• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Whats best dry food....

rosemary

:( Hi I had my ruby on a diet of hi life... She weighs 10 kg. She should be about 8...She drank gallons of water so I took her off... My vet said to put her on chappie (i posted an item about this) but she had diarreah. She has a bad heart Grade 5 Murmur. She needs to lose some weight so I can start giving her a longer walk i.e. get the weight off.... Anyway to cut a long story, I bought James Well Beloved Senior Light. She is coming up to 7 yrs... She looked at me with disgust when I put it down but after a while I took it away..... I feel really bad doing this (she is used to chicken breast) but they say there is no goodness in that.... I went out and when I came back put the dish down and she ate the lot.... I can tell she is not that bothered :yuk: but I'm hoping she will get to like it.... I know I must not give in to her and when she loses some weight we can go on nice long walks... :dogwlk:

Mine are both on the James Wellbeloved Lamb and Vegetable Adult, and just reducing the amount I was giving him helped Pippin lose 1.5Kg. He's younger than your ruby though at 4 years old.

I'm not surprised she turned her nose up at kibble :yuk:if she's used to chicken breast.:p.

Keep with it and weigh her monthly - you'll see a much healthier dog when she's the correct weight. Especially with her heart murmur.

Good luck, it's hard to reduce weight when those eyes are looking at you.

If she's used to just eating chicken you could crumble up a little in her dry food, also if you boil the chicken you could soak the dry food in the chickeny water so it tastes more like chicken. If James Wellbeloved is what you want to feed her they do a turkey & rice variety, she may prefer that?

Im currently feeding my two cavies on Royal Canin Cavalier food & they seem grand on it, they were on burns before that but all 3 of my dogs lost weight on it so I changed.

Burns do a chicken & rice variety too which is low fat (& as I said above my dogs all lost weight on it - & they didnt need to!)

Lola my cavalier was really hard to find food for. she has a really sensitive stomach and is prone to putting on weight easily. we feed her on Orijen and think it is absolutely amazing! it contains omega oils to keep the coat really healthy, which helped because after Lola was spayed her coat went horrible! Now it's soft and silky and not fluffy like it was. Also it is hypo-allergenic and doesn't give Lola a bad stomach like everything else we tried did. We had the same problem with Chappie :( Also it contains Glucosamine HCL and MSM for joints to help prevent arthritis.

Would highly recommend it :) though it is a bit pricey if your on a budget!

here's the website where we get it from ==>

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?Keyword=orijen&type=search&searchclause=all

Hope this helps :)

Naomi and the minxes xx

;) Thanks for all your help with what to feed my ruby on. At the moment she is still on the James Well Beloved... But as she has a bad tooth (on antibiotics ) i am softening them with some chicken cube (only a fraction in some water).... icon_blshing

Rosmary, tell me to mind my own business but watch the salt content with gravy cubes (y)

On the JWB front, I feed Scarlett this also.I have found wetting it with slightly boiled water from the kettle gets all the nice smelling flavours going for them, yum :p :)

Had to laugh at the thought of her turning her nose up at the kibble prior to having chicken breast :D

Lola my cavalier was really hard to find food for. she has a really sensitive stomach and is prone to putting on weight easily. we feed her on Orijen and think it is absolutely amazing! it contains omega oils to keep the coat really healthy, which helped because after Lola was spayed her coat went horrible! Now it's soft and silky and not fluffy like it was. Also it is hypo-allergenic and doesn't give Lola a bad stomach like everything else we tried did. We had the same problem with Chappie :( Also it contains Glucosamine HCL and MSM for joints to help prevent arthritis.

Would highly recommend it :) though it is a bit pricey if your on a budget!

here's the website where we get it from ==>

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/Products/Products.asp?Keyword=orijen&type=search&searchclause=all

Hope this helps :)

Naomi and the minxes xx

Hi Naomi,
I love Orijen as a food as well for Maddie - she doesn't eat much and it is hard to keep weight on her, and keep her in tip top condition.
I had to take Pippin off it though, because I was giving him hardly any, and he was just piling on the weight.

My problem is Maddie (fussy moo that she is) will only eat what Pippin has. When this bag of JWB is finished I'm going to try them on Fish4Dogs - it's a slightly higher protein content, which suits Maddie, but not as high as the Orijen, so hopefully Pippin will stay lean and trim.

Frances

Back