• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Importance of Rescuing/Adoption

Quinny74

As some of you may know I lost my Charlie earlier this week. Charlie was a 10 year old tri with a heart murmur we adopted in May this year. He had been without a true forever home since February as nobody wanted him because of his age and illness although he was very well cared for and loved in his foster homes.
Charlie made a very big impact on us during his short time with our family and now we are going through a lot of heartache and grief.
The question is would I do it again? The answer is yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

We knew when we adopted an older dog that we would only have him in our care for a short period of time. When we got him my wife and I said it might be 3 months or it might be 3 years but we would make whatever time it was happy for him. Unfortunately it was only 3 months but I wouldn't change the time we had together for the world.

Buying a puppy is a wonderful, exciting time but there is something more special about rescuing/adopting. In my opinion I think it can be summed up that you choose a puppy but an older dog chooses you. A puppy loves you because they know nothing else, an older dog chooses to love. The first time your puppy jumps up and starts kissing you like their life depends on it is a wonderful moment but it is nothing compared to when an older rescue dog does it.
Charlie and me used to have a little game. When he was on my lap I would say to him 'Do you love me Charlie?', Charlie would then climb up me, put his paws on my shoulders and start to lick my face like I was his best friend in the whole world. Is my current heartache worth it for those moments? Without a doubt.

We all love puppies. They are cute, cuddly and funny but an older dog can be more rewarding and loving. If any of you or someone you know are considering getting a dog please consider an older one as the love you give them will be received back tenfold.

What a wonderful post! Thank you for your care of Charlie but also for your advocacy on behalf of Rescues everywhere. May I have permission to share this post with my Clumber rescue group?

Hi ppotterfield. Thank you for your comments, please feel free to reuse. I feel very passionately about this subject and if anything my sad experience with Charlie has made me even more keen to adopt another older dog in the future if the opportunity arises.
If one person considers and adopts an older dog because of what I have written then it will have all been worth it and I would have made Charlie proud.

Last edited:
Thanks for raising awareness of a rescue dog, it's something I feel strongly about too. We took our Blenheim Sonny on in 2002. We had went to our local rescue centre wanting to rehome a dog. The manager matched us to Sonny who was around 2 at the time but had been treated just awfully and she felt we would suit him and he would suit us. We had him into our lives until he had to be PTS in February of this year but giving him a home was the best decision we every made, I can't tell you the joy he brought us. After he passed away my hubby felt we should give another dog a chance. At first I said no as I couldn't face it but our home and lives were so empty so hubby went on dog rescue sites explaining our situation and LDR got in touch about Kaley who by sheer coincidence was another Cav(this time a Tri) She was 7 but as soon as I saw the pics I knew this was what Sonny would want, to take on a rescue just as we did with him . From experience I would ask anyone to seriously consider giving a home to a rescue no matter their age the love and pleasure that they give you is immeasurable.

I love this post - Whilst looking for a cavalier in August 2009, My mother said if we couldn't find one in rescue she would buy a puppy - and I am so happy we searched rescue places first, I wouldn't trade a day with Murphy, even if he doesnt chase a ball, he's much better than a puppy to me, I will always rescue dogs - they need extra loving and comfort, which is an amazing pleasure to give! Also, adopting Murphy is one of the most rewarding things I have done - I know I have changed him, and hes happy, im so proud :)

What a poignant and heartfelt post. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I'm hoping to get a rescue dog someday, when our little girl is a bit older, etc. It can be a very rewarding experience when you rescue a dog, very different from raising a puppy.

What a beautiful post. I think it takes a very special person to take in an oldie knowing they may have a limited amount of time. I think those people are certain angels. I think of how happy Charlie must have been to have been in such a loving home and to know such comfort and joy for the past 3 months. I think you've done Charlie proud.

So perfectly explained, I completely agree. I couldn't imagine a more affectionate dog than my rescue Poppy. She only has to hear the leather creek on the sofa and she's woken from a deep sleep to leap onto my lap and snuggle down in a second as if she'd been asleep on me for ages. I love both my dogs but do feel a tremendous joy to know I've won this little girls heart over (without any effort!) after she lost her first mummy.

I wholeheartedly agree. We've had our Misty a year and 8 months. She was such a shy little thing when we got her, and to see her transformed into the loving little madam she is today is a great gift indeed.

She is a true snuggle bug, and loves to bestow kisses on us and visitors she knows well. She is more reserved with strangers than Murphy is, but Murphy has never known anything other than people love and affection.

What a dog Charlie must have been to have made such an impact in your lives. I only hope that one day I can offer a loving home to a rescue cavalier and take heart in your story that although only having had him for such a short time you would not hesitate to do it again.

Oh, your post is so right on!

We got our first girl from a reputable breeder at 6 months, and we honestly didn't think we could ever love another dog as much as Dottie. When the chance came along to be a foster family for a Lucky Star Cavalier, we "knew" we were happy with the one dog, and just wanted to give back by fostering for a "short time." :roll:

Claire was one of the older dogs needing a foster home, listed as approximately 7 years old. She had urine stained fur, had been clipped short due to severe matting, was being treated for 4 different types of internal parasites, and 9 of her rotted teeth were removed when vetted. However, she just trotted over to us, looked up at us with a big Cavalier smile, and she went home with us. By day two, it was clear that she had picked us for her forever family, and we agreed that she was not going anywhere. Claire and Dottie have a bond like no other, they adore each other. I can't imagine our lives without either one of our precious girls!

When I first saw Claire's photo, I was really taken with her sweetness. I am so happy you decided to keep her. I can follow her progress from your posts. I was seriously thinking about applying for her.

I can't imagine our lives without either one of our precious girls!

That's how I feel about my four....two are rescues too!

J.

As some of you may know I lost my Charlie earlier this week. Charlie was a 10 year old tri with a heart murmur we adopted in May this year. He had been without a true forever home since February as nobody wanted him because of his age and illness although he was very well cared for and loved in his foster homes.
Charlie made a very big impact on us during his short time with our family and now we are going through a lot of heartache and grief.
The question is would I do it again? The answer is yes, without a shadow of a doubt.

We knew when we adopted an older dog that we would only have him in our care for a short period of time. When we got him my wife and I said it might be 3 months or it might be 3 years but we would make whatever time it was happy for him. Unfortunately it was only 3 months but I wouldn't change the time we had together for the world.

Buying a puppy is a wonderful, exciting time but there is something more special about rescuing/adopting. In my opinion I think it can be summed up that you choose a puppy but an older dog chooses you. A puppy loves you because they know nothing else, an older dog chooses to love. The first time your puppy jumps up and starts kissing you like their life depends on it is a wonderful moment but it is nothing compared to when an older rescue dog does it.
Charlie and me used to have a little game. When he was on my lap I would say to him 'Do you love me Charlie?', Charlie would then climb up me, put his paws on my shoulders and start to lick my face like I was his best friend in the whole world. Is my current heartache worth it for those moments? Without a doubt.

We all love puppies. They are cute, cuddly and funny but an older dog can be more rewarding and loving. If any of you or someone you know are considering getting a dog please consider an older one as the love you give them will be received back tenfold.

Wow-- this is a wonderful post. I am so sorry for your loss. I am the Rescue contact for Cavaliers of Greater Atlanta in the US. We have just taken in two 6-year old brothers-- one who has his vision compromised and is (we think) deaf. This post really touches me because many people have refused this pair becausethey are "too old" or have "too many health problems" or they "want a puppy". These dogs are so sweet and loving-- it breaks my heart when people pass them by.

Can I have permission to print your post in our newsletter? It is perfect.

I can honestly say that I would never again have a puppy again after having rescue dogs. They are just so rewarding and such a joy.
Its incredible seeing a dog that may have been mis-treated or maybe not in good condition totally come out of their shell and learn to be a 'normal' pet! All they want is a little bit of love and affection and how difficult is that? :)

Sometimes they break your heart but mostly they steal it and I wouldn't change them for the world.

That last post is just so true, I feel the same way exactly. Charlie a obviously had the same effect on all who knew him and have read about him here.

Back