• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Time for full time medication??

Nicki and Elvis

Hi All

Looking for some advice for my little angel. Elvis has SM and had decompression surgery last June and recovered very well from this. At the minute he is not on any medication he was on steroids and painkillers in March for a period of around 3 weeks when he last had bad episodes. I am just wondering if its best for him to be on constant medication or is it best for him to be off medication for as long as possible.

For the last couple of weeks he has been very lethargic, he is excessively head scratching and constantly licking his paws even waking up through the night licking at them.

On friday evening last he had a really bad episode when he came back in from the garden having been running around with his brother, he was doing a lot of air scratching and came to sit on my lap where he froze snuggled into me I know he was in pain and its breaking my heart to see him like this :bang:. My vet wants to keep him off meds for as long as possible but is it time to give in???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I think you need to talk to your neurologist urgently -- your vet sounds clueless. These are all signs of serious pain. He needs meds. Many dogs need permanent medication post surgery.

I see you are in Ireland -- am really really alarmed any vet here is giving ridiculous advice like this. Can you PM me who did the surgery (though I have a horrible feeling I know who did it). I also can recommend vets who will offer much more knowledgable advice. Please: get him URGENTLY to someone who understands this condition better. He needs medication and if these pain sessions are returning the person who did the surgery should be consulted immediately --and also should be prescribing appropriate post-surgery meds if he is having *any* pain at all. There is NO reason not to give pain relief! It is cruel to withhold it -- why in the world have you been told he needs to be off medication as long as possible?! :(

If you PM me your number I can ring you tomorrow if you want to talk about the situation.

Oh the poor guy. Yes, please put him on meds. I can't think of a reason in the world why he shouldn't be on meds. I don't know any dog who had decompression surgery who is not on meds, including my Riley. She had decompression surgery 2+ years ago and I consider her a walking miracle - thanks to the surgery and prednisone. She would not be doing well at all if she were off medication. Please call your neurologist ASAP and give him some comfort and relief. Put the sparkle back in his eyes.

I can only echo the above, please, please take the advice from Karlin. This poor little fellow needs urgent pain relief.

Thanx everyone I may sound totally clueless but have been going on advice from my vets who at this point in time i never want to see again! I cant believe that these people are not listening to my concerns everytime i visit with the same symptoms they try to find another solution for the problem :bang:

Hunt starts today for someone who will listen and understand the issue and help my little man

You don't sound clueless at all; it is just the people giving you such advice who do not seem to understand SM very much -- your gut instinct is absolutely spot on, that Elvis needs some help. :flwr: I am taken aback that any vet would not move to help pain though -- I cannot understand why anyone would feel painkillers should be withheld. :( Humans with this condition often need medications after surgery and most dogs do after the decompression as well.

I sent you a PM with some vet suggestions. (y)

Hey everyone!!

Brought Elvis to the nicest vet yesterday (Thanx for the recommendation Karlin :flwr:)

He starts on Tagamet today first step to lets hope a happier and more pain free life for my little man.

Thanks for all your advice without it I wouldnt have known so much going to the vets and would still be as clueless as ever, totally frustrated to think my old vet was so unhelpful as this is my first dog I wasnt really sure about anything and never questioned their advice however now I know to trust my own instinct I know my dog inside out he is my little baby :lotsaluv:

Thanx everyone!!!

Back