav mainly because after getting Sparky I am completly head over heels with the breed but also because Cassie, My JRT, will be 13 soon & I wanted to get a friend for Sparky so that he would have someone to play with now so Cass could have her quiet time without being disturbed & also when the enevetable happens Sparky wont be left on his own as he's such a baby! I had been thinking about getting another for about 6 months & then Lucy was brought into work to be found a new home & that was that!! I was half looking for a tri-colour or a blk & tan male but ended up with a mental female blen who fit into our household perfectly!

Sparky & Lucy are now the very best of friends & Cassie loves them both & loves her undisturbed quiet time! It worked out perfectly & we couldnt be happier with our 3!
    Sonia
    Cass (F - JRT - 25/11/97) Sparky (M - Blen - 11/01/08.) & Lucy (F - Blen - 12/11/09-ish!)
    Leo waiting at the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

We originally wanted two puppies and then after researching decided on a pup, we would then wait till he was a year and get a 2nd pup. When we enquired around Breeders and found one we liked, she offered us another solution.

She had a 12 month old boy who had been intended for showing but had not taken to it, he had had one failed placing and was shy, timid, jumped at his own shadow and was yearning to bond with someone but the breeder knowing he was going to be sold as a pet had not wanted to bond to him only to give him away. We went and met him and he seemed to take to us right away... rather shy and timid but he allowed us to hold him.

We decided to take him and we also got a puppy from them 10 weeks later. This was January and March this year, so we now have D'Artagnan our shy, timid, cuddly, shadow-fearful older boy and Porthos our brave, outgoing, dominant, 7 month old.

I wanted two because we both work full time and all the breeders and people we spoke to recommended two so that they would play and have another companian whilst we worked. Two are hard work....but so worth it
    ~*~*~*Susan*~*~*~

D'Artagnan 08/12/08 Porthos 28/12/09