• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lola keeps sneezing

goodie2su

Hi

Just want to get some opinions please. We just got back from a weeks holidays and Lola was in a boarding kennels, collected her yesterday and she hasn't stop sneezing. Its like she has a stuffy nose and this morning when she is sneezing she has nasal discharge. It is quite rare for her to do the reverse sneezing thing but she has done it half a dozen times since yesterday. :(

I'm am so worried about her. I think tomorrow will never come so I can bring her to the vet and get her checked. Any suggestions?

Su

Hi

Just want to get some opinions please. We just got back from a weeks holidays and Lola was in a boarding kennels, collected her yesterday and she hasn't stop sneezing. Its like she has a stuffy nose and this morning when she is sneezing she has nasal discharge. It is quite rare for her to do the reverse sneezing thing but she has done it half a dozen times since yesterday. :(

I'm am so worried about her. I think tomorrow will never come so I can bring her to the vet and get her checked. Any suggestions?

Su

There has to be the possibility of kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection. Kennel cough is usually more of a nuisance in otherwise healthy dogs than a serious illness. It is often a case of just waiting for it to clear and giving human cough mixture to relieve the cough

If it is Kennel Cough it is contagious to other dogs.

When you book your vet appointment it would be best to tell the receptionist that Lola has recently been in Kennels and is now sneezing.
They may want you to leave her in the car when you arrive for your appointment, rather than bring her into their reception area.

The other possibility could be something like a grass seed is lodged in one of her nostrils.

Last edited:
Thanks Margaret C for your reply. I will definitely ring ahead. Can she get kennel cough even though she has been vacinated against it?

I have no experience here so I thought maybe it was a dust allergy due to concrete kennels or something like that as last time she was there for a couple of nights she was suffelly (?) when she came home but this is much worse and was there for longer (7 nights). I'm probably just trying to humanise her symptoms as she is a little person to us :rolleyes: I don't even know if dogs can get dust allergys :eek:

Our last boxer (a rescue who didn't work out :( ) had a "snotty nose" when we brought him home that was leftover from a bout with kennel cough. Here's some info about the vaccine and kennel cough that might explain things if she did catch it. I hope she's feeling better soon!

"
As to the type of vaccine, there are some that only have Bordetella bronchiseptica and others that also contain Parainfluenza and Adenovirus which are also involved in causing the infection. The last two may also be given as a part of a routine 5-way vaccine. The duration of immunity of the Bordetella or Bordetella combination vaccines varies from six months to one year. Each boarding facility and veterinarian will determine the how often to give the vaccine based on their requirements and what is best for your pet.

Read more at Suite101: Kennel Cough Vaccine and Boarding: Guidelines for When, How Often and What Type of Vaccine to Give http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/kennel_cough_vaccine_and_boarding#ixzz0vULeDxcX

Furrfoot thanks for the information its very interesting.

Back from vet with Lola and my poor mite has an upper respiratory infection which is slightly on one lung. She has started antibiotics today so please God will be on the mend. Poor baby is feeling very sorry for herself today so is getting even more loves if that is at all possible.

Our 2 have both had the sneezes and runny noses and eyes. Our pup then developed a cough and wheeze. He was diagnosed tonight with Kennel cough and our older boy most likely has it too :( Our little one didn't eat dinner and threw up twice. Poor little lamb!

I understand it sounds worse than it is, so I am just hoping they get through it with minimal discomfort.

Hope your little one feels better soon.

Back