• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When To Start Walking?

Hullo all! Here posting questions again. :eek:

I now have my pup, his name is August and he is 13 weeks old (14 weeks on thursday) and he is a very sweet-natured little guy who has yet to really understand things like 'playing.' He is tired most of the time, but still very bright-eyed.

My question is, when should you start walking a Cavalier? I honestly have no clue, and at the moment he definitely seems way too small. (He also has a habit of trying to avoid walking, and will drag his back legs if it's a short distance (they seem fine though), which we've been nipping in the bud.)

At present it has just been a case of taking him outside regularly (only got him yesterday so he has yet to go to the toilet outside, only went during the night), where he will just sit on the grass and look puzzled.

I'm wondering what sort of age he'll start to be more active so that I can start taking him on short walks, slowly building them up?

(Also, present feeding him 20-30g of dry food, three times a day - making it less if he doesn't want to eat it all. Does this sound okay?)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Here he is! (He seems rather long-muzzled to me, but his parents were lovely.)

August005.jpg

August003.jpg

you can start to walk you're puppy 2 weeks after his last vacc is given, short walks obv getting him used to the lead gradually. he does sound the opposit to my bella who is constantly on the go ! she toilets outside now and shes 10 weeks old (11wks on thursday) you're pup does seem long muzzeled to me aswell, is he pure cavy ?

Good news - we have boosted his confidence! Ended up carrying him down the road to a big grassy area, but then managed to get him to walk all around the grass on his harness and lead (which he seems to have no issue with), and he also went to the toilet (only a number 2, but hurrah!). He also was wonderful walking back on the lead to the house, so I'm super happy.

I was suspicious about him being pure cavy too, however the person we got him from assured me that he is, and we met the parents (black and tan Mother, blenheim Father) who both seemed great examples of the breed. (Had proof of Mother's pedigree but lost the Father's in the recent move they had.)
The potential of the Mother getting out and being impregnated by another dog has certainly crossed my mind, so all I can really do is just wait and see.

Good news - we have boosted his confidence! Ended up carrying him down the road to a big grassy area, but then managed to get him to walk all around the grass on his harness and lead (which he seems to have no issue with), and he also went to the toilet (only a number 2, but hurrah!). He also was wonderful walking back on the lead to the house, so I'm super happy.

I was suspicious about him being pure cavy too, however the person we got him from assured me that he is, and we met the parents (black and tan Mother, blenheim Father) who both seemed great examples of the breed. (Had proof of Mother's pedigree but lost the Father's in the recent move they had.)
The potential of the Mother getting out and being impregnated by another dog has certainly crossed my mind, so all I can really do is just wait and see.

Hello Nathan,

I was a little concerned about your first post on this thread, as I wondered whether you were expecting a little too much, too soon, from a baby that had his whole world turned up side down.

Also a little worried about the mention of him being tired all the time ( although puppies do need a lot of sleep ) and about his unwillingness to walk, although from what you say it may have been lack of confidence rather then a physical problem?

Has August had all his vaccinations? If not he is at risk if you are taking him on grass that is used by other dogs.

I wonder how much information you were given by his breeder? They should have given you details of worming and vaccination. They should have shown you the parent's health certificates and any vet check he had been given. They should have given you a diet sheet showng what they were feeding him on and how much he needed each meal.

If he is KC registered they should have given you his registration papers.

He is a handsome little lad, with lovely dark eyes, but he does look a little long nosed. It is possible this may improve a little as his head matures.
From your photos I do wonder if his jaw may be overshot, which would mean that there is a definite gap between his top set of teeth and the bottom set? This would explain the slight ski slope look of his muzzle..

Back