• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Why has Iver started to snorting?

s1tm

Over the last few days Iver has started to snort when his asleep (not all the time) its like his finding ot hard to breath!!

Is this a common thing or is it something I should worry about? He is 2 years old... Tula my other cav is also 2 and she has never done this!!

Does Iver do it when he's also excited? Scarlett also does it.I think it's normal.I think it's to do with the short muzzle in Cavaliers.It's something called reverse sneezing.Scarlett can do it after such things like after walking when her throat is dry,during play,when sleeping.She sometimes will make this "warthog" sound as I call it when drinking,again I put it down to the face shape.And a beautiful one the Cavalier's is too :luv:

I don't know if sugestting to check out allergies in the mean time, just in case?

Thanks for the reply (y)

I would put it down to the short nose as Tula has a longer nose and she hasn't done it.. He is only doing it when his asleep!!

Looking at Scarlett is like looking at Iver :eek:

Thanks again. Summer.

It's pretty normal for the breed. Of my gang, only one never snores -- the other four do. If a dog begins to get overweight then their breathing gets more compromised and they often will start to snore more and more loudly. But as a dog matures that may also mean their final head shape means they snore as an adult when they didn't when younger. You can always raise it with your vet the next time you are in just to make sure there's not any other reasons but snoring is very common for cavaliers and other short or flat nosed breeds.

Thanks for the reply (y)

He is not snoring when his sleeping, he wakes up snorting like he can't breath through his nose it sound like a pig!!

I will be asking the vet when we go next or if it gets worse.. I'm thinking its to do with his short nose and maybe the way he his laying (silly little ives) lol

Summer. X

Oh I see what you mean. One of mine does this too -- also pretty common -- the 'cavalier snort', same cause as snoring.

It is worth making sure there isn't a seed or bit of grass up his nose next time you visit your vet (unless it really seems to be bothering him many times a day, in which case I'd go sooner), but you will probably find this is just mild side affect of them having a shorter nose. DSome are more affected than others; very rarely it does cause more serious problems but this is pretty unlikely and you'd see lots of other issues (y). Excitement (eg seeing you in the morning) could certainly trigger a snorting session!

Thanks again for the reply :D

I'm really liking this forum, everyone seems to be very kind and helpful... unlike some forums iv been on and you ask a question and everyone jumps down your neck :shock:

The Cavalier snort or reverse sneeze usually is attributed to the dog having an elongated soft palate. An elongated soft palate is too long for the length of the mouth, so that its tip protrudes into the front of the airway and may get sucked into the laryngeal opening where it may obstruct the normal passage of air into the trachea.

A lot of Cavaliers have elongated soft palates, and so a lot of them snort occasionally. However, it is not something that should be ignored as if it always is inconsequential, healthwise.

I recommend trying to help the dog get the tip of its palate out of the airway by forcing the dog to breathe through its mouth instead of its nose. This may be done by holding the dog's head down and mouth open with one hand while blocking air from entering the nose with the other hand. Some Cavaliers' palates are so elongated that surgery is required to prevent possible suffocation. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm#Elongated_Soft_Palate for additional details.

Hi, sorry I have not been on the forum for quite a while. Didn't realize how much I missed it.
My Barney started doing it today, he is 3yrs old. I will try the head down thing with him, next time he has the problem. Poor lad kept coming up to me to help him.
Hope Iver is ok.

Fudge does this with excitement when she first gets outside for her walk....she gets some strange looks from passers by:lol:

Molly does this only occassionally now, it was becoming a problem, sometimes we were unable to sleep because of the racket, she sounded like a pneumatic drill. I have got her weight right down now, this has made a huge difference, so this may be worth considering in addition to the advice above, if your cuddly cavaliers are carrying a few extra pounds.:p

Back