• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy ETA: Six Weeks And Counting! Name Advice??

hazelpseudoblue

UPDATE!: Puppy ETA: Six Weeks And Counting! Name Advice??

Hey all! If anyone's going to see this, then great- but, even if they don't- I'm delighted to say that my darling Blenheim baby girl will be coming him in exactly 10 days!!

I cannot wait for my little Lucy to join my family!!!!

Thanks everyone!

Hey Everyone!

Going to be be bringing home my very own Blenheim baby girl in six weeks, and so excited!! (I did everything to ensure that the breeder's practices are great, the parents are health cleared/ certified/ registered, etc. Plus, met pups from previous litters, contacted people who own puppies they got from the breeder, etc..so this isn't about that!!)

I'm trying to think of a name-- I want to credit her Mommy, because she is such a wonderful dog and I know this may sound strange, but I want to pay homage to her :). The Mom's name is Angel. I'm thinking of possibly showing my pup- nothing too serious, and it's fine if it doesn't work out- but I was thinking of looking into therapy dog possibilities for her..The point is, I need a name! A 'proper' name, and a nickname that I can use on an every day basis..

Here's what I have so far:

-Angel's Kate the Great (I was thinking Kate for short)
-Ashley's Joyous Angel (Joy for short but I'm not sold on it [Ashley's my first name])
-Elphaba's Alice of Tinkerland (Tink or Elphie..More sold on Tink..)

I also wanted to incorporate Catherine--hence the Kate- for Catherine of Aragon--wife of Henry VIII? Because she was a strong, intelligent, amazing woman- truly magnificent!

Overall the nickname should be short- people keep telling me to keep it one syllable for calling her, but I think that as long as it's easy to say, two is fine..Thoughts?

Oh, and I also was thinking Lucy, but didn't know if it mattered whether I put it into her 'registered' name (if so, how to do that!).

If you guys happen to have any thoughts or suggestions, I'd really, really appreciate it, since the breeder wants to know what to call her, so she'll grow up knowing her name :).

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new member of your family! Are you wanting a 'proper' name because you want to register with the AKC? In which case, does the breeder have her own kennel name, as she might want you to include that? What about Spanish Catherine - Catherine for C of Aragon, and spaniels originally came from Spain. And Katie/Katy will be easier to call than Kate (which in practice you will turn into two syllables anyway when calling Ka-ate in the park!).

The proper name and everyday name don't need to have any connection - my Oliver is Moonvale Apache by Shenlyn! Called Oliver by his breeder, as I got him at a year old.

Kate, Oliver (NEVER Ollie!) and Aled

I've always heard that dogs respond best to two syllable names - I don't know if this is really true though.

Funny the Catherine of Aragon connection. I always fancied Isabella and Ferdinand [her parents] - Bella & Ferdi :)
Don't really think you can plan a name in advance, anytime I've taken a new dog I've just looked at them and "known" their name [obviously not when they're a wee rat puppy :lol:].

Don't really think you can plan a name in advance, anytime I've taken a new dog I've just looked at them and "known" their name [obviously not when they're a wee rat puppy :lol:].[/QUOTE]

TOTALLY agree with this!
I wanted to call our Bleheim Charles but as soon as we got him, my BF looked at him adn said - doesnt he look like a big spud! ( he was quite a little fat little pup! ) And thats how he ended up being called Spud!:l*v:

Kate the Great! :-D

Funny the Catherine of Aragon connection. I always fancied Isabella and Ferdinand [her parents] - Bella & Ferdi :)
Don't really think you can plan a name in advance, anytime I've taken a new dog I've just looked at them and "known" their name [obviously not when they're a wee rat puppy :lol:].

I love that someone got that reference! (noone around me ever does :confused:) I love Catherine a bit more that Isabella, but Isabella was one amazing woman.

I know what you mean about looking at the pup and 'knowing' his/her name--it was like that with the family dog, Sky (who went to the dog park in the sky :( Bone cancer)- I went up with my parents, and she was the most wonderful little girl (a labradoodle). I named her about 5 minutes into the car ride home (y). So I get what you mean!

I thought Kate because the puppy, even when she was ITTY BITTY, and hadn't opened her eyes and seen the world, fell asleep on me, and started dreaming! I thought about Catherine of Aragon because she was born with ambition and drive, but with a calm serenity and dignity. She was charming and intelligent- and she had many dreams of the future for 'her' kingdom. :D

But I'm going to keep it open..The problem is, the breeders will call her SOMEthing..So I just am not sure what to do...

Update from hazelpseudoblue

Hey Everyone!!! :D:D

I wanted to thank you all for your responses- I had really thought, tentatively, about whether or not her 'everyday' name should coincide with her registered one. Now, my thoughts are eased :eek:, because you guys confirmed that they didn't have to have anything to do with each other. Now I know, at very least, what her name will be! (Not her registered one, but her actual, everyday one).

I shall call her: Lucy!!!
And she shall be my Lucy. :wggle:

Now, onward to the challenge of picking out her registered name...:? I've got time...

Thanks again!!

P.S: All the names you guys have for your babes are awesome names :). I'm sure each name fits the Cav it's attached to to the T!

Back