• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weeing on feathers

Riorocca

I would be grateful for any advice on how to avoid having to bathe my dog daily. He urinates on his front feathers all the time, it smells really bad and as he is white it looks awful too. Would neutering help with this at all?

Nope, neutering won't help icon_blshing I have an 8 month old that is doing the exact same thing. Now that he's getting a little taller it seems to be geting better. I have a watering can outside that I use to water down the spots when the dogs tinkle. I just splash a little water on his legs as well. Sometimes will use baby wipes to wipe off the legs. Other than that, he gets a bath about once a week. I will also do a "foot wash" in the kitchen sink if they get really bad in between.

Have to laugh....we try not to distract him when he's peeing because when he start looking around he just whizzes all over his legs. If he'll just stand still and go it's not as bad.

My 5 month old does exactly the same thing. I use pet wipes after every potty stop but unfortunately the smell is still there. I can't bath him more than once a fortnight because he gets itchy. Just hoping it will stop with age and and once he starts lifting his leg. Our Vet recommended ensuring that the paws are thoroughly dry between his pads if I wash his front legs daily otherwise it could cause yeast infections and other problems.

Supposedly once they have been spade the urine doesn't smell as strong.

Good luck, hope he grows out of it quickly :xfngr:

Katie and Baxter

He is nearly 3 so I don't think he will grow out of it:sl*p:

I wondered whether neutering would make the wee smell less?:-?

Speaking only from my own experience with this...

I posted an identical post a fair few months back about Charlie and his weeing. I rescued him in September last year at 9 months. He only started cocking his leg a few months later (confidence grew id say) and from that momment I had a very smelly dog on my hands!! His urine STANK and it would be all over his front legs. Had to wash his legs every couple of days and it made my house smell too!

He was neutered in February this year... since then the differences for charlie have been:

1- urine has far far less odour to it
2- he has started squating again (not all the time)
3- his manhood seems to have gotten smaller! (not sure if that is just my imagination though)

therefor he pees far less over himself and when he does cock his leg it goes in more of a downward angle rather than straight for his front legs. Mind you this isnt aall the time and he does still pee on himself occasionally.#

Goood luck- I know how frustrating it is!! (especially having only had a girl in the past!!)

I would be grateful for any advice on how to avoid having to bathe my dog daily. He urinates on his front feathers all the time, it smells really bad and as he is white it looks awful too. Would neutering help with this at all?

Neutering may make the urine smell less, but you will have to watch his weight & possibly cope with an unruly coat.

I make up a solution of baby bath with cool boiled water & keep in a shampoo bottle. It does not need rinsing and can be applied on wet feathers and tummy very quickly & easily using baby wipes.

You can try shortening the leg feathers, or trim the hair on and around the sheath to see if that will alter the direction of the urine stream a little.

The staining is a problem. People that show their dogs can really struggle with this. They sometimes remove this with some sort of bleaching product & then put their dogs in pee coats that protect the fur.

We just had Micah neutered a short while ago and I definitely notice a difference in the strongness of his urine odor.....very much decreased since neutering.

I hate to break it to you, but Lucky is 4 and he still pees on his feathers. :sl*p:

He does it less often now than he used to, but he does still do it. I often wipe his paws after walks.

As Cathy and others said, neutering does help with odor.

Yes I am concerned about the coat changing if I neuter. Although since a very bad cut at the groomers his coat has never been the same so we keep the skirt and feathers but the top is short, which is the bit I would imagine would be cotton wool like?
We do have the area around his manhood cut very short as this is permanently yellow:yuk::yuk:
I will try the baby bath diluted as it is not practical to wash his legs so often and also not very good for his skin so thank you for the suggestion:)

A lot of male dogs pee on their front feathers–it is just one of the hazards of having a long haired breed that is actually quite small and close to the ground–there isn't much room for maneuver! :lol: His coat probably is not going to change much if you have already shaved it at a groomers in the past –breeders regularly say that if you shave down the coat it permanently alters the texture of it in many cases and it sounds like that perhaps has already happened?

I have neutered males as does just about everyone I know with cavaliers, and it is made no significant and in most cases, noticeable difference to their coat at all. But neutering stops that really strong stink of their urine, which is the norm for intact males. And also halts indoor marking in most males. But as others have noted, it won't stop a dog peeing on its feathers.

There are of course strong health and welfare reasons for neutering a dog that you might also want to think about, as coat texture is really a very minor issue in comparison to, say, having your dog stolen by the unscrupulous to be sold on to puppy farmers to be used for breeding, which happens on a frighteningly regular basis with this breed in many countries, including Ireland. It is very easy to see that a male is intact and such dogs are often stolen and sold on or kept for breeding by people who often do not keep the dogs in very humane conditions (I know -- I get what were obviously once pet dogs into rescue fron puppy farms on a regular basis and the places they come from are often hellholes, and the dogs very neglected). They also seem to be a breed of choice and regular target of some unscrupulous individuals in the traveller community for example and are quickly moved on and never found by very upset owners. In addition, an intact male is going to have an enormous drive to get out and roam –when I did regular dog rescue working with one of the Dublin pounds, about 70 to 80% of the dogs picked up by wardens were intact males found wandering, and sometimes roaming in packs attacking females in heat. And therefore they are also more often the victim of road accidents. For these and other welfare reasons, no reputable rescue for example would ever home intact dogs -- and many breeders around the world only home to pet homes on spay/neuter contracts.

Miles was recently neutered at 3 years old, and he had always peed on his front feathers. Contrary to everyone else's experiences, once he was neutered he stopped peeing on his front feathers. He never squats, he still lifts his leg, so I have no idea how he's doing it, but his front legs are always dry! They used to be soaking with pee, it was so gross. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm just saying that maybe it will help??? I did notice that his coat changed a little, it's slightly drier in places (hindquarters), and he also lost some of his curly chest hair :( Other than that his coat is silky and shiny...Truman was neutered at 18 months and was a squatter after that, although he's never peed on his front feathers - which is amazing since he's shorter and has a MUCH longer, thicker coat than Miles...

Not really qualified to answer on this...but: :)

When I had Reuben who was PTS at 11 months of age last Boxing Day, he used to pee on his feathers while squatting, which stunk! Then after he was neutered it stopped (both the wet feathers and the stink!)
Reuben had the biggest willy you have ever seen! Even the vet was shocked! :D

I know that they shrink a bit after neutering, just wondering if that is why their wee doesnt reach his feathers now?

Lewis (10 months) has a smaller willy, no wet feathers while squatting..hasnt learnt to cock his leg yet as he was neutered before he learnt! awww :l*v:

Cooper peed on his entire undercarrage until I got him neutered at three years old.I am so happy he stopped.My life is so much better now.I used to wash his feathers at least three times a day.

Hi we have just had both other boy neutered, Benji 9 months,he used to pee on both his belly and his feathers but I have noticed since he has had his op he has stopped, Ollie 2 1/2 years, tended to just pee on his feathers now and again, so haven't noticed much diffence although I am concerned that Ollie's beautiful coat is changing slighty. Neither boys have been coat apart from a slight trim on their feathers and beards as it gets so think, suppose only time will tell?

Back