Thread: Is there any-body there????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is there any-body there????

I had mentioned on another Thread yesterday about reading the Dangers of Cousins Marrying Cousins for Humans,in -fact there is to be a TV Program on Channel 4 at 8 pm to-night here in Britain on this subject.

What I could do with some help on this subject about is, moving this onto our Cavalier Breed ,I just can't work out ,looking at a Cavalier Pedigree for Cavalier Cousins to have been mated ,would they have the same Grand-Parents or only on the one side, .

I know that Professor Sir P. Bateson said in his Recent Report that Grand-Father to Grand-Daughter or Grand-Mother to Grand-Son Matings was In-breeding, where would Cousins come into this .

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like

Good morning Bet!
    That programme is on C4 tonight I think.
    In human terms,your aunt or uncle's children are your first cousins.Only one set of common grandparents is required.
    There have been discussions here already regarding linebreeding and Coefficients of Inbreeding(COI). It was mentioned in a previous threas that:
    25.00% - parent/offspring or full brother/sister cross
    12.50% - half brother/sister, grandparent/grandpup, or double first cousins crosses
    9.75% - great uncle or aunt/great niece or nephew cross
    6.25% - first cousins
    So,many cavaliers may be the equivalent of offspring from
    "cousin marriages".
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is ther any-body there ????

Quote Originally Posted by sins View Post
    Good morning Bet!
    That programme is on C4 tonight I think.
    In human terms,your aunt or uncle's children are your first cousins.Only one set of common grandparents is required.
    There have been discussions here already regarding linebreeding and Coefficients of Inbreeding(COI). It was mentioned in a previous threas that:
    25.00% - parent/offspring or full brother/sister cross
    12.50% - half brother/sister, grandparent/grandpup, or double first cousins crosses
    9.75% - great uncle or aunt/great niece or nephew cross
    6.25% - first cousins
    So,many cavaliers may be the equivalent of offspring from
    "cousin marriages".
    Sins

Thanks Sins, I just could not work it out.

I know the Article I read in the News- Paper yesterday, said that First Cousin marriages in Humans ,could result in Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes were involved ,and that now some Doctors are trying to find out the carriers if First Cousin Marriages are taking place.

Should be an interesting TV Program to-night, especially for me not just to involve it in our Cavalier Breed , but in my Back-ground there were Cousins marrying Cousins, guess what, I am an Epileptic.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Is there any-body there???

Quote Originally Posted by Bet View Post
    Thanks Sins, I just could not work it out.

I know the Article I read in the News- Paper yesterday, said that First Cousin marriages in Humans ,could result in Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes were involved ,and that now some Doctors are trying to find out the carriers if First Cousin Marriages are taking place.

Should be an interesting TV Program to-night, especially for me not just to involve it in our Cavalier Breed , but in my Back-ground there were Cousins marrying Cousins, guess what, I am an Epileptic.

Bet
    IS THERE ANY- BODY THERE???

Just had a Coffee and a Think about this.

SO, if First Cousins Marrying could be causing Serious Health Problems for their Children ,then it must follow on that Cousins being Mated to Cousins in the Cavalier World could also be causing Serious Health Problems if Recessive Genes are involved.

This then must show why it is so Important to find the Genes for SM and MVD and then the Carriers for these Two Diseases will also be found.

This could maybe be why ,if there has been a lot of Cousins being Mated to Cousins in the Cavalier Breed,as was said at the Recent CKCS CLUB AGM, the Heart Murmurs are not much better than 18 years ago.

Bet
    Bet (Hargreaves)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The programme is on Ch 4 at 9 o'clock BST tonight. It is is the excellent Dispatches series. I am very interested in this too and have set the Sky + to record it.

So far, for what it is worth, I can see two ways of looking at any form of line breeding. I shall be applying intelligent scepticism to the evidence produced in humans presented in tonight's programme, as I try to do when considering both sides of the argument.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Rebel, Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK