• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

There's a hole in our hearts today....

Doggydad

There is a hole in hearts today where our little boy, Snickers used to be.

We had to let our brave little man go yesterday after giving his doggymom & I so much joy this past 17-1/2 years.

A pure Shih Tzu, he was the Alpha Dog in our pack of eight, most of which are rescues but he was not one of the rescues. He was born on Valentine’s Day in 1993 and needless to say has given us many, many fond memories in all his time with us.

We sat together before his last ride to the Vet yesterday by the lake where we live out in the sunshine and fresh air that he used to love to romp around in. I stroked his head, scratched him behind the ears and tried to do the best I could to convey the joy he had given us for so long a time but the tears kept coming so hard………

Doggymom and I had his seven brothers & sisters to return home to last night and bless their hearts they are doing all they can to help us mend but at this point it just doesn’t seem possible.

We held him and put as much love on him as possible to help comfort him during his passing but I can’t remember feeling so inadequate.

We are unable to move or touch his bed yet that remains in his special place in the living room or move the soft rug that he last laid on in Doggymom’s office that he bunched-up just so…….

I can’t believe he will no longer be leading the pack first thing in the morning after their outside time when they all come back in for their peanut-butter toast snack, or that we’ll no longer hear his Woof-Woof dinner time warning in the afternoons if we happen to run past the 3:00 feeding time.

Snickers1.jpg

Snickers2.jpg

Snickers3.jpg

Snickers, you will never know how much we love you, how much joy you brought into our lives or how much you will be missed.

Doggymom & Doggydad.

P.S. – Karlin: It has been quite some time since I’ve posted on the board and I just wanted to give thanks for providing a place of such value for serious pet owners to gain good information as well as to express feelings as above.
Doggydad & Doggymom (Jim & Linda Fenton).
Oh yeah, and not to forget;
Mocha: Pekinese – Shih Tzu mix (rescue).
Abby: Heinz 57 mix (rescue).
Charlie: CKCS Blenheim.
Megan: CKCS Ruby.
Hobie: Poodle mix (rescue).
Bessie: Miniature Poodle (rescue).
Butch: Mix (rescue – Hurricane Ike, Galveston Tex)

Last edited:
How wonderful that Snickers was with you for so long! What a tribute to him and to the care you gave him.

Thanks for sharing the photos! I love the one in the "personalized" life vests!!!

Phyllis

I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful description of Snickers, I could feel your love and your loss in your words.

So sorry to hear that you have given Snickers his wings. May his memory stay forever in your heart.:flwr:

What a lovely tribute to a wonderful dog. Snickers was beautiful. You had many wonderful years with him. His memory will live on in your hearts.

Please accept my sincere condolences.

Peace,
J.

I am so very sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Snickers was really special. He was obviously an extremely loved member of your family.

Thanks everyone so much for your kind words and heartfelt condolences.

All of our babies bring so much joy into our lives it makes it that much more difficult to endure their passing, especially when the decision is up to you to know “when it’s time”.

When you have a group like we have and you care about them as I know everyone on this board does about their own, you basically structure your lives around them.

As I think everyone will agree, each has their own personality and is very much unique in their own way….and although each carries a special place in your heart, one can’t replace the other.

We are both hollow right now with this loss, very difficult to say the least to explain to friends or family who might not be dog lovers. You see, there is a significant difference between a dog owner and a dog lover, which need not be explained to those members in this forum.

To help the healing process, we are trying to focus on the happy times with our little boy, one of which we laugh about a lot and I’d like to share with you.

As a lot of dogs are, Snickers was very protective of his domain. From a puppy after he learned of the existence of ducks, no ducks were allowed in our yard, period.

This incident happened however when he was a pup (about a year old) and before we were aware of this passion.

In 1994 my mom was in a rehab clinic recovering from a fall. She was particularly fond of Snickers so my better half (Doggymom) and I decided to take him with us one day when we went to visit her, the thought being to help cheer her up.

So we spiffied him all up with a bath, and blow-dried coat and away we went.

When we arrived Doggymom walked him out in the front of the facility where there was a grassy area to go potty before we went into the building.

He was on a leash but he always minded very well and since there was no danger (we thought) nearby she turned him loose for a minute so he would feel free to go potty.

Further out front of this grassy area was a retention pond which was three-quarters full of water. Talk about a “perfect storm”. Just about the time Doggymom disconnected Snicker’s leash, a family of ducks landed on the grass nearby.

That boy took off running so fast after those ducks while barking up a storm it was unbelievable!

….and then came the funny part. Those ducks naturally flew into the water and landing gracefully on the surface gliding away thinking they were safe I’m sure but Snickers never skipped a beat.

He ran full speed and jumped off the bank of that pond looking like one of those contest dogs that fly into the water on-command after a Frisbee?

He landed in a full belly-flop (I’m sure he would’ve gotten all 1’s & 2’s if there were Olympic judges on the side raising their score cards for the Diving category) and just kept swimming after those ducks.

Then after-wards, talk about him being a mess to go inside that facility to visit my mom, he was something to behold. But he didn’t care, as far as he was concerned, he had just done his doggy duty for sure!

We all had a good laugh about it that day and remains in our minds as one of his many fond memories.

As you can see in the one photo above where Snickers is in the boat in his life vest after going for a swim with three of his other brothers and sisters, he's looking past Doggymom while she's giving treats to everyone. There's only one thing that diverted his attention away from food, I would bet that there's a duck on the water somewhere behind her!

Thanks again everyone for your kindness, we really appreciate it.

Doggydad & Doggymom.

What a lovely post honouring Snickers, who was clearly a real character of a dog -- it is so sad to read of your heartbreak and how raw your feelings are right now, but very moving, and I know we all understand your distress. I also know sharing your feelings so openly helps many others who might not be able to explain their loss so clearly, or who will feel comforted that others would also share and understand their own sorrow at the loss of a loved companion. There's always a community here to fully comprehend what you are going through.

Thanks for sharing Snickers' ducks story too -- that sure brought a smile!

Snickers certainly had a very long life and what great fortune to have enjoyed him for so long, but no matter how long they are with us, it is never long enough.

They are such lovely tributes to Snickers. Thank you for sharing the duck story, I can totally picture it :)
I am sure he will be so missed.

I'm so sorry for your loss of sweet little Snickers. My heart goes out to you. Wow, what a great 17 and half years he had with you though. Rest in Peace Snickers.

Thanks so much for sharing your stories and photos with us. I really like it!:l*v:

Run Free

Snickers,

There is a place called Rainbow Bridge where all the little doggies are to wait to be with there mommy and daddy's again. A place just for you to run free and let the wind blow. A place where there is no pain or sadness. It's special because God made this place for all of his loving creation. Know that Snickers will be waiting and in the mean time take comfort and knowing that 17 1/2 years was a complete blessing to have such a fur baby be with you and to share that unconditional love that comes from only a dog or any type of pet you may be blessed to care for. My heart is with you and may the Lord comfort you!:hug::hug:

so sorry

What a wonderful tribute. I'm so sorry , and know something of what you are going through as I said goodbye to 2 of my gang this summer, and it is unbelievably hard. This forum is such a help, I agree. A friend of mine suggested I write Whisper's (- a rescue cav, )and Anna's(- retired guide dog brood bitch-) life stories- so i pass the suggestion on to you as you write so eloquently. Thinking of you. Take care.

Back