• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First Season

Teresa

Cassie was born on 19th January, making her nearly seven monts old. Am I right in thinking her first season will be at about eight months?

Having had only Barney before I'm unfamiliar with girl dogs cycles. I just wondered if I am right :)

Hi

Any time soon ,Poppy ,Daisy and Rosie all had theirs about 8-9 months and Lily had her second at 13 months .

Thanks Brian :)

I've nosed on the net a bit but it all seems a bit vague...:confused: Can you tell me the first signs to look for? Thanks...x

Tulas was at 8months ;)

I noticed she was licking that area more often then about 3 days later she started bleeding :shock:

Hope that helps?? :wggle:

A season lasts about three weeks, and particularly in the second and third weeks, bitches are VERY attractive to males! And they leave their scent everywhere. So the safest thing for the bitch - and the fairest thing for any unneutered males you might meet in the park (I have one, so say that with feeling!) - is simply to keep your girl at home during her season. Of course, let her out (supervised) into a secure back garden, but remember that a really randy male can become a mixture of Houdini and a mountaineer! Three weeks without exercise isn't going to turn her into a fatty, and if you have open, dogless countryside nearby where it is safe to exercise her, carry her from the house to the car so as not to leave any scent around the front garden. Thankfully these days there are far fewer stray dogs roaming the streets, but a mating can take literally seconds, and has been done through fences before now!

I'm assuming Barney is neutered - if not, you're going to have fun!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I've had to leave Susie, the rescue girl that came in with my Tansy, unspayed because her heart murmur is such a severe grade and two vets have tld me they are not sure she'd survive surgery, so it isn't a consideration. She lives with an elderly neighbour -- and during her last season a neighbourhood male dog stood outside his house for days, scratched most of the paint off the bottom of the door and howled so much someone called the police. :yikes A neighbour and I manage her for him but it is a headache for him (and his front door is destroyed... :( ). Just to echo what Kate says -- this can be very taxing on male dog and if Barney is intact, I'd get him neutered, or get her spayed (as the breed has a very high risk of pyometra in unspayed females -- around 40% lifetime chance of this potentially fatal and fast, typically symptom-less womb infection -- it is worth considering the health implications of leaving her unspayed).

Barney is neutered!
We had Daisy spayed just after her third birthday,her first season was at eight months and she was pretty predictable always.
Holly was at nine months,and just as we thought it was all over and done with...off she went again.So she had a split season!!that's about 40 days so far.
She's finally stopped bleeding just today.I'm told it's not that unusual and I chatted with the vet last Friday and he just shrugged his shoulders
"Split season? Yeah, happens a bit on first seasons".
It's tough because the poor pet hasn't had a proper walk or a snuggle on the bed for such a long time.
I'd keep your baby under house arrest for approx 23 days:D.
Sins

thanks everyone for your replies!! Yep Barney is neutered!! He finds girls "interesting" but not sure why lol

Hi Teresa, Just so you'll know (I didn't,so it came as quite a shock when it happened :eek:).... the fact that he's neutered wont necessarily stop him from being willing and able to mate with your little female. She just wont get pregnant.

Mika went into heat at only 6 months - right when she was supposed to get spayed, so she ended up having one season before she was finally spayed. It seems it really varies with each dog - I guess why what you've found has been vague.

Lady went into heat exactly 6 months to the day she was born....and 4 days before her spay was scheduled! Grrrr... so we're having to wait 6 weeks!

So Lady is bleeding again....is this a double heat?!

Has anyone ever experienced this before?? It hasn't been long enough to spay her since she first went into heat and she's very swollen again and bleeding just as much as last time...I'll call the vet tomorrow to inquire, but wondering if anyone has any info...

Yes, very likely a split season. Just chat with your vet anyway to put your mind at rest.
It's one of those things that you begin to wonder if it will ever end but I'm told some people choose to give antibiotics as a precaution if you have a split or prolonged season,this is where a good vet comes in.
I mentioned it to mine while I was down to him with another dog and he wasn't the slightest bit sympathetic and told me it was to be expected with first seasons.
I would treat her as being in season and keep all precautions in place for another three weeks.
Sins

Well the vet called back and said we can go ahead and move forward with the spay we have scheduled next Friday (10 days from today). I asked if it was more dangerous because I had been told this in the past and she said that since it's a small breed dog she doesn't have a problem doing it while she's in heat / split heat. That if it was a large breed she wouldn't do it. Has anyone ever had their Cavalier spayed while in heat??

By my working out Cassie is on day 17 now. We'll be glad to get back to normal and go to the woods!! Street walking is BORING!!

Barney has been showing some interest today so maybe she's passing into the next phase, it's been a bit of a learning curve all round really!

Overall not too bad though Cassie's been keeping herself fairly clean with a little help from me!!

Back