• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming & Trimming

islewriter

My wee dog loves to be groomed and this is done on a daily basis. :)

However, I would like to know how many of you 'trim' the coat of your cavalier?

Is this recommended? And if so how best to complete the task.

Eagerly awaiting your info. :)

Hi,

We take Leo to the groomers every 6 weeks where they trim him. I know some people dont like their dogs coat trimmed so I think it's personal preference. I find it easier if his coat is shorter, especially his ears and back endicon_blshing

I always said to myself when Ruby was a Pup that I would never trim her coat- BUT its completely impractiacal with an SM dog as she used to knot herself up on a daily basis with all the scratching before she went on her meds.
Now its impratical because she swims a fair bit and gets quite muddy and mucky on our walks.
I clip behind the ears and back end and also her feet and chest hair. The chest hair as she drools a fair bit and mucks it all up.

Like Meljoy said it is personal preference. With Charlie I havent trimmed him at all- but his hair is very fine and thin. Its a completely different texture to Rubys and just doesnt get knotted like hers does!

Thank you for all your assistance, I do agree on the preference, although I do trim around her paws.

I think Cavalier coats vary enormously depending on whether or not they are castrated/spayed - when the coat can get very heavy and 'cottony'. My Oliver is an unneutered ruby with a quite short, silky coat and has never been trimmed, except for his feet which get huge! He loves water, the muddier the better, but his coat dries quickly. Aled is a neutered Blenheim rescue and had a terrible coat when I got him 18 months ago - thick and cotton. Regular fish oil in his food and selective trimming of the worst cotton ends, especially on his flanks, has made him look a lot better - and I trim his naturally very long and heavy ears a bit because otherwise he takes a mouthful of hair when he picks up his dumbell! I know coats can be a chore to look after, but I do hate seeing Cavaliers trimmed hard all over - coats and ears really short - they just don't look like Cavaliers!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back