• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Email from a Syringomyelia sufferer

wotton12000

I received the email below yesterday from a lady who suffers from Syringomyelia. Her name is Carla and she has given permission for me to post it.

I suffer from Syringo Myelia, a neurological disorder mentioned in the Pedigree Dogs Exposed documentary. As you know, this disease can have very serious consequences and should not be taken lightly; it is closely related to Hydrocephalus (which can cause severe mental disability and death in infants).

I have suffered from this disease for more than a decade, and I use the word 'suffered' intentionally. No person, dog or any other animal should have to suffer with a disease like this. I think it is ludicrous that dog breeders are knowingly permitted to breed their dogs and pass on congenital disorders like this. It is cruel and it is morally wrong!

Good for you, and all of the hard work from your team. I think it is wonderful that increased testing and information is out there for people to read. I found it especially interesting that it has been found to be inherited in cavaliers. The reasearch that I have read regarding humans does not make that same connection. It has always been a point of interest for me, as no one that we know of in my family has this condition. It is considered to be quite rare in humans, only 40 000 have been diagnosed in the US.

Thanks for exposing these issues. I've suffered from the disease first hand, I can not even begin to comprehend how breeders can dismiss a diagnosis like this and continue to breed their dogs. Maybe if they know the human side of it, they'll think twice.

-Survivor of Syringo Myelia and a Chiari Decompression surgery and owner of stunning Great Dane from a backyard breeder!
When we talk of breeding grade As to grade Ds, etc, we need to remember the risks we are taking with the lives of the offspring of such a mating.

Email from a Syringomyelia Sufferer.

EMAIL FROM A SYRINGOMYELIA SUFFERER

I do agree with this Post, in fact I really do think that it should be Copied and Distributed at the Blenheim Show.

If nothing else can Focus some Cavalier Breeders Minds to the Suffering of Cavaliers with this Horrible Disease, this EMail should surely convince them .

Between reading this Post , and the mention in Dr Dewey's Lecture about Screws being used in some of the SM Cavaliers' Operations, how can some Cavalier Breeders Dismiss this Insidious Disease so lightly ,and not be doing every-thing in their Power to help the SM Researchers.

I just can't get the Thought of the Screws being used out of my Mind.

Bet

I took out all formatting that won't work here, from your original post, Carol :). I think it is so useful as well as sobering to get the perspective of people who actually live with this condition–it is the only insight that we can get into what so many of the dogs with this condition try to live with day by day. I bet she is kept very busy with her rescue Dane! :lol:

Back