• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pee near the bowl

mounie

Hi everyone, my Nickey, 2 years old, housetrained and not neutered, recently has shown a strange behaviour: he peed a little near his bowl of food, after his meal, i could not blame him as i didn't realize it immediately. I had walked him just 10 minutes earlier , as usual, and he did his business as every time; no changes occurred, same food, same routine; he is the only dog in the house.
Does anyone experience this behaviour with dogs? Should i get worried?

Thanks in advance :)

Dylan, also house trained not neutered, started doing this when we got Poppy. We have to separate them anyway as Poppy eats her food very fast then takes Dylan's so I put his food outside. Not sure what we'll do in winter. Try lifting the bowl as soon as he finishes.

I have on occasions had problems on and off with my not neutered male Jasper, he has never peed by his bowl but I do remember he once peed on his plastic bed and has occasional sprinkles around the place and there has never been a reason, I like you said had taken him out just prior to this happening, I even went to the vet to get him checked out, don`t know what the reason has been, he has recently done it again, but we have a l4 week old puppy, so I feel that is why at the moment.
Pauline, I have the same problem as you over feeding, Ollie eats so fast and used to go straight to Jasper`s bowl and start eating his food, I bought a baby gate for the kitchen and one now gets feed in the kitchen and one in the hall.

This is marking -- it is what unneutered male dogs do. :lol: A female or any additional dog around will often make this more common. It is one of the main behavioural reasons people neuter male dogs (setting aside the other reasons). Even if they don't do this in their own home, they will tend to do it in every strange home they visit and need to be constantly watched if you want to keep your friends! :)

At the same time if a dog suddenly starts peeing unexpectedly indoors it is probably a good idea to get to a vet and check for a UTI.

A crate or baby gate resolves feeding issues -- generally you don't want dogs to feed nearby each other anyway; some sort of barrier is a better option.

Back