• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need some advice.

*Pauline*

I will be asking the vet but wondered what you all thought. Poppy needs to be spayed, ideally this month but I don't know when she will be MRIed as the referral has only recently been sent. I don't know if it's a bad idea to get two anaesthetics close together.

Thats a difficult one Pauline, But remember Dylan has not been "done";)

Is it a big risk if she goes in to heat again....just think of the consequences icon_whistling

:xctly:

I emailed Clare. Ultimately it's going to be up to her if two anaesthetics is bad for Poppy because she knows how long Poppy will be under etc.

I was told Dylan was under for 3 hours but I'm not sure if that included his recovery time.

I'd go ahead and book the spay.They recover fairly quickly...
As Dylan is not neutered,it's not a good idea to defer the spay in order to have the MRI.You may be looking at keeping apart 2 cavaliers who must never be allowed to breed..it's not worth the stress,having to delay the scan by a week or two won't matter.
Sins

All booked in for Wednesday. I asked who is the best and she said they are all good. But as I like the man we saw last time and the receptionist says he's the most experienced and quickest, I chose him.

£90 for the spay including pain meds, a buster collar, sensitive tummy dog food and two follow up appointments at 3 and 10 days after. I'm impressed.

Last edited:
My goodness,you work fast! Sometimes heat cycles can catch you by surprise so it's best to get the job done.The price is excellent and I hope she sails through it for you.
Sins

At least now you'll have this worry off your head when she goes in for her MRI. Both my girls recovered quickly and without incident from thier spays. I hope Poppy is the same.

Thanks Bev. I feel sick thinking about it. Don't know how she'll cope without Dylan. I always take them out together or just Poppy. She is never without Dylan or/and me but I tried it last night and left her with Ash and she cried the whole time.

Have you spoken to Clare about the fact that Dylan isn't neutered? I know a number of neurologists who have recommended that people neuter their male SM dogs (in particular) because they get far more worked up and excited when intact and this of course causes the CSF to circulate faster which is what contributes to the formation of syrinxes and pain. Unless there's a serious reason why he cannot be neutered, I would think it might help with pain for him to have a neuter done. Know three dogs off the top of my head who have had this strongly urged by their neurologist.

Have you spoken to Clare about the fact that Dylan isn't neutered? I know a number of neurologists who have recommended that people neuter their male SM dogs (in particular) because they get far more worked up and excited when intact and this of course causes the CSF to circulate faster which is what contributes to the formation of syrinxes and pain. Unless there's a serious reason why he cannot be neutered, I would think it might help with pain for him to have a neuter done. Know three dogs off the top of my head who have had this strongly urged by their neurologist.

I concur with Karlin's thoughts above!

Pat

I will be talking to Clare about it when I see her. The plan is Dylan will be referred the same day as Poppy.

Clare has asked for part of Poppy's ovary to be sent to her. It's all very interesting. She wants Rna (Ribonucleic acid) from it. Rna helps in the manufacture of proteins in the cell. It basically copies genes and transfers them. (credit to Sinead for that information)

The problem is Clare is back on Tuesday and the spay is booked Wednesday. This means not enough time for delivery of the pot to carry the ovary. The spay may be postponed a few days.

Poppy's spay is postponed to Monday week, that's the 16th. So we are all set. This gives Clare enough time to contact my vet about the ovary. I can stop worrying for now. :rolleyes:

Pauline As you know were away from tomorrow but we'll be thinking of you....hope all goes well:hug:

Aw thanks Mel. I hope the weather is good for you. Have a great time and take lots of pics of that beach. :flwr:

Lucy had two aneathetics in 20 days, 1st for her spay & 2nd for her patella op & my vet said that was no problem at all.

hope that helps!

Pauline

Just thought if Poppy is getting spayed I have a soft collar you are welcome to ,so if it might help pls advise and I shall pop it in the post.:)

Hi Pauline, Jessie was spayed about 3 weeks ago and to be honest you'd never know she'd been done. I was amazed at how quickly she got back to normal. She was very sleepy the evening when she came home, next day a little brighter and by the 3rd day back to her crazy self. She had no bucket hat and I bought some cheap baby grows (Asda £2) for her to ware but she wouldn't keep them on, but that's her. I'm sure she will be fine. I have to say the £95 is a bargan, I paid £169.

Back