• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jack

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
My friend and neighbour Helen's little ruby cavalier Jack passed away this evening after a short illness with MVD. I've known Helen and Jack ever since I got my first cavalier and Jack and Helen's other lovely dog Joy, a collie, were Jaspar's first dog friends. All of my dogs always brightened up whenever they saw Nellie coming up the street with Jack and Joy, and then just Jack, after Joy passed away. All the cavalier tails would be going in a big circle as they greeted one another! :)

He was a sweet and gentle little dog, though he enjoyed having a good bark at cars, cyclists, and cats! -- perhaps because he was deaf, he seemed to be able to spot a cat about three streets away. Jack was a therapy dog with PEATA in Ireland, just like Joy before him, and I would often see him heading off with Helen to the hospital in his little yellow PEATA therapy dog jacket, which enabled him to ride on public transport. He was a much loved visitor by patients, and he also appeared at the IKC annual dog show on St Patrick's Day with Helen as part of the PEATA parade.

I will miss seeing him as will my doglets and my thoughts are with Helen this evening, as this is a difficult loss. She sent me over some pictures so that I could post them with a memorial on the site. :)

4861074441_626ae9b43c.jpg

4861057831_83666f5a0b.jpg

Helen (in her PEATA shirt) with Jack!

4861074493_65db962e5e.jpg

Rest in Peace dear Jack. Your little light shined on so many people and helped them to feel better... that light will shine on in heaven now...

Last edited:
So sorry to hear about the passing of a beautiful cavalier. My condolences to you and Jack's owners. He was a lovely dog.
J.

Oh I'm so sorry Karlin - please tell Helen that our thoughts are with her. Jack was a very special dog, it's fantastic that she could share such a wonderful personality with others through his hospital visits.

He sounds quite a character too!

I'm sure Helen will miss him desperately - and hope that one day she will feel able to find room in her heart and her home for another lovely Cavalier.

Thanks for sharing his story and photos - how old was he, he looks to be a good age?

Helen regularly visits the site, so I know everyone's sympathies will be much appreciated. :flwr:

Jack was about 11, so a good age. Helen isn't exactly sure because she took him into her home as an adult but she knows his approximate age then -- so he would have been around 11 now.

I don't think a week went by when my crew didn't all run into Jack out on a walk and mine just saw him either yesterday morning or the day before, so I am glad they had a last recent visit with him :)

My deepest sympathies to Helen for her loss. Thanks for posting this, Karlin. Hopefully are thoughts can help Helen during this difficult time. When these dogs leave us, they certainly leave large holes in our lives. Holly is just 2, but has already carved an irreplaceable spot in our family.

lindylou

so sorry of your loss its heart breaking when they leave you but time is a great healer our cavies are so so precious

Such a beautiful face and obviously a real character. Jack must be sadly missed by so many. RIP special boy

It sounds like Jack had a wonderful life with a warm and caring family. Rest in peace, Jack :flwr: :hug:

Back