• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

lilly Put to sleep, severe pancreatitas on 17/8/10 age 4

lilly7

Hello all.

My 4 year old Cavalier Lily-jessica, was put to sleep in UCD Veterinary hospital
Dublin on Tuesday Gone, she had developed chronic pancreatitis over the last 3 months.
My Local Vet in Raheny Dublin Did all that they could for her, but when she went into
UCD Vet Hospital last Thursday they monitored her for a couple of Days as she was badly Jaundiced, Ucd did exploratory surgery on Tuesday, But when they opened her up they found her Liver to be in (final stage condition) so they rang me and asked permission to put her asleep.

I and my wife and 3 young children (girls aged 6 to 13) are devestated by the loss of Lily, and are currently trying to find another Cavalier Pup to replace her (they will have very big boots to fill) preferably a Female Blenhein or Ruby according to the Kids.
My price range is 350-400 euro, there are some dogs on donedeal.ie within
this price range, but I am nervous about buying form websites yet to buy
form a breeder from the Irish Cavalier society, I am Told will cost 600 or 700 euro, which is too expensive, does anyone know of any reputable Puppies from sale preferably the Female Blenheim or Rubies, within a 2 hour drive of Dublin.
Pups must be IKC reg, Microchipped, Vaccinated, and vet checked.

Any help greatly appreciated, as kids and myself are very eager to Get another
Healthy Pup a.s.a.p.

Rgds: Alan

I'm so sorry for your loss. Four years old is too young to have lost Lilly. Although a new pup will not replace her, I understand why you wnat a new one right away. Good luck in your search. Remember to grieve for Lilly though.

I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family :hug:

Please don't buy over the internet, those cheap dogs can come from puppy farms kept in awful conditions. Would you consider rescuing a Cavalier? There are plenty in Ireland in need of a home. I rescued the sweetest Cavalier ever in April. Poppy is about 2 or 3 years old and she's the most affectionate dog ever, even more so than Dylan who I got as a puppy 4 years ago.

Take your time and don't rush into anything. :hug:

Hi and welcome; I am so sorry you have gone through such a devastating situation.

I am afraid you will not get a puppy from a reputable, health checking breeder for under the price the Cavalier Club has mentioned. The breed, while wonderful, does have some serious and potentially costly health problems endemic in the breed and the best chance for a healthy life for any cavalier comes from going to a breeder who does proper health testing. Sadly I know of only one in the country at the moment who does both cardiologist testing and MRI scans on her dogs. But you will be looking at at least €600 for a puppy from a reputable, health testing breeder such as this, and often quite a bit more. Just being vet checked is not enough. Nor is IKC registration -- you need to check for proper testing certificates for cardiologists on the parents (vet heart tests are NOT acceptable, they are fairly meaningless for breeding heart-healthy dogs) and for MRI scans.

Keep in mind that potential medical costs for a puppy from someone who doesn't test and breed according to the MVD and SM protocols will vastly exceed the couple of hundred euro price difference that you are talking about for a puppy, not to mention the potential repeat of the kind of heartbreak you have just gone through.

There is detailed information on buying a puppy here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?26677-Guide-to-buying-a-cavalier-puppy

I don't actually allow public discussions of breeders on the board but best of luck in finding a dog.

Hello Alan,
I'm so sorry to hear about your cavalier,it's such a young age to lose her and in such a devastating way.I would most certainly avoid the website you mentioned.
At the top of your price range you *may* get a cavalier from a showbreeder or club member,depending on the pup.It will not be from Mri scanned,but would probably be from heart tested parents.Believe it or not, it's hard to compete with the purebred nonregistered cavaliers on sale at €150 and breeders sometimes would give preference to a caring owner who wants a pet and who will not be using their puppy for breeding.
I bought a pup three and a half years ago and she now has SM.Her Veterinary costs are escalating and even in her first year her vet bills were substantial for niggly ear/eye and gastrointestinal infections.I paid €400 to a BYB for her even though she was bred from top show lines.
Ten months ago I bought a pup in the UK,with a good history of heart testing and scanning and touch wood,apart from her puppy check and vaccination/microchip she hasn't cost me a cent in vet bills.She's my "so far so good" baby! Her five year old dam was rescanned and is still MRI A.
I know the exchange rate is appalling at the moment,but if you have £600-£800 in your pocket you could be a lot luckier.
Sins

So sorry to hear your sad news. I know exactly how your and your family are feeling at the moment. She was so young too but you will see her again one day.
Good luck with the search for a new puppy but although it is hard at the moment don't let your heart rule your head.

:hug:I'm so very sorry for your loss! How devastated you all must feel to lose Lily so soon.

Please don't buy a puppy from the Internet, they usually come from bad conditions and from puppy farms, which are awful places. Puppies are great fun but so much work and responsibility. Just as a previous poster said, consider a rescue cavalier or other dog because it can be very very rewarding. Also, it would be a great way to honor Lily, I think she would like that:lotsaluv:
Good Luck in your search for a new dog. We are here for you if you need to talk about it or about your losing little Lily.

Why don't you rescue a cavalier through Karlin. I got Pippa when sh was two . She's five now and flying it!! She just gave out to her big sister Phoebe for standing near her kong!!

Thanks.

For all the kind words, I think i will Pay the extra amount and buy a puppy
(thats what the kids want) from a reputable breeder.

Alan

What an awful way to love a beloved pet. I am so sorry for your loss. How lucky that you found this board and will get so much guidance to a new pet. Cavaliers are such a special breed and so worth the effort and cost to find a good breeder.

lindylou

so so sorry to hear of your loss of lilly such a young age. please dont buy from a puppy centre as i bought a blemhem colour in 1980 and named him sam he was 8 weeks when i bought him and sadly pts at 14 weeks with distemper. thinking of you as my eyes are filled with tears.

Hi Alan

I am so sorry for your loss & totally understand you need to find a puppy to help ease the pain. Please consider a rescue dog, I adopted Penny from Karlin, when she was only 9 months old, she is a little fire cracker, she gives so much love & makes us laugh everyday! She is now a year old & life just wouldn't be the same without her!!

Whatever you decide to do, I hope your pain eases..I really am sorry for your loss :(

As far as i am aware buying from the King Charles Cavalier Club of Ireland does not guarantee a health tested puppy or dog unless things have changed when i was looking for a cavalier i contacted several breeders in the club all charging around 600 euro none where doing any certified health checks and when i asked i was told that the club did not require it of members at that time this was two years ago.
I did buy my black and tan girl from a lady in the club, but no health testing had been done on the parents. She is a beautiful example of the breed and i have had no health problems with her so far. Maybe things have changed since i bought her and the club now requires its members to health test. Lets hope so.

Back