• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie - Health Update

Quinny74

As some of you may know I took my 10 year old tri Charlie to the vets recently as he has been vomiting, lethargic and not eating. The vet said it may be cancer but gave him antibiotics and said to see how he go on. Charlie did improve a bit and would eat a little chicken and pasta and seemed to be getting better but on Thursday last week he took a turn for the worse. We took him to the vets fearing the worst and that his kidney's were failing and saw a different vet who finally did a blood test and they found his white cell count was 47 (16 is the highest normal count).
What concerned us was when we were shown the results the paperwork had our name and address on but the dog was a Labrador called Bess. We queried this and were told it was a typo but the result were definately Charlie's.
The vet diagnosed a severe gastric infection and gave him a 2 week lasting antibiotic shot, an anti-inflammatory shot, antepsin, liquivite and Royal Canin prescription sensitive. We were told to give him 2.5ml of Antepsin 15 minutes before a meal and to syringe feed him the liquivite starting with 1/4 of a tin and working up in quantity. This started well but then his vomiting increased and he could hold no food down. We took him back to the vets on Saturday night and were told that it should be 2 hours before a meal (even the receptionist who gave me the prescription queried the 15 minutes), twice a day and to give him little and often. He also said the antibiotic Charlie was given was very weak and not very good. He refused to charge us for his consultation as he said his colleague had made an error.
This again seemed to work and we started to introduce a little of the Royal Canin mixed with the Liquivite. However, one again he was unable to hold his food down so I called the vets last night and he was admitted this morning for an ultrasound. When we got Charlie in May he weighed 11.5kg, when we took him to the vets the first time (5/8/10) he was 9.5kg, the third time (12/8/10) 9.75kg which we were pleased with but today (17/8/10) he is 9.25kg. The poor little chap has lost 500g in 4 days which is very, very worrying.
So far we have had the initial blood test back (I demanded another as I explained the confusion with the other dog and that I wanted to be sure what the actual results were) and his white cell count is off the chart and he has a very severe infection. The vet checked his abdomen and Charlie snapped at him so the vet has begun the tests for Pancreatitis. He has had the blood test and as I write he is having his ultrasound. Fingers crossed he will be ok and whatever he has is treatable.
I must admit I'm a bit annoyed with my vets and am considering changing the practice I use. So far I have seen 3 vets, 1 who treated the symptoms but did not do tests for the cause, 1 who made him worse by telling us to do the wrong thing and finally 1 who seems very clued up and does seem to know what he's doing and obviously wants to get to the bottom of Charlie's problem. Vet number 3 is the same one who looked after our Dotty when she had Pyometra so I know he is in good hands.Now is not the time to whinge about my vets as Charlie is still very poorly and his diagnosis and treatment is the most important thing but I can't help wondering what would have happened if I saw vet number 3 first almost 2 weeks ago.
I will keep you all updated.

Charlie has been diagnosed with lumps in his intestine and an abcess. My wife and I have been asked to see the vet at 4pm to discuss our options.
His prognosis is not good and it's now up to us to do the best for Charlie.
My heart is broken as I love him so much

I'm sorry to hear this.We all know how much our beloved dogs mean to us.:(
You have so much to ponder,and I'm sure your meeting with your vets will be helpful.
Thinking of you at this very difficult time.
Sins.

I'm so, so sorry :cry*ing: –it is very hard to get that kind of news from the vet and can only imagine how difficult it must be for you. It won't have helped that getting a proper diagnosis took extra time and involved so many frustrations. Please let us know how your consultation goes. I am sure you will make the best decision you can under the circumstances, and with the knowledge you have. I hope that you will be able to give him some more time comfortably. :flwr:

Please let us know how he gets on, I can only imagine how upset you are:hug:, and understand how much you love him. Thinking of you and Charlie :flwr:

Thank you for your kind words. I feel so angry with myself as I feel like I've failed him. My only job was to keep him safe and well and I feel like I haven't done what I'm supposed to do.
When we got him, as he's quite old my wife and I said we may have him 3 months or we may have him 3 years but no matter how long we have him we will love him. We have only had him in our lives for 2.5 months and it wasn't long enough.
We know what we want to do for our sake and we know what we should do for Charlie's sake but it doesn't make it any easier.
Regardless of what happens I know I will see him again one day.

This is a heartbreaking, I am so sorry for you. I think Charlie is very lucky boy to have you to take care of him. You must not feel you have failed him try and think how much you love him and the joy he has bought into your life. My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time :hug:

Do not feel that you have failed Charlie, you have given him love and affection in his twilight years, that he may not have previously had. :hug: My thoughts are with you, it is never easy knowing that we have to make difficult and heartbreaking decisions for our companions.

Charlie went to sleep today at 4.35pm. I love my little Charlie Farley and am grateful for the short time I had with him. Thank you for all your kind messages and to all at LDR who we got him from for letting this gentleman in to my life.
See you at the bridge my angel
XXX

Charlie -Health Update.

Charlie went to sleep today at 4.35pm. I love my little Charlie Farley and am grateful for the short time I had with him. Thank you for all your kind messages and to all at LDR who we got him from for letting this gentleman in to my life.
See you at the bridge my angel
XXX

I have just read the sad news about Charlie.

You did every-thing you could for Charlie, and the Best Gift you gave him was no more suffering.

Bet

So sorry that Charlie has gone, as Bet said the best gift you gave him was no more suffering. Although your time with him was short you gave him a loving home for his last few months. In truth whatever time we have with our Cavs , be it 10 years or a few months, it is never enough. Know that what you did for him was a brave , loving and selfless thing.My family send :hug: to your family at this hard time.
Run free at the Bridge Charlie xxx

I'm so sorry; what a very difficult decision. :( Thinking of you and your family of people and cavaliers... :flwr:

So so sorry that you had to give Charlie his wings. Run free at the bridge Charlie. Sending :hug: to you and your family at this sad time. His memory will stay in your hearts forever.

I'm sorry to hear you had to set him free.
Three months is such a short time for you to have had him,but to an older cavalier that's three months of love and care and quality of life that was his to enjoy and live.
You never let him down,not for a moment.
Sins

I've just read the update and I'm really very sorry for your loss. Its hard to make those sort of decisions when you love your dog very much. Sadly its part of the job. Thankfully he had found a family who really loved him and that's what counts. :hug::hug:

Back