• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Insurance

Nicki

Dr Phil Zeltman recommended this site in his recent newsletters

http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/

Lots of helpful advice for all looking for pet insurance, and of course a huge help to those in the US!

A link to compare all of the different insurances http://www.pet-insurance-university.com/

There seems to be a problem in the US with companies excluding both congenital {present at birth} and inherited conditions, which is very limiting.

It is essential to have cover for inherited conditions {this would include Syringomyelia, Mitral Valve Disease, Hip Dysplasia and Luxating Patella, all common problems for Cavaliers}.

***You also need cover for the lifetime of the animal - many cheaper policies only cover you for 12 months from first diagnosis.***

In the UK, Virgin are one of the few companies who do not insist on annual vaccinations - instead they do not cover you for conditions you can vaccinate against {if you have not had vaccinations for your animal}.

You can basically choose the options you need, so if you just want a basic lifetime cover policy, you can obtain this - without the need for holiday cover etc.

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/pet-insurance/

Even if you do not have health insurance for your dog, at the very least you need third party insurance:

Pet owners can be legally responsible for the actions of their animals. If your pet were to injure someone or run across the road and cause an accident, as owner of that animal you could be liable to prosecution and claims for compensation.

Third party liability insurance basically protects you financially in the event that your pet harms another person or causes them injury, or if your animal were to damage or destroy someone else's property. Under the 1971 Animals Act this includes damage to vehicles too. Some third party liability options extend to insure pet owners in circumstances where the animal is responsible for the death of another person. If your pet's actions were to cause such an incident the claim for compensation could be substantial -- and if you do not have third party liability cover you might even have to sell your home in order to make the settlement!

New: Helpful guide to pet insurance http://www.yourdog.co.uk/Dog-Health-and-Care/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-pet-insurance.html

Last edited:
All the exclusions seem silly!! Thank god for Pet Plan that's all I can say!!

I would have to agree with you there Teresa, having recently been looking at additional insurance for little Ollie, I stuck with Pet Plan, have a slight discount because of two dogs, as least I know where I stand with them. There was one company that seemed quite good, but it was completely internet based, even the policy, nothing sent through the post, I personally was not sure about this, OH having had car insurance like this, would`nt do it again.

Pet Plan is awesome! They cover all the things most insurances do not (MVD, SM etc and even cover alternative therapies like accupunture). I just had a claim with them for $1100 (have a $100 deductible) and they sent me a check for $1,000 no problem(y)

Even if you do not have health insurance for your dog, at the very least you need third party insurance:

Pet owners can be legally responsible for the actions of their animals. If your pet were to injure someone or run across the road and cause an accident, as owner of that animal you could be liable to prosecution and claims for compensation.

Third party liability insurance basically protects you financially in the event that your pet harms another person or causes them injury, or if your animal were to damage or destroy someone else's property. Under the 1971 Animals Act this includes damage to vehicles too. Some third party liability options extend to insure pet owners in circumstances where the animal is responsible for the death of another person. If your pet's actions were to cause such an incident the claim for compensation could be substantial -- and if you do not have third party liability cover you might even have to sell your home in order to make the settlement!

In the UK membership of the Dog's Trust includes FREE third party insurance - up to £1,000,000 cover per claim if your dog causes damage or injury to another person, their property or pets.

I understand this covers you for up to 10 [pet] dogs so for those with multiple dogs it may be very beneficial.

It also includes unlimited access to Vetfone™, 24 hour emergency advice from qualified veterinary nurses 365 days of the year.

Standard membership is £25 per year but if you’re 60 years or over it costs just £12.50 per year.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/giving/membership/faq/default.aspx

Obviously you are also providing valuable support to an important rescue organisation ;)

The costs of insurance seem to be rising exponentially - then a letter yesterday from the insurance company advising us that the beloved Government has put up the insurance premium tax to 6% too :mad::mad:

I am hearing more and more stories of companies trying to avoid paying claims :mad::mad::mad:

One recently, a young Spaniel cut his paw when young requiring stitches - BROKE the same leg at the age of 4 and the company are REFUSING TO PAY OUT - saying it's a pre-exisitng condition!!! It's all gone to court now - so pleased the dog's guardian is fighting it, this is just crazy :mad: and sadly only one of many stories.

I have always had insurance, thought it was the sensible, responsible option - but it does make me seriously wonder that having paid all this money in premiums, if they do refuse a claim then we wouldn't actually have that in savings to pay for the treatment. My main reason for insurance was to never be in the situation that although there was treatment available, we could not afford to have it done...and would have to make decisions on that basis.

Obviously it is ESSENTIAL to have 3rd party insurance but I am wondering if we would be better to create a savings account for the dogs, and put away money each month. You would need to ensure that you did not touch that money - have to be strong willed!!

I have had so many problems with insurance companies over the years - one still owes me over £700 which I know I will never see...

What do others think?

Last edited:
Hi folks, new here and trying to get all my ducks in a row before actually finding and bringing home a new family member. When I fell in love with this breed I didn't realize how complicated they could be health wise. Well, I am too far taken now to turn back so want to make sure I do it all right.

My question here is insurance related. We are from the US living in the UK so of course will be bringing our new addition back with us in a few years. I am currently looking at Pet plan as it seems what most of you have and like. I do think they have Pet plan in the US as well but have no idea if we open a lifetime plan here will it carry over to the US when we go. I have emailed the question to them but they say they can take up to 5 days to answer.

Does anyone know what the best plan of action would be in our case? If I opened the policy on a yearly plan would that cause us problems later until we can get back to the states to open a lifetime plan?

Thanks!

Sorry I missed this earlier, TBH I have never come across this question, hoping you have had a reply from PetPlan and if so, perhaps you would be kind enough to share it?

I don't know what would happen with moving abroad - if you change companies they will not cover pre-existing conditions, so it might be worth getting something in writing if you are going to be moving abroad, as I don't know if they would consider it a new policy.

Nope, no answer as they called and didn't seem interested to talk once I said I haven't got the dog yet so wasn't ready to open the policy just yet. I figured I would still get an email answer to my emailed question but nothing. I will call them to ask instead as we bring our baby home today. I am now looking into some others though. It seems so confusing trying to figure the best way to go with making sure you have everything covered concidering inherited conditions, limiting vaccinations as I would like to do and the move concidered in a couple of years. I will let you know what I find out with this as soon as I do.

Back